Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trip report on my solo vehicle trip in June/July.
Started the trip on the Anne Beadell. It took exactly a week. The main drama is , if you break down its a ****. A LONG way for someone to get you, well, a long time really. It is not hard (unless there is 2 inches of rain), We( my mate and I), did all of it in high range 2 wd except for a side trip. Corrugations are the main problem ,but they are not relentless, I felt they were worse around Dellhousie Springs, but those dont go on for days! Let the tyres down and stick to the side of the road.
Sadly, the only vehicle we came across with problems ( fuel tank dragging on the road- almost ! ) was a GU. he got going and made the trip to Ceduna. The RB30 had no probs although the synco on 2nd got slow so I resorted to double de clutching. Okay-ish now, but I fear a total rebuild. oh, a few extra scratches too.
Cape Arid (SW WA ) is a great spot. Quite remote and contrary to the name, if it seriously rained it would be seriously, serious !
Googs track is north of Ceduna. It is a bit of a mini Simpson but obviously not as hard. Great fun.
A few stats. Took 292 l of petrol and gas. (for the Anne Beadell ) 5 jerries in the car and 1 one the roof. 70 l petrol tank, and 90 l gas. Took 80 l water and food x2 people for 10 days. All up weight of vehicle, including 2 people was 2980 kg. Not bad I thought.
Fuel consumption was 20-25 l/100. the Anne beadell used less than highway 100-110 km/hr.
Ran tyres at 29, 25 hot (25,21 cold ) for Anne Beadell. This made corrugations better. Tough dog foam shockers great, 10 second hold before too hot.
Pretty standard car. slightly raised rear springs, original front springs,no duel battery, new BFG tyres, packrack, Al bullbar. Not much else. Motor etc 350k.
So theres life in the old dog yet !
Next year maybe Hay river. Year after Canning ? Who knows, but it is a GQ !!!

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
Thanks for the report. Thinking of doing a similar trip soon. Did you do Goog's track north-south? That's the way I'll have to do it, I've heard it's a bit harder that way? Did you use all your fuel on Anne Beadell?

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
G'day gu joe, I did googs south to north. We happened to be there on Saturday afternoon when there were quite a few day trippers from Ceduna returning.Mind you the vast majority would only be going halfway along to the lake camping ground. I wasnt prepared for the sharp crests on the dunes so a head on was a real possibility, more so than on the simpson. With a flat battery in the CB and no flag I felt a bit of a dill. Mind you a week day would be a lot quieter on the track. Dunes are chopped up on the south side ( similar to the simpson ). With tyres down its no drama at all to do, in fact the second day i forgot to engage 4WD for at least 10 dunes and didnt really notice- couldnt do that on the simpson ! The north side of the dunes are smoother so from Ceduna to Tarcola would be the 'harder' way I think.
Used less fuel than I thought on the A.B.Mind you my girl sucks fuel like a b...... ! I would think most people would use gentle highway consumption. 2WD all the way, no sand, no hills, just corrrruuugggatttions ! But they are do-able, broken up with mildly rocky bits and good bits. Any more than 150 km a day would be hammering imop.( the SA section only ). I didnt do better than 120 in the worst section. Its all over once you reach Ilkurka, its a road more or less after here.( could be a badly corrugated one in the future though ). The graders had gone at least 100 km west of Neales junction when we were there , dont know if they intended to go all the way to Ilkurlka.
I'm glad I did the AB but I'd tick a few more off before I'd go back again !
Good luck, naa , dont need luck ! Have a good time, hope your plans work out !
Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just remembered, there were some sections of sand on the AB. they were a pleasant change and often twisty, great for a bit of rally driving ( well almost ! ). Still 2WD though.
Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
Thanks again mate, It's good to hear a first hand report. Some sites claim that the A.B is extreme, don't attempt it solo.. blah blah blah. As you say, the remoteness of it is the only scary part. I'm looking forward to it. I'll put a report on here in a couple of months when I've done it.

Cheers, Joe

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Any photos?

I went into Cape Arid by myself last year (on the way from WA to SA and Vic) and came back out from Cape Arid up the Baladonia Stock route track from just north of Cape Arid, to Mt Ragged and out to the highway at Balladonia. It was an interesting bit of remote country. Bit rough and slow in places but not too extreme. Boggy in clay pan sections down close to Israelite Bay but got progressively dryer and rockier the further north I went.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts