Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CF60AC VERB Waeco fridge. It works fine on 12 Volt - but not on 240 Volt.
When the fridge is on 240 volt - two things are happening.
1. The power light is constantly flashing orange or yellow.
2. Temperature indicator constantly flashes.
Does anyone have any idea how to rectify this problem?
Just remember I know absolutely nothing about electronics but I'll have a crack at anything if I can save a buck.
I must mention that I have spoken to some waeco approved fridgies and almost fell over with the prices they were throwing around. $300 to $400 dollars to fix - Now for that kind of coin I can put up with 12 volt operations.
Any ideas!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2003 zd30 manual wagon
530 Posts
i wonder if the 240 volt transformer has had it?
Is it an external one or internal?
I would just get a cheap 240v to 12v transformer with the correct amp output and prob solved

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
If they still run the danfoss compressor its part of the electronic control box and not cheap. You can get second hand ones at some repair shops.

·
Registered
nissan gu td42
170 Posts
From memory its a switch mode power supply (fancy way of saying transformer) if its working fine on 12V I would just run it on 12V via a 240v/12v power supply but do try and keep away from the very cheap and nasty paower supplies.
For instance you could use a Powertech (Fixed 13.8V Power Supply) from Jaycar for about $70.00.

I have only replaced the thermistor in my fridge so I havent looked @ the power side of things.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
You might be better off posting this in the auto electric section - more people will read it?

·
Registered
nissan gu td42ti
92 Posts
I have the CF50 Verb. I started having issues running it on 12v the 240v side was fine. My problem was the poly fuse which acts like a overload, which is located on the 240v electronics board. Hard to explain how the 12v is tied up with out a circuit diagram.
So in a hot car with the compressor going drawing current this all added up to it tripping out all the time.
So to cut a long story short I pissed the 240v side off and re-wired it to just run on 12v. If I need to run it in the house I got a cheap Jaycar 240v - 12v power supply.
The danfoss electronics for memory will automatically switch between 12v and 24v operation.
Best mod I did beside adding another cooling fan on the condensor.

http://thegreynomads.activeboard.com/t42448120/waeco-powersupply/

http://www.ra.danfoss.com/Technical...N0210-20-40_0300-20_08-2011_dehcei100b602.pdf

This explains it better Jimbo throw out the 240v internals if need to run it of a 240 gpo just buy a cheap power supply from jaycar etc.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
My Waeco seems to have a different fault, I'm guessing thermostat related? It freezes no matter what temp setting you put it at.

Is this a fairly cheap fix? I'm assuming someone reading this has had the same problem as I'm led to believe it's a fairly common fault.

This was after being used for a grand total of three weeks total worth of use, when we have needed a second fridge. The engel, however, goes 24/7 for months at a time and lives in the car and has done so for about 11 or 12 years without fault or complaint. Just sayin' .... I know which one I'm happier with.

When I get time I guess I'll have to find a repairer and get it sorted.

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
Leethal, it's the thermistor, my arb fridge is currently getting its second done on warranty (even though it's 8yrs old) I think they are pretty cheap anyway

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
My input is...
Waeco's make good eskies....! Never known anyone who hasn't had troubles with em!

·
Registered
nissan gu td42ti
92 Posts
Waeco were on a good thing till they put there electonics into it. The danfoss system is a good system been around for donkeys and reliable.
Leethal it sounds like the thermistor as previously said they are a pain to replace the whole fridge has to come apart for memory.
There are 12v digital display controllers on ebay that come with a thermocouple. They are set up with a 1oC hysterious to stop the compressor cycling to much.
I had to install one on a mates old waeco before they had temp display. I ran the thermocouple wire around the back of the internal light and used the light wire as draw wire. So I could pull the thermocouple wire and replacement light wire. The thermocouple is placed about 1/2 way down in the fridge so it gets a good overall temperature indicator inside.
The fridge has ran perfect ever since.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
A little known feature of the Waeco fridges is that they actually have a spare thermistor already fitted. All you have to do is unplug the faulty one, locate the wires for the spare and plug them in. It's as simple as that. I've done it to mine. There is a few pages on the web dealing with this, I'll see if I can find one.

EDIT - OK, from a bit of research it appears they only put a second thermistor in the later fridges with the digital temp readout, and possibly only for the CF50 and bigger (mine is a CF80). Not sure if this applies the latest generation fridges (CFX range).
Here is a link to a youtube instruction about replacing the thermistors. It says at the beginning that there is two thermistors, and to plug in the spare first, before going to the trouble of putting a new one in.

·
Registered
nissan
95 Posts
My Waeco seems to have a different fault, I'm guessing thermostat related? It freezes no matter what temp setting you put it at.

Is this a fairly cheap fix? I'm assuming someone reading this has had the same problem as I'm led to believe it's a fairly common fault.

This was after being used for a grand total of three weeks total worth of use, when we have needed a second fridge. The engel, however, goes 24/7 for months at a time and lives in the car and has done so for about 11 or 12 years without fault or complaint. Just sayin' .... I know which one I'm happier with.

Mate this is a copy of a post I put in another thread, very easy to change, just take the control display out and the 2 small wires on a single plug that's the one you need to attach the new one too.

My fridge has not given me any dramas at all, so i empty the fridge(reads beer) and turned off before going back for 2 weeks work, comes home and the missus had grabed a carton for me as i was on the way home, i walked in and the temp read out was going anywhere from 42 to -20 at about 2 second intervals, hmmm pulled the other fridge to cool said beers while i investigate, so i come up with a thermistor shot, so up town i goes, nothing anywhere, so i grabbed a digital thermometer from the home brew shop cut and spliced the wires, and now cold beer again, happy days, grand total of $30 and an hour or so to fit ect, just sent the drill through the casing, poked a hole through the insluation with screw driver, sent the prob in and pushed it up along side the wall of the fridge simple fix. works a treat, hopefully this one will last because it is fully sealled unit.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Brilliant fellas thanks, I'll have a look. Andrew mine is a CF50 about 7 or 8 years old so seems probable it will fit in your category.

I'll have a look.

Thankyou :D

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,995 Posts

3 weeks is decent!

My old man bought one and it crapped out after - you'll love this - 2 days.
He took it back, bought an Engel, which has been flawless. I remember that quite clearly so I keep thinking its recent, but it must be close to 10 years ago now...

Oh and the issue you're having... Is replacing it with an Engel, ARB or Evakool and option? :)

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
I've got an engel that hasn't been out of the car for about ten years, works like the day I got it.

This is just an extra fridge for the odd big trip or fishing trip or lend to the young bloke or whatever. No rush, not that impressed with it anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts