Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well I bit the bullet and finally upgraded from the ****ty factory stereo in my 08 GU to a flash Pioneer unit.

Had the unit installed by a reputable supplier over here in WA. All was going sweet and the stereo sounded great.

Then I started to have issues about a week into the new romance. The stereo would drop all programmed settings and revert back to factory. So I called up the supplier and he offered to have a look as the complaint was uncommon (typical for me as uncommon is very common in my house).

He said he noticed a variable voltage drop on starting the ol girl. It ranged from 12.5v to a very low 9v and these new fang-dangle stereos need a constant 10v minimum to maintain the settings hence why the stereo chucks the ****s when she dropped to 9v I am assuming.

He ended up wiring straight to the battery rather than the plug n play harness hoping this would fix it.......it didn't. On my drive home, stopped in to get some fuel, started up to head home and the same happened.....all programmed settings gone and hello factory ones!

Can anyone shed some light if they've had similar issues, battery on the way out or starter motor maybe?
I'm not keen on going to the local auto sparky just yet.

Cheers.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
I know my local R&J batteries will simply plug there nifty device onto the battery enter some values such as CCA and AH and age of the battery and run it through some tests. It will then come out with a printout telling you if it is any good. All for FREE!! And my battery wasn't even too bad, so the guy said I could easily get another 6 months or more out of it if I wanted to, just give it a good charge up. No hard sell or anything like it, just good customer service. So I took my girlfriends car in which was having issues with going flat pretty darn quick, ran same tests ad he said it was definitely below par and I could get away with it if I really wanted but you wouldn't know when it would just not start and guess who would have to come get her....... So we replaced that one.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
It's interesting it started a week after you had the stereo put in. I would have thought if it was an existing problem it would have done it from day one every time you started the vehicle. It could however just be bad luck and your starter motor bushes came to the very end of their lives a week after install but did it start to struggle when starting?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Could all be pure coincidence (which would be uncommon but as you said is common in your house :p ) but the battery is probably starting to fail under load - probably dropped a cell or something... Do you have a spare battery you could try, just incase what they are saying is true, ie always needs more than 10v?

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Sooty_10, that's a good idea. Maybe a trip to Battery World is a good starting point. It's a free check. I didn't think of doing that so cheers.

Hey Frankie73, I've had her 4 years now and she has never struggled to start but saying that, apparently she sounds different when starting according to the stereo dude, like she is struggling but I haven't known any different and had nothing to compare to. I wouldn't say she struggles, it cranks for a couple seconds then away she goes. Maybe the bushes are on the way out? Wouldn't hurt to check them out.

mattym, the battery has been in there from when I bought the car, four years so maybe that's the issue. Never had a problem with it though.
I'll wack in a multimeter tomoz arvo to check it out.
Am I on the money with either one of those two or both being the issue or could it be something I haven't thought of?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Madmule. I had a voltage drop issue a while back. The first thing my auto electrician told me was the ZD30's allways have a voltage drop on startup due to the draw of the glow plugs. So I guess if your battery is a bit low, and 4 years it very well could be, or your charging system is below par this might explain your problem. My problem was the alternator pulley was failing. 2 years old after being replaced. The supplier replaced although out of warranty :) I check battery drain on start up and it still drops to about 11.5 v for a short period.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
Hi Madmule. I had a voltage drop issue a while back. The first thing my auto electrician told me was the ZD30's allways have a voltage drop on startup due to the draw of the glow plugs. So I guess if your battery is a bit low, and 4 years it very well could be, or your charging system is below par this might explain your problem. My problem was the alternator pulley was failing. 2 years old after being replaced. The supplier replaced although out of warranty :) I check battery drain on start up and it still drops to about 11.5 v for a short period.
In my TD42 I definitely get a "voltage drop" when I turn to ignition, never thought of it been the glow system, but have always just put it down to adding loads to the systems. It however would never have dropped below the 11.5v as CJP mentioned.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
Check your starter motor positive lead and the earths. Sounds like a bad connection. I had problems with mine before I added three new earths. The voltage would drop too low for my MSD ignition to work resulting in no start. If I roll started it it would start every time.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
If your battery is 4 years old, as others have suggested that's where I would start. What is your battery like at holding a charge? If you don't start it for a few days does it still crank fine. What about if you stop and start it a few times when cold? ( within reason obviously as too many times would discharge the best fully charged battery )

·
Registered
nissan patrol my 08
10 Posts
Had exactly same problem with a pioneer unit I bought a few months ago. Replaced battery problem solved.

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I got a feeling it might be the battery on the way out. She sits in the garage for about 7-8 days at a time. Starts fine when we take her out but the multimeter showed sub 10 volts when I checked it out this arvo. Problem is it didn't do it every time I started it. I tried it several times and the voltage varied so much ranging from 9.8 to 11.8 volts.

I think CJP might be onto something with the glow plugs demanding so much juice to get the ol girl hot under the collar.

I know a dude at the misses work who used to be a diesel fitter and he has offered to check the GU out tomoz so I'll do that and let ya know what he finds.

Cheers for all the responses too. This forum is awesome.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Yeah I got a feeling it might be the battery on the way out. She sits in the garage for about 7-8 days at a time. Starts fine when we take her out but the multimeter showed sub 10 volts when I checked it out this arvo. Problem is it didn't do it every time I started it. I tried it several times and the voltage varied so much ranging from 9.8 to 11.8 volts.

I think CJP might be onto something with the glow plugs demanding so much juice to get the ol girl hot under the collar.

I know a dude at the misses work who used to be a diesel fitter and he has offered to check the GU out tomoz so I'll do that and let ya know what he finds.

Cheers for all the responses too. This forum is awesome.
Mate all I can say is if she's garaged for 7-8 days and holds a charge, and you can then( after a drive I assume) crank her over several times your battery must be fine.

An inconsistent power draw it a bit weird.

Good luck

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mate all I can say is if she's garaged for 7-8 days and holds a charge, and you can then( after a drive I assume) crank her over several times your battery must be fine.

An inconsistent power draw it a bit weird.

Good luck

Yeah true. Not really sure what's going on. Hoping the dude at the misses work can shed some light on my issue.
I'll post tomoz to tell ya know what the go is if he finds something.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey mate have had problems in the past when using the genuine nissan earth of the original wiring harnesses if you cut your earth wire out of the back of the stero and make your own earth to the body around the chassis it could fix the problem. I put a new stero In my gq a few years back and bought the connection plug no dramas when the stero was quiet but when turned up would cut out factory earth ended up being the problem on my car and my mates as well two years later replaced the earth straight out of the stero to chassis and problem solved. Not saying this is you're problem but easy fix if it is cheers mate

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey mate have had problems in the past when using the genuine nissan earth of the original wiring harnesses if you cut your earth wire out of the back of the stero and make your own earth to the body around the chassis it could fix the problem. I put a new stero In my gq a few years back and bought the connection plug no dramas when the stero was quiet but when turned up would cut out factory earth ended up being the problem on my car and my mates as well two years later replaced the earth straight out of the stero to chassis and problem solved. Not saying this is you're problem but easy fix if it is cheers mate

Hey nath gq, I recon ya spot on there. I cut the earth from the plug n play module and linked the stereo straight to a new earth I made up to the chassis. Seems to have fixed the problem. Time will tell I guess.
Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan
237 Posts
This reminds me of when I used an ISO plug for my Pioneer HU. Over bumps like train lines it would completely wipe everything. I removed all of the ISO side of things and just used the Nissan and the Pioneer ends and joined them. Hope that the new earth continues to help things mate.

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This reminds me of when I used an ISO plug for my Pioneer HU. Over bumps like train lines it would completely wipe everything. I removed all of the ISO side of things and just used the Nissan and the Pioneer ends and joined them. Hope that the new earth continues to help things mate.

Cheers mate, me too. Seems to be doin the trick so far. It's been a week without it stuffin up and dropping all the settings.

·
Registered
Nissan Urvan / Caravan
226 Posts
Earth issues are a common fault on vehicles, and get worse with age. I race an older car, and doubling up earthing seems to solve most of the electrical problems.

Also though, do what aviators do, and get into the habit of powering off all electrical devices before turning off the engine. Never ceases to amaze that drivers will attempt to start a cold engine, with virtually every electrical device powered on. I power off the everything, and wait until all the diagnostics are completed, before starting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts