Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, few mates and I are gonna do a road trip up north around the 22nd of June (with a minimum of 10days off work). We want to do some 4wdn, camping and fishing but are willing to spend some days in caravan parks/accommodation if its the only way around some of the attractions!!

We keen to swim with the whalesharks so will shoot of emails to the various companies, but does anyone have any experiences or recommendations?

Were also thinking of visiting ningaloo reef for a few days, but wondering if camping/fishing is allowed there, or any good accommodation?

Broome is probably the furthermost north we'll go due to time constraints at the moment.

Has anyone done any similar trips and highly recommend any places on the way there or around etc?

cheers

·
Registered
nissan
69 Posts
Ningaloo station is awsome for camping. There is a small fee and is now operating under locked gates but is still good 4wding and camping. (There is one or two free sites around the bombing range area)Coral bay and Exmouth are pretty good too, but restricted to caravan parks., my personnal choice is Coral bay. The trip along the beach between exmouth and Coral bay is worth the drive just watch for the tide before crossing the creek in the middle. Fishing is mainly on the eastern side only but I believe there are a few select spots on the west side. Camping wise between Carnarvon and broome is the blowholes are out of carnarvon, fortescue river area, 40 mile beach, Cleaverville beach between Karratha and Roebourne 80mile beach between hedland and broome, and pretty much every river along the highway has a camp spot of some sort.

·
Registered
nissan
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the info mate. Think broome is outta the cards, coral bay is the definate, think we may try ningaloo and i really want to do Karijini

·
Registered
nissan
69 Posts
Broome is over rated anyway. no big loss there, only good if you have time to cover the area surrounding it. If you get lost look me up and I'll help if I can

·
Registered
nissan patrol
316 Posts
but

·
Registered
nissan patrol
316 Posts
I agree with sparkie Broome is over rated.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
316 Posts
But I just want to let you know that you can fish and camp in both Ningaloo Marine Park and Cape Range National Park. There are over 100 camp sites within the park although at that time of year it is very busy so you may have to get up early 5am ish to line up to get a camp.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
316 Posts
There are many sanctuary zones within the marine park but shore based angling is only restricted in two of them, so fishing on the west side from the shore is definately ok. Ask the local tackle shop for advice on where to go and what you can catch.
As for the whaleshark thing, Ive done it three times with three different companies and my most enjoyable was with Exmouth Dive but they all do a good job and offer different photo/video packages.
Any more questions feel free to pm me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts