Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit annoyed with the current bashing of our elite forces. These men have been over employed and are doing the best they can. Atrocities are committed by both sides, let our men do the job they have been trained to do. When they come home and demob, support them.
Come to think about it, I’m more than a bit annoyed I’m 🤬 furious.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,713 Posts
Yes have been thinking about this for a few days, glad someone started a thread, I was extremely annoyed with ABC staff who started this investigation some years ago, it is very easy for people who have not been in a situation to criticise others who have. I know a couple of guys who have been to Afghanistan, I know a couple of stories.

As the old saying goes, war is hell. A lot of things happen that shouldn't, war and not knowing who you can trust does strange things to people. Look at the arse that shot 3 Australians while they were relaxing in camp, the Afghan Govt has let him go as far as I know, they should be apologising to us.

What got me this morning was the apology to the Afghan citizens, the terrorists that we were fighting were all 'citizens' FCS.

I have no doubt there were atrocities but does that mean every soldier who served us overseas should be looked down on? Yes there are cultures that can develop but that is for higher commanders to manage. I do not believe the statement made today that no one in a high rank including the head guy over there knew nothing about this when he was there, there would have been rumours, it sounds to me like they are trying to distance themselves from the bad events that can happen in war.

I'm very sad for the many good soldiers who fought for us who are now having their name besmirched by association.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For quite some time the media has been trying to tear down Ben Roberts-Smith. Remember when george needless and some bimbos mocked him?

Reactions: oldbloke and Foo

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,713 Posts
For quite some time the media has been trying to tear down Ben Roberts-Smith. Remember when george needless and some bimbos mocked him?
Absolutely remember that well, stands out in my mind above many other events, I never bothered with Negus again, he became an oxygen thief to me as did the other guy on that show and the women, I would not cross the road to piddle on any of them if they were on fire and that goes for a couple of ABC journalists as well.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a good read.

Reactions: Foo

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,713 Posts

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti cab chassis
15,787 Posts
How come we always have to say sorry when its ok for others to be-head people, plant bombs and fly planes into buildings.. As Aussies we are expected to welcome all races into our country..Except our own war heroes.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,818 Posts
There has to be a line drawn somewhere though fellas. Some of the accusations are outside normal battle/conflict situations. In every war, and that includes the ones we celebrate as a nation each year, innocent people were killed. No doubt about that. But highly trained soldiers shooting unarmed prisoners cannot be considered an accident. One of the witnesses is another soldier.

This should not tarnish the rep of every soldier, and it is unfortunate that is what has happened, by way of it being across the news every day. Hopefully this enquiry will not be a witch hunt. Got my fingers crossed it isn't.

My dad was in Vietnam, and one of the blokes he knew was on point during a patrol in a free fire zone. So there was supposed to be no civilians, and anyone was considered to be the enemy. He killed someone that turned out to be a civilian. And he was charged and imprisoned. Poor nasho that most probably never wanted to be there. Lets hope we do not see anything like this happen again.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,713 Posts
Of course there will be 'atrocities', it is/was a dirty war and should be dealt with appropiately and quietly, what I don't believe is that high ranking officers had absolutely no idea anything like that was going on.

I don't know full details but there was a story floating around a little while back about prisoners being loaded onto a US chopper for transport, not knowing the details means it could be used as a what if, the US chopper crew said to our guys there was one to many prisoners for the trip, so assuming the prisoner wasn't being transported for nothing, what would you do? Say hey mate this is your lucky day, off you go to be a threat to us again, or would another option be considered?

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would trust the judgment of an elite soldier over a journalist any day.

·
Registered
nissan
1,265 Posts
And the video of the unarmed civilian being shot in the wheat field what is that.
Do not get me wrong I am very pro military and have the upmost respect for service personal but there has to be a line drawn in the sand or we are no better than the terrorists we are trying to stop.
I watched the General Campbell press conference the other day and to me he was not happy Not happy that it has happened and not happy that it is being aired publicly . I felt very sad for him but I believe what happens now will take a long time with meticulous attention to detail. I hope and expect those personal who were named and investigated get all the help they need . I also think there will be some very prominent people who will not come out of this very well.
But there is one thing I will say and that is to ask any of our service personnel about their Rules of Engagement and listen carefully to their answers and with every thing it's only the 1%ers who Fcuk it up for everyone else.

·
Registered
Nissan
19 Posts
And the video of the unarmed civilian being shot in the wheat field what is that.
Do not get me wrong I am very pro military and have the upmost respect for service personal but there has to be a line drawn in the sand or we are no better than the terrorists we are trying to stop.
I watched the General Campbell press conference the other day and to me he was not happy Not happy that it has happened and not happy that it is being aired publicly . I felt very sad for him but I believe what happens now will take a long time with meticulous attention to detail. I hope and expect those personal who were named and investigated get all the help they need . I also think there will be some very prominent people who will not come out of this very well.
But there is one thing I will say and that is to ask any of our service personnel about their Rules of Engagement and listen carefully to their answers and with every thing it's only the 1%ers who Fcuk it up for everyone else.
All I can say is read what John Howard said in his public statement.

I can’t find it now, but some of it is reported here:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,818 Posts
I would trust the judgment of an elite soldier over a journalist any day.
What concerns me is that some of the allegations come from other soldiers.

Another thing dad told me, was that they were warned under no circumstances to approach the SAS compound. It was not safe to do so. I think that says a lot about what those men had to do, and the effect it had on them.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Ben Roberts Smith has said publicly that he is being investigated for potential war crimes. I think a few are forgetting that the reason that this investigation occurred was because of media reports a number of years ago. The media did not make up those stories. Special forces soldiers approached the media because they knew that the hierarchy was doing nothing and army was sweeping it under the carpet. I think we need to let this play out before jumping to conclusions.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
What concerns me is that some of the allegations come from other soldiers.

Another thing dad told me, was that they were warned under no circumstances to approach the SAS compound. It was not safe to do so. I think that says a lot about what those men had to do, and the effect it had on them.
Not some of the allegations, ALL of the allegations.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,784 Posts
I respect out armed forces personnel, and always will no matter what. And yes, in any conflict there will be innocent people hurt, if I was sent into that situation and was confronted with something like GQshane's example I would also pull the trigger, I would rather be wrong than dead.

But the incidences of the "blooding" of new combatants, SAS or not, as described in the report, along with the summary executions, crimes against humanity and any other serious human rights violations should never be tolerated and those who participated in any acts should be punished under Australian military law. They are military personnel and committed offences that violated military codes of conduct. War is hell, that is why we have codes of conduct.

They should not be charged under civilian law, and certainly not Afghan civilian law (as some have proposed).

Australian needs to acknowledge what has happened and address the issues both here and in Afghanistan where the incidences were known to have happened by locals (and to the world in general). Failure to do address will only go one way, it will breed contempt by others who "will", in turn, target our soldiers, and our civilians.

FFS, we have enough nut jobs who would love to walk into some Australian suburban shopping mall and blow themselves up with out recruiting more.

We need to hold ourselves to a higher standard than those who we are at war against. After all, we are only there because they want to kill as many innocent "infidels" as they can by what ever sneaky and dirty little trick they can to commit these "crimes against humanity".

Not to do so only make us just as bad as them ...

Reactions: GQshayne

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don’t know the author, very interesting read.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I don’t know the author, very interesting read.

Read his bio and tell me where his experience in this area comes from. Just more background noise.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,784 Posts
Watched General Angus Campbell on insiders this morning. I hardly heard what he was saying as I was laughing so hard. He has the weirdest blink I have ever seen. One eye will blink, then the other, sometimes the left will blink fully and the other only half blink, then the right eye will blink and the left will open more. The most independently mobile eye lids I have ever seen lol.

Reactions: 45/70 and rgren2

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,713 Posts
Now the BS has accelerated, this is crap of the highest degree, screw the ch2 journalists who chased this up for a headline. For high ranking officers to say they knew nothing is BS, rumours would have been around. For a few bad seeds, this should have been handled in house, public had no need to know and the SAS does not need to be denigrated in this manner.
Now families in Afghanistan are calling for compensation and legal action to be happening there, Oh yes, we will blindly accept their word 'he was a good boy'.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts