1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a '93 GQ TB42 petrol/gas carby.
All in all a great car, but I'm getting a bit fed up with how gutless it is (as in planting the accelerator is just a leg work-out!). Short of ditching it for a turbo diesel, what other options do I have to up the power? e.g. engine conversion, extractors, turbo, gear ratio.....
What have others done, and with what type of results? Price will also need to be considered obviously!
Cheers all,

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,585 Posts
i thought 4.2 from 92 up were efi

·
Registered
nissan patrol
237 Posts
nah that change happened in '94.

honestly mate, the cheapest upgrade is to convert it to EFI and that's a good start for the rest of the mods unless you're looking at engine swaps.

either find a factory set up, chuck it on and make do or just go aftermarket straight away and throw a turbo on it.

If you want to run real boost, ie more than 7-8psi, you'll be best off pulling the motor down and throwing some better pistons and rods in it along with decent head studs etc.

There are plenty of kits kicking around for you to look at. Engine upgrades, turbo kits and full aftermarket engine management, do a search here and on Google. What ever way you try to swing it, you're still looking at at least 10grand. You could do a lot of other things with 10k including buying a turbo TD42 GQ.

The easier way I think is to grab an RB30DET from a VL commodore. You'll need to change engine mounts but as the RB30 was available in carby NA form from the factory it's a pretty much bolt in affair from there and the rest of the driveline is readily available as well.
Better yet, sell what you've got and buy a factory RB30 patrol and then bin it's motor, swap in the VL motor and wiring and just be done with it. You won't pay more than $1000 for a motor with everything.
I've seen standard motors with aftermarket turbo, intercooler, ECU etc pull well over 350kw, yes kw not hp, it is a rice burner motor after all, without letting go. Even standard, an RB30DET has more power and better fuel economy than what you currently have.
It's also super easy for getting it engineered as that engine came in Patrols anyway, you've just added EFI and a turbo.

There are of course plenty of other engine swaps you could do, but they will ALL cost more than an RB30DET. You could swap in anything from 350 chev, holden and ford V8's, infiniti VH45 V8, TD42, Duramax, 6bt, LS1-X or just about any other engine, it's probably been done before by somebody, somewhere. And they are all more expensive and harder to do.

Anyway, that's my opinion, it'll be interesting to see what other people come up with.

And after all that, use the search button on this forum. I and many others have answered this question many times before.

·
The Cable Guy
Nissan
4,775 Posts
Pretty sure the tb42 (carby) put out more horses than ANY other factory engine until the tb45/8... I've got one and it's bloody thirsty but I've never complained about it being slow, back when I got it on 32's I sat on 160kph for a couple of hours straight with no problems... Mine just has extractors and 2.5 or 2.75 inch zorst.

Anyway, we all want more power, As OffRoad Div said, RB30DET swap, they can pull incredible figures, bugger all of it is where you want it though. To be honest I wouldn't swap in a TD42, they are expensive and they sing when you spend thousands on them but for similar coin you could probably get an LS2 in there... Not 100% haven't priced both conversions but wouldn't be far off.

·
Registered
nissan
863 Posts
Is the dizzy running points or a electronic ignition kit? If you've still got points on her put the electric ignition on her and you'll notice a difference straight up.
Is it tuned to LPG or petrol?
TB42 isn't the fastest motor out there, but it is strong and when maintained they do last. How many kms has the motor done? Is she leaking anywhere? (ie losing compression)

·
Registered
nissan
599 Posts
I'd say start small.. Grab a turbo and exhaust system and run low pressures and tune it untill you can afford the better pistons and head bolts.

·
Registered
nissan
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the dizzy running points or a electronic ignition kit? If you've still got points on her put the electric ignition on her and you'll notice a difference straight up.
Is it tuned to LPG or petrol?
TB42 isn't the fastest motor out there, but it is strong and when maintained they do last. How many kms has the motor done? Is she leaking anywhere? (ie losing compression)
still running points, was told to go electronic ignition so I reckon I'll do that soon. Tuned to gas, pretty sure not losing compression, and done about 320,000Km

·
Registered
nissan
96 Posts
When I had my last tb42 it ran straight gas, redone head with 60thou shaved, pertronix, extractors and 2.5in exhaust and advanced timing some what, it went pretty good I thought even with 35s. But now I have a rb30 straight gas turbo but not finished yet.

I would run straight gas turbo on the tb42

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
3,306 Posts
Straight gas turbo. Cheap to run too
that's the first time a turbo TBanything and the word CHEAP has been used together... :grinroll:
If you don't mind me asking, what do you get fuel wise?? 25-30l petrol/100km seems to be average... I wonder what gas would be??

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol 4.2TDI
204 Posts
I've got a carby TB42 also.
Huge improvement in performance when I kick the passenger out.

Reactions: Dwell01

·
Registered
nissan
863 Posts
still running points, was told to go electronic ignition so I reckon I'll do that soon. Tuned to gas, pretty sure not losing compression, and done about 320,000Km
Lol that's probably the best 'cheapest' mod you can start with. :D
mine cost $300 for the electronic ignition then just the time to fit it. I'd bet you'll find it makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
nissan
863 Posts
that's the first time a turbo TBanything and the word CHEAP has been used together... :grinroll:
If you don't mind me asking, what do you get fuel wise?? 25-30l petrol/100km seems to be average... I wonder what gas would be??
I get approx 250km out of a 60lt LPG tank.

·
Registered
nissan
117 Posts
I'm currently running straight gas turbo (mild boost) in my Mav & have to say I am quite happy with the end result. Like any project take your budget then double it & you should get what it will roughly cost you. In all, I think I spent around 2g which is scary considering I did all the work myself.

Fuel economy is still a topic for debate. Depending how much right boot I give I can expect anything from 25 - 30l per 100km - around town. Once in the bush I usually stop looking......
Being an automatic, full bar work, spares etc doesn't help much either.

If I compare how my car was before hand, an asthmatic under-powered slug which would struggle with any incline above 2 degrees (not to mention chewing more juice!!!). Now, I can accelerate 'HARD' up any hill & easily have enough power to break traction of my Q78s.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
I run a straight gas RB30 so I can;t really say how much gas a TB42 willl use but with the RB30 gas turbo it return about 400-450km from 85l of gas. So I think in monetary words at .53c a liter it gets 18-24l per 100km or $9.50-$12.72 per 100km. For me if I was to loose the MSD ignition (which cost $600) my setup which was done 100% properly and had a few hours on a dyno it cost me $2400. I admit I did use a cheap ebay turbo but it seem to be holding up nicely. Thats just under 200kw at the wheels with a very healthy 1052mn of torque. PGS in mornington tuned it for me with economy as the main concern and they delivered. Basically I did the conversion to gain a "little bit of power" so I didn't have to shift back 2-3 gears to get up slight inclines.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts