Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

WA Patrolers are mad bastards

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Kiwi_dingo 
#1 ·
I've been lucky enough to see plenty of highly modded Patrols over in WA. This is one mad GQ with the best engine conversion ever. [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]
With over 300rwkw and 1000 odd nm of torque it's certainly going to upset some people. The engine was picked up on Facebook for the bargain price of $500 and is totally stock inside. Add a few bolt on bits and a ECU tuned by someone that knows what they are doing and we have a ZD30 that is off it's tits. [emoji16]
Trust a Sandgroper to do it...
Enjoy..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Nice experiment and great to see the little ZD30 can hold together, i have always suggested the ZD30 had and has lots of potential, but the deceleration surge needs to be address if the turbo is to last. Semi floating bush bearings just dont like any sort of surge, or maybe he is smart enough to know how to address this, and has fixed this issue, evidence doesn't suggest so as yet..

I never considered a burnout was a measure of power or driveability, but maybe i am just too old now.

#4 ·
the deceleration surge needs to be address if the turbo is to last. Semi floating bush bearings just dont like any sort of surge, or maybe he is smart enough to know how to address this, and has fixed this issue, evidence doesn't suggest so as yet..
Are they still using positive pressure actuators to control the vanes, I know they used to do this on the earlier Toyota 1VD turbos which this ZD30 is also using? Maybe they need to switch over to vacuum or electric style to avoid the vanes from closing when backing off the throttle and having high EMP in there continuing to drive the turbine causing this surge.

#12 · (Edited)
As far as I know, it is a CRD un-opened so has not yet had any valve work or ARP studs etc, although I think Caleb said he is planning on building one with better head studs and some porting work if it is going to help.
406 rwhp so far on the rollers with 33" tyres and with auto gearbox without torque converter lockup there's some slip which might effect torque figure and rpm actual may be higher. Only speculation till they sort that out.
Turbo is a GTurbo modified Toyota V8 G450 turbo, with stepper motor controller and operated by the MOTEC.
It is running larger injectors but I don't know what and the plan was to find even larger injectors.
Fuel pump is not the factory CRD Bosch pump but again they won't say exactly what, but I heard Toyota mentioned.

Massive custom front mount Intercooler, again I don't know what it was out of but it is big. Probably not even being very efficient during a dyno run unless there is some good air flow from fans cooling it.

Also a very large 4" inlet I think it is to the intake manifold plenum, looks more like you find on a highly modified Skyline R32 than what you see on a ZD, but it obviously seems to be working for this one.

Pod filter under the bonnet, but so far I don't think it has a bonnet on it yet. There may be some other air induction venting but as it is a race vehicle not a river wader, I don't know if it will get a snorkel or not.

Not sure if Caleb gets on to the forum, but it would be interesting to hear more from him as far as what he thinks of it's longevity from the motor and turbo. He did say they don't plan to run the tune at full 400+ hp probably dial it back for safer race tune. But I know it is not a tourer or daily driver, it is a race car so this won't be the first engine under the bonnet I am sure of that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.