Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my dad just phoned with an interesting issue. His 2004 zd30 with about 140k on it has just started blowing black smoke under load. Running fine, pulling well, but noticable black under load and on start up. He has changed the filters out. Its not using oil. He intends to get the fault codes checked by nissan, and maybe put a new maf in. But then I asked him what fuel he had used on his way from Mount Gambier to Adelaide. He had filled it up with Vortex premium. I just did a search and looks like this fuel has extra cleaning properties, and different octane level, and wonder if this may be the simple cause. The posts on vortex diesel on this forum note performance issues, but not so much black smoke. This vehicle is stock standard with no mods and no oil seperator or egr block. Could it just be moving some of the crap in the intake and and causing smoke? Not sure it would be black if it was anyway??
And, is it common for faulty MAF sensors to cause excess fueling?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
I had my first full tank of Vortex diesel (110L) the other day and I noticed that it was blowing heaps more black smoke that usual, it did go better and I got better fuel economy (slightly), but the smoke is what stood out for me.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
I have been running mine on Vortex for the past 30,000km and not noticed any difference in smoke since running on BP premium diesel (I stopped when they had a supply issue in WA).
Mine is now at about 130,000km.

I will have more of a look in the mirror when I'm towing the trailer this weekend.

·
Banned
682 Posts
Over fueling would be white/light grey smoke not black. Wouldn't be too worried about it just yet. I use it and mine has alot less smoke now than it did before using it

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
Over fueling would be white/light grey smoke not black. Wouldn't be too worried about it just yet. I use it and mine has alot less smoke now than it did before using it
I would have thought that black was over fuelling because there was so much unburnt carbon coming through?

YouTube - scott boys cummins

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have thought that black was over fuelling because there was so much unburnt carbon coming through?

YouTube - scott boys cummins
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the symptoms of black smoke from the first tank of vortex may have some precedence.
What about faulty MAF, has anyone had over-fueling from that? Cheers.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
Yep had that also, LOTS of black smoke from a faulty MAF and it runs AWESOME! But my black smoke issue is not because of a MAF as I filled up with regular diesel and there was no unusual black smoke, and I was looking for it.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Hi all, my dad just phoned with an interesting issue. His 2004 zd30 with about 140k on it has just started blowing black smoke under load. Running fine, pulling well, but noticable black under load and on start up. He has changed the filters out. Its not using oil. He intends to get the fault codes checked by nissan, and maybe put a new maf in. But then I asked him what fuel he had used on his way from Mount Gambier to Adelaide. He had filled it up with Vortex premium. I just did a search and looks like this fuel has extra cleaning properties, and different octane level, and wonder if this may be the simple cause. The posts on vortex diesel on this forum note performance issues, but not so much black smoke. This vehicle is stock standard with no mods and no oil seperator or egr block. Could it just be moving some of the crap in the intake and and causing smoke? Not sure it would be black if it was anyway??
And, is it common for faulty MAF sensors to cause excess fueling?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
There is no difference in the Cetane rating (not Octane) with Vortex Diesel, have asked and read all the paperwork for it on the Caltex website. Have used it myself for several tanks in succession on a few occasions and monitored it (now back to std), was not aware of any extra smoke from mine, just no difference in performance. It is full of cleaners etc, so it could be decarbonising if he was not a regular user of ChemTech or such additives.

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is no difference in the Cetane rating (not Octane) with Vortex Diesel, have asked and read all the paperwork for it on the Caltex website. Have used it myself for several tanks in succession on a few occasions and monitored it (now back to std), was not aware of any extra smoke from mine, just no difference in performance. It is full of cleaners etc, so it could be decarbonising if he was not a regular user of ChemTech or such additives.
Thanks geeyoutoo, yeh I noticed I had typed octane after I posted, but must have read on someone elses post that it was higher cetane than standard. Thanks for the correction, also his motor has never had any cleaners through it, so sounds like a good theory that it may well just be a fuel cleansing issue. I will let him know. cheers. I assume we are happy that grey/white smoke is normally oil burning, or perhaps air in fuel issue, and that black smoke is over fueling...?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
I assume we are happy that grey/white smoke is normally oil burning, or perhaps air in fuel issue, and that black smoke is over fueling...?
Cheers Mate, sounds about right!

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
Overfueling gives black smoke, not enuf gives white/grey.
We dont have premium diesel in esperance so cant comment, I might wack a bit of 2 stroke oil every few tanks.
I have never seen my 3.0l blow smoke under load, only at idle if I almost stall it(not hard)
Cheers
Zappa

·
Banned
682 Posts
In truck engines of 500hp too much diesel eg. broken injector throws out white smoke so why wouldn't it do it in a smaller engine? Maybe the degree of excess diesel is the answer or the fact that it is poured in and not misted as it should be.
As I said mine was blowing lots of black smoke before I started useing vortex but it has basically stopped now

·
Registered
nissan
625 Posts
In truck engines of 500hp too much diesel eg. broken injector throws out white smoke so why wouldn't it do it in a smaller engine? Maybe the degree of excess diesel is the answer or the fact that it is poured in and not misted as it should be.
As I said mine was blowing lots of black smoke before I started useing vortex but it has basically stopped now
That's my experience a busted injector that pours in fuel makes white smoke. But adjusting a performance chip increases black smoke as it riches up the mix.

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is all quite interesting people. But. My question is how would the cleaning agents in vortex cause black smoke from over fueling? If the fuel is cleaning out gunk, oil and carbon deposits wouldnt that be grey/white? I still think the tank of vortex may well be the simple reason reason for the smoke, but not sure of the science of it. cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
49 Posts
Hi guys,
just reading thru a 4wd action custom guide and noticed Andrew Leimroth of Berrima Diesel service states that he has been alarmed when using premium diesel in their company vehicles that they get high egt's under full load compared to standard diesel.also the temps rise quite fast.after running a couple of tanks of regular fuel thru they cannot replicate these high temps,even on the same roads or on the dyno.Make of it what you will!

·
Registered
nissan
625 Posts
Hi guys,
just reading thru a 4wd action custom guide and noticed Andrew Leimroth of Berrima Diesel service states that he has been alarmed when using premium diesel in their company vehicles that they get high egt's under full load compared to standard diesel.also the temps rise quite fast.after running a couple of tanks of regular fuel thru they cannot replicate these high temps,even on the same roads or on the dyno.Make of it what you will!
If premium diesel has a higher Cetane rating, then it obviously is going to burn hotter? Doesn't seem surprising that EGT would be higher, A good thing IMO.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
black smoke is generally over fueled, or such things as to much egr.
white/grey is often evaporating oil/fuel. often retarded injection causing raw fuel is going out the exhaust and evaporating in the exhaust. leaking injector does the same.

cetane rating is measure of how well it ignites. high cetane fuel will burn with less ignition lag, so a little earlier. that might account for the extra heat.
high cetane fuel should be better for the 3 litre and 2.8 but not the 4.2.

one thing i would do with the ZD30 is to warm it up and let it idle for 10 minutes. that lets the ecu reset the throttle.

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If premium diesel has a higher Cetane rating, then it obviously is going to burn hotter? Doesn't seem surprising that EGT would be higher, A good thing IMO.
But. According to geeyoutoo the cetane rating is not higher (see up a few posts)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts