Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This quote is from another thread but I am interested in feedback on the subject, why would one vehicle show an improvement and not another.

The old diesel wasn't much good but the new Vortex Diesel is definantly a better fuel.
I fill up with BP if I can't find Vortex now. Won't touch the rest.
Interesting, On 2 occasions I have trialled several tanks of diesel Vortex in succession, both on trips and around town and I have not felt or documented any improvement in performance or economy, the only difference I have noted is less frothing at fill up.

The extra few cents a litre are of no benefit to me at all, so I have changed outlets as my old one only stocks Vortex now.

As shown below mine is a 2000 manual ZD30, I wonder why the difference, is it the later models see improvement for some other reason?

Have not tried the BP version of it yet so can't comment on that. Would appreciate feedback, particularly from fellow ZD30 owners.

·
Registered
nissan
68 Posts
My old 2.8TD was harder(than usual) to start on Vortex BUT... ran better, felt smoother, slight improvement in economy. I though it was worth the few extra cents and the time spent double glowing. haven't tried it in the new vehicle yet tho'.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,678 Posts
I find my engine runs smoother now that I run Vortex. Probally has something to do with the cleaning properties of it. It is suposedly more refined than their previous diesel product. The fact that my engine is also tuned for preformance would make it more responsive to changes in fuel than a stock setup.
A point to note is that I also noticed a change between BP Ultimate and the standard BP diesel. The supply issues with BP Ultimate diesel were the reason I changed to Vortex in the first place.
Vortex is also a lot cheaper than the BP product.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I find my engine runs smoother now that I run Vortex. Probally has something to do with the cleaning properties of it. It is suposedly more refined than their previous diesel product. The fact that my engine is also tuned for preformance would make it more responsive to changes in fuel than a stock setup.
A point to note is that I also noticed a change between BP Ultimate and the standard BP diesel. The supply issues with BP Ultimate diesel were the reason I changed to Vortex in the first place.
Vortex is also a lot cheaper than the BP product.
When you say tuned for performance, what tuning do you refer to. I have the usual NADS mods + a chip + 2 3/4" exhaust with high flow cat, which all made a difference, particularly after fitting exhaust. Therefore one would assume mine would respond but it doesn't.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
411 Posts
I'm assuming your not filling up from the same pump as the person you originally quoted.

I think a lot of it has to do with the individual servos. I hear people rave about the bp ultimate but at the bp at northlakes, qld. I find that the ultimate is the same, if not worse than standard caltex diesel.

Normally I fill up with the vortex at the caboolture caltex and find that it keeps the engine quieter to such an extent that I can tell when I fill up with a "bad batch" of the vortex (still better than normal diesel). This is however in a 92 td42 but I thought I'd let you know my findings.

Cheers,
Nic

·
Premium Member
25,678 Posts
I notice the difference more when I have to use another companys diesel product because of where I am at the time.

As for the tuning. I am referring to tuning the Dawes & needle valve to my CC intercooler.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I find it very annoying that the local "W" now only supplies Vortex diesel at 4c extra than standard and then the OTHER local servos use this as a guide to sell their standard diesel at an increased price.
I see the whole thing as just another way of EDUCATING the public to pay more. I have found NO difference to the standard fuel I've been running for last 10 years.
Something I read last night.....
"OIL RESERVES:
At the end of 2009, proved global oil reserves stood at 1,333.1 billion barrels. This compares to a reserve of 1,085.6 billion barrels at the end of 1999, representing a 22.8% increase over the decade."
So much for the huge scare tactics of low reserves that resulted in the big price hikes which we have now BEEN EDUCATED to accept

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm assuming your not filling up from the same pump as the person you originally quoted.Nic
True Nic92gq but, I spent a few weeks working in NSW and used Vortex diesel exclusively there as well, still no difference except for frothing???????

I am referring to tuning the Dawes & needle valve to my CC intercooler.
Skegbudley, Mate I too have Dawes, a dual setup tuned for eco and power, still no difference??????

I see the whole thing as just another way of EDUCATING the public to pay more. I have found NO difference to the standard fuel I've been running for last 10 years.
Yes Porks, You may be closer to the money than you think, from your reply I assume you too notice no difference. I must admit that when I use Vortex I do not add 2T as all this stuff is supposed to be in there, that is why we are paying up to 4c a litre more. When using standard diesel I always use 2t, so any extra "quietness" of the vortex is not evident to me.

Now I will add that I do not say the same about Vortex Petrol, that is different, when we use it in the wife's car the difference is quite noticeable.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
I tried BP ultimate (never had vortex) multiple times in QLD when i lived there and never felt any difference in performance or economy. "Maybe" smoother, but not to any extent to get excited about. I also never noticed any difference when blocking EGR's or snorkle. Seems like a lot of variation in what people experience when playing aroud with these things.

What I do notice without doubt is that Mobil diesel gives by far and away, the best performance and probably a longer tank.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
411 Posts
I haven't used 2t so can't give a comparative between it an the vortex.

It may be that it isn't doing anything as there is "less to fix" on your motor. As I've said I do notice an improvement but my engine is 18 years old and is quite Old in design

I'd like to see a poll of those who do notice a difference in gu's as to what engine is In the car. I wonder if the dinosaur td42 has more to benefit from the newer designed 3l

Cheers,
Nic

·
Premium Member
25,678 Posts
Geeyoutoo,
I think you may have found the answer by mentioning that you use a diesel additive when you don't use Vortex. You engine would have already been running well. You Would technicially be comparing Vortex with a modified diesel. The fact that you don't notice the difference could mean that the additive you are using is working as good as using Vortex.

As for the Dawes setup. I am greedy and run high boost 99% of the time. This and the fact that I have a agressive spool rate means I use more fuel than normal too. This and my driving habbits may add to it all. Its a 2003 ZD30 btw.
You are right about the difference in preformance between the 2 Vortex products. The ULP one is better. Unfortunantly the preformance difference with the diesel version isn't as good.

As for pricing. I've found the W/Caltex at Cleveland is one of the cheaper servos in the area and once you add the discount. The price is even better.

·
Registered
436 Posts
My old 2.8TD was harder(than usual) to start on Vortex BUT... ran better, felt smoother, slight improvement in economy. I though it was worth the few extra cents and the time spent double glowing. haven't tried it in the new vehicle yet tho'.
x2 also got a sucking noise coming from the IP. Haven't tried it again since. It is the only diesel I have found on the market that makes my 2.8 hard to start hot or cold....

P.S. there is another long thread on this http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/caltex-premium-diesel-41756/

·
Registered
216 Posts
I used the vortex diesel once from a near on empty tank and I have NEVER had so many problems!! Starting, spluttering and smoke. Drained it mobile diesel in = all sweet. Never again

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
It's an interesting question. To take it off on a tangent, I believe that most of the petrol that comes into Oz comes in via Caltex - meaning that most other brands are selling Caltex fuel.

I would not be surprised in the least to find that diesel is in (off) the same boat.

Do the re-sellers modify the brew at all? Or are we seeing a placebo effect... worth looking into.

I use Shell only as that's what I have to use in my novated lease, for another 16 months anyway. After that I will probably do some research, or just suck up whatever research evolves from this topic... and for the record, the comments about premium fuel are completely on the money, literally - it's a classic marketing tactic to 'upsell' a product as it takes all that company's products upmarket as well and conditions the punter to accept the extra outlay. No, I'm not in marketing, just someone who tries to understand why the f I am paying so much money just to get by these days...

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
diesell - types ??

Down the Newell Highway the other week couldn't help notice a sign I have never seen before "TRUCK DIESEL".... at Gundy servo.

When asked got, expected answer - this is for trucks.

When asked if it is better or not as good if used in the Patrol - reply,, don't know.

So I guess my question is:- What is truck diesel ???

I used 'truck diesel' out of Gundy and Caltex 'standard' out of Moree.

'Funny', got the same MPG, temps and boost for the same rpm didn't change.

I thought diesel engines were all about the same in there composition/build..

My 2 bobs worth

·
Registered
nissan
135 Posts
the premium deisel is just the same as all the other diesels around they were putting addatives in it before and there still putting the same in now. its just a new name that there selling it under and slowly phasing out the old name servo to servo. the guys running (tuned trucks!) lol mine has head work big garret roller custom w/a cooler setup, modified pump 22psi boost and much more. i have personally found no difference at all. i run addatives but also ran it with none and plain diesel then tried the vortex and still no diff. mates with there standard trucks tried also and still no diff there as well. must be pot luck or just the fact some people see the "premium" sticker on the bowser and then actually for once take any notice to the sound off there truck and whatnot and think its better.. but each to there own and well done if your lucky enough to actually get any gains from it. i recently done a trip from the cape to canberra and back and found no diff from any suppliers from there and back.. just my two cents cheers...

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
When i had a new diesel x-trail i had all kinds of problems (read: dpf regeneration issues) when using anything other than BP (normal or ultimate). Ultimate did give better performance and fuel economy.

I try and use BP now out of habit, but sometimes you have to use whats available.. I always try and fill up where trucks fill up .. less likelyhood of getting older or contaminated fuel.

A diesel mechanic once told me - if if doesn't smell like diesel, don't put it in your diesel vehicle!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts