Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,859 Posts
there is one in @geeyoutoo ,s signature.
Lol, lots of links in my signature, and so far I have not been able to change it because the new XF system the forum runs on has much tighter rules than the old vB system so numerous links are no longer 'allowed', luckily my signature Grandfathered across when we migrated to XF 16 months ago so it stayed in tact but as said I cannot change it. For those looking the actual links are in RED and the Workshop Manual download is in post #9 of the DI archives.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lol, lots of links in my signature, and so far I have not been able to change it because the new XF system the forum runs on has much tighter rules than the old vB system so numerous links are no longer 'allowed', luckily my signature Grandfathered across when we migrated to XF 16 months ago so it stayed in tact but as said I cannot change it. For those looking the actual links are in RED and the Workshop Manual download is in post #9 of the DI archives.
links to manual and ecu diagnostics are not working on my phone or laptop

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,859 Posts
links to manual and ecu diagnostics are not working on my phone or laptop
Fixed, try again and let me know, I'm not sure if there is a limit to how many times it can be downloaded, I noticed both had 470 downloads and that number seems to ring a bell, I've had to reload the workshop manual from my laptop around 6 times since I originally loaded it to my storage site.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fixed, try again and let me know, I'm not sure if there is a limit to how many times it can be downloaded, I noticed both had 470 downloads and that number seems to ring a bell, I've had to reload the workshop manual from my laptop around 6 times since I originally loaded it to my storage site.
still not working for me on iPhone .
I have a locksmith coming on Tuesday to look at the security system hopefully that fixes my issue .

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,859 Posts
I know manual is working, I tested it be for replying, for the other you will need PDF reader, but, neither might work on phone anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What was the end result of this ? I’m currently having the same issue
Mine was running fine wouldn’t start the next day . Not getting fuel to injectors. I Hotwired the pump following an American procedure on vp44s and still didn’t start so I changed fuel pump . Still no go . Getting code 0706 . Previously was getting a nats code . Just found I’m getting constant 12v to earth pin 5 . Can you cut out pin 5 and ground to engine too bypass ??
There were/are different technical standards in the US than elsewhere including Europe, where VP44/PSG5 was manufactured for the European market too. So, you can apply method that works there but it doesn't necessarily mean it would work in your case. Maybe PSG that controls the pump on your vehicle requires CANbus message from the ECU to start making high pressure and inject fuel into cylinders. One thing is for sure, there is some condition that is not met and so the ECU is constantly sending direct shutoff command (pin#5). You can try cutting off that wire just to see if it would start, in my case it wouldn't work anyway. I tried another method, direct connection 12V to pin#7, GND to pin#6, and GND to pin#4 (low idle select), although I was not sure what pin#4 actually required and it didn't work again. So, first thing to do is to find why ECU is constantly sending 12V to pin#5 (shutoff pin), its purpose is to command pump stop making high pressure so the engine starves for fuel and stops working.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There were/are different technical standards in the US than elsewhere including Europe, where VP44/PSG5 was manufactured for the European market too. So, you can apply method that works there but it doesn't necessarily mean it would work in your case. Maybe PSG that controls the pump on your vehicle requires CANbus message from the ECU to start making high pressure and inject fuel into cylinders. One thing is for sure, there is some condition that is not met and so the ECU is constantly sending direct shutoff command (pin#5). You can try cutting off that wire just to see if it would start, in my case it wouldn't work anyway. I tried another method, direct connection 12V to pin#7, GND to pin#6, and GND to pin#4 (low idle select), although I was not sure what pin#4 actually required and it didn't work again. So, first thing to do is to find why ECU is constantly sending 12V to pin#5 (shutoff pin), its purpose is to command pump stop making high pressure so the engine starves for fuel and stops working.
still working on this now and haven’t found why pin 5 would be sending message Nats all good. Ecu replacement next up

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
802 Posts
Did you measure the MAF voltage with just the key on, without cranking ?
I do know that if the MAF voltage is not around 1V ( can't remember the exact voltages above which and/or below which the motor would not start but I ensure you it is the case.
MAF unplugged ( no voltage at all) is better than a wrong 'key on' voltage in that case.

There might be other sensors which would prevent the motor to start, as declared 'out of order' by the ECU.
I would also check the temp sensors. I would not be surprised if the coolant temp sensor is far too high, the ECU would not authorize the pump to inject fuel and the motor to start.
I am not convinced this problem comes from your ECU itself.

How did you check the NATS was in order ?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,859 Posts
Did you measure the MAF voltage with just the key on, without cranking ?
I do know that if the MAF voltage is not around 1V ( can't remember the exact voltages above which and/or below which the motor would not start but I ensure you it is the case.
MAF unplugged ( no voltage at all) is better than a wrong 'key on' voltage in that case.

There might be other sensors which would prevent the motor to start, as declared 'out of order' by the ECU.
I would also check the temp sensors. I would not be surprised if the coolant temp sensor is far too high, the ECU would not authorize the pump to inject fuel and the motor to start.
I am not convinced this problem comes from your ECU itself.

How did you check the NATS was in order ?
Normal MAFv reading with ign on is around 1.04v.

·
Registered
802 Posts
And from the top of my head, above 1.3V or 1.4V, the Patrol would not start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
still working on this now and haven’t found why pin 5 would be sending message Nats all good. Ecu replacement next up
You have to find out the reason why ECU sends shut off signal to the pump, before all...in order not to throw your money away. Replacing everything will cost a lot and yet you might end up not resolving the problem. For example, shift lever left in any position other than P/N will result in ECU not allowing engine to start (cranks but not start). Disconnected crankshaft position sensor also. Without starting algorithm we can't really know how some programmer there programmed the ECU. Maybe that temperature sensor can also mess up things there. Maybe if you could just try another (used) ECU to see if things will work, but not to buy expensive part only to realize the old one was good.

·
Registered
802 Posts
In the case of the neutral switch (on a manual), even if out of order (indicating "gear on" all the time, the Patrol would crank and 'jump forward' ( not sure if she would start. probably not).
So check sensors and earthing. There aren't so many. Have a look in the Nissan technical manual(s), they might give you some additional clues too...
@Alesio is right, don't spend a fortune if unnecessary.

Last, but not least, what is indicated in the Nissan doc is for a 'RUNNING MOTOR'.
Be aware that when ignition is ON, motor stopped, it might be a different story.

I have no idea (yet) of the precise "start sequence' dialogue between ECM and IP, but would not be surprised that the 'GO' be provided to the pump by the ECU ONLY when RPM is high enough during cranking, otherwise you would just inject fuel which would not burn. So maybe you should check the pin voltage level DURING cranking as its voltage might change.

A relatively frequent failure on the VP44 pump is one of the two MOSFETs of its electronics failing, either due its soldering points being overheated years after years, and/or one of its two power transistors dying due to high Amps when, for instance, the advance piston is seized. Some companies repair the electronics. The transistor cost is less than $1. Others refurbish the full pump.
With 460 000km, don't be surprised if it happened to you. Average life span in Europe is around 250 000km. So yours did very well already.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts