Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol 2003 GUIII ZD30
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some fun with diagnosing 'failure to start' issue on a ZD30 only done 460,000 kms on the same engine.

Drove the car into the driveway all ok no smoke no noise no worries. Next attempted start no go. Check list:

ECU powered up
No error codes (Code 55)
3/4 Tank of fuel
System bleed OK
Cranks over strong and fast (new batteries)
Fuel Relay checked for activation and continuity between pins
Injector harness checked battery voltage power to pin 7; Pin 6 continuity to ground; PROBLEM Pin 5 is high with ignition on (STOP FUEL).
It seems like an ECU problem, although Pin 5 shows 10.5 volts and Pin 7 shows 12.7 volts

Is it usual for Pin 5 on the harness to be powered up with the ignition on?

Can the ECU be 'tricked' into holding Pin 5 high and can it be corrected in someway?

It has been suggested elsewhere (on one of the reference documents found in this forum) to just cut the wire to pin 5 . . . has anyone here had experience with the results?

Will appreciate any insight that you can provide.
John

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,713 Posts
Sorry I can't help with the electronics advise but the no error code really surprises me, I've had a few small issues with my VP44 (sorted now) and for instance if it doesn't kick in a certain amount of time I get a Pump Com fault P73. I know it's basic but have you checked the connections at the plug, maybe clean out with CRC CO Contact cleaner and then spread with a thin film of DiElectric grease to make sure you have full contact.

Air in the system can wreak havoc with the board on top of the VP44 with regard to excess heat generated by air pockets and reduced fuel lubrication.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi geeyoutoo,

Thanks for the feedback. Have done all the diagnostics in the Max Ellery Manual and according to the Blue Chip Diesel "How to diagnose VP44 Fuel Systems".

Have got power to the glow plugs, checked all vacuum tubes for cracking/perishing and it seems only the fuel is missing!

Can you suggest a supplier (in Perth) for a new VP44?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
86 Posts
If your chasing an exchange pimp Bailey diesel are well priced and offer 100000 - 2 year warranty. Another well known company only offers 20000 - 3 months.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Pin 5 is either a speed sensor on the pump or timing control, either way it is not a requirement to make it start. You should have 120 ohm at the end of each can wire loop, good power and earth supplies and it will start. Have you tried another key?

If all this is ok, you likely have a pump problem, no real short cuts to fixing it.

Andy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you geeyoutoo and Jim Lennox and Diesel-tec for the information. Sorry for not getting back to geeyoutoo and Jim earlier . . . I've had my head down trying to diagnose the problem.

Can anyone tell me if a Navara IP will fit the GU3 ZD30 engine? (It appears to be the same)

·
Registered
772 Posts
It will fit, but the calibration is very different. It may also not work because of nats.

Dont take short cuts, do it first time correctly.

Andy

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,713 Posts
It will fit, but the calibration is very different. It may also not work because of nats.

Dont take short cuts, do it first time correctly.

Andy
Agree, they are for a detuned version of the ZD30DI (8Kw plus other things from memory), I seem to have a recollection of someone trying this several years ago without success.

A job worth doing is worth doing well, especially if he intends to keep the truck, these things have a habit of coming back and biting people on the arse.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Can anyone tell me if a Navara IP will fit the GU3 ZD30 engine? (It appears to be the same)
the difference in tuning is the ecu. pumps can be the same, BUT there is something like 3 different pumps and it must match the ecu.
your really need to find the same model pump but i don't think it will make any difference what engine its off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Man asked clearly, should there be 10.5V at the pin no.5 or not. If there is some condition not met for the ECU to start the engine, ECU won't allow it. So does it send 0V or 10.5V to pin 5 in order to prevent fueling the injectors? That is the question.

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,467 Posts
Navara pump won't work. Different TPS system. Also different Hub on the pump and ECU. Everything is different on the two pumps but then again we only get the 2.5 navara here.

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
790 Posts
Man asked clearly, should there be 10.5V at the pin no.5 or not. If there is some condition not met for the ECU to start the engine, ECU won't allow it. So does it send 0V or 10.5V to pin 5 in order to prevent fueling the injectors? That is the question.
Your answer is in the archive technical doc (link in @geeyoutoo signature, one of the most respected legend of this site). Extract below :

Pump pin 5 is connected to ECU pin 52 : MAB signal.
When idle, that signal is 0.1V, which allows the pump to deliver fuel.

Quite often ( if not all the time) our Patrol various solenoids are 12V power-supplied, and activated by the other wire being put to ground by the ECU ( through an internal transistor ).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having some fun with diagnosing 'failure to start' issue on a ZD30 only done 460,000 kms on the same engine.

Drove the car into the driveway all ok no smoke no noise no worries. Next attempted start no go. Check list:

ECU powered up
No error codes (Code 55)
3/4 Tank of fuel
System bleed OK
Cranks over strong and fast (new batteries)
Fuel Relay checked for activation and continuity between pins
Injector harness checked battery voltage power to pin 7; Pin 6 continuity to ground; PROBLEM Pin 5 is high with ignition on (STOP FUEL).
It seems like an ECU problem, although Pin 5 shows 10.5 volts and Pin 7 shows 12.7 volts

Is it usual for Pin 5 on the harness to be powered up with the ignition on?

Can the ECU be 'tricked' into holding Pin 5 high and can it be corrected in someway?

It has been suggested elsewhere (on one of the reference documents found in this forum) to just cut the wire to pin 5 . . . has anyone here had experience with the results?

Will appreciate any insight that you can provide.
John
Maybe these schematics Phdv61 posted above may help you understand the problem better... cutting wire won't usually help much because there are can_H and can_L that are used by ECU to command the pump electronics, but you can try just to see if it will start. Also there is a signal from crank position sensor which is also required in order to determine when to inject fuel. Not so simple to analyze. In my experience, presence of high voltage at pin#5 means some conditions for starting the engine are not met and ECU will constantly block it. For example, low fuel in the tank and low fuel in a baffle housing inside tank together were enough for ECU to stop engine from starting. Or, absence of crank position sensor signal will also tell ECU not to allow engine start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your answer is in the archive technical doc (link in @geeyoutoo signature, one of the most respected legend of this site). Extract below :

View attachment 525144

View attachment 525145

Pump pin 5 is connected to ECU pin 52 : MAB signal.
When idle, that signal is 0.1V, which allows the pump to deliver fuel.

Quite often ( if not all the time) our Patrol various solenoids are 12V power-supplied, and activated by the other wire being put to ground by the ECU ( through an internal transistor ).
Right in the middle, this should be helpful. And thank you of course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What was the end result of this ? I’m currently having the same issue
Mine was running fine wouldn’t start the next day . Not getting fuel to injectors. I Hotwired the pump following an American procedure on vp44s and still didn’t start so I changed fuel pump . Still no go . Getting code 0706 . Previously was getting a nats code . Just found I’m getting constant 12v to earth pin 5 . Can you cut out pin 5 and ground to engine too bypass ??

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
790 Posts
You'd better fault-find why the ECU would not allow the pump to start.
If not already done, I suggest you download the nissan doc from the archive. Go to section EC. A special test procedure is provided for DTC 0704 and 0706.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You'd better fault-find why the ECU would not allow the pump to start.
If not already done, I suggest you download the nissan doc from the archive. Go to section EC. A special test procedure is provided for DTC 0704 and 0706.
Can you please provide a link? I cannot find it

1 - 20 of 26 Posts