Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Product Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Parallel
Righto chaps it was my containayednfuel but it’s still got l issues spoke to the garage yesterday and this was his reply

Anything else he could check ?

Thoughts on this oracles ?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,850 Posts
Rather than hijack someone else's thread I'll move you to your own. Give a bit of history of the vehicle and issues, what the mechanic said was obviously out of place (if you trust him).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheer gee

2002 di

I filled up sun tank 2nd time that week , pulled out of station and started transferring from sub to main which had the light on ,

gotnto lights about 200m away and car stalled got it started and light came on with no power ,

had to slip clutch to get it goingbut once moving it was gutless ,

changed fuel filter cleaned maf pump sounded. Rough as guts very. Tapety

car is with rac approved garage that deals with contaminated fuel issues as that’s where Rac recomended

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,850 Posts
Have I got this right, you filled the sub then left the station and started transferring sub to the main? The sub is often the one to get crap in the bottom, the main does also but it is the one that is always on. running on a low main over time has 2 downsides if there is crap in the tank you are pumping through the filter whereas if main is kep reasonably high the crap is diluted. Same goes for the sub, years ago we were determining how much fuel the sub actually held , I pumped it out then kept hitting the button to make sure I had the most I could possibly get, I don't do that anymore because I pumped a whole lot of crap into the filter.
Lets see what the mechanic comes up with, keep us informed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So we have some more info from the mechanic and it’s the timing on the pump that’s rooted and I need a new one apparently , I’ll be going to another mechanic for a second opinion me thinks

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,850 Posts
This is still mystifying. But, go to Diesel Central at Gracemere if your after a great supplier.

Timing on the pump has me a little confused, pump timing is all in the alignment of the pump sprocket and timing chain. There is no adjustment. have a look at my build thread (index first page) where I replaced mine a couple of years ago. Now, if the board on top off the pump is damaged yes there could be something but that should bring up a code in the ECU, also the sensor that sits above the harmonic balancer controls it but again that is a fixture and it that was damaged there should be a code.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is there a lift pump installed that might be stopped or have some form of fuel restriction.

As a non mechanic, to me the story points straight to rubbish/gunk has been picked up by fuel line and there is now a restriction somewhere in the fuel system.
But it could well be a coincidence that that pump has gone just after your fuel up and not related to fuel up.

Do you have ECU talk to check the pump ICV% ?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
1,569 Posts
The timing is a result of a sort of solenoid moving a kind of internal "piston". ( the famous ICV INJ-TIMING pwm value - that you can read with a consult-compatible cable like the ECUtalk cable - which is nothing else but the 12V pwm duty cycle applied by the pump electronics to the Advance Solenoid).
This piston can seize for lack of lubricant (hence the 2 St oil we add to the diesel) and/or heat and/or water and/or air ingress.
Unless your filter was not doing its job, normally dirt should not get through but water or air would.
Due to wear and tear, the ICV ( Injection Control Valve) pwm value is no longer at the right value and deteriorates from its normal 40 to 50% when idle (depending upon if the motor is cold or warm). This is a sign that end of life is getting close.
Apparently your ICV when idle was totally out of its expected range ( as reported by your mechanic).
You may try to clean you IP by running a special cleaner mixed with clean diesel in close circuit as advised elsewhere by @geeyoutoo, adding a good amount 2st oil to lubricate properly. And see how it goes. But usually, it is too late...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts