Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just FYI for anyone in future, this does NOT fit a standard bar. The motor is about 15mm too long.

I tried to search beforehand but couldn't come up with any answers so here it is for anyone in future!

Now, to sell the bar and replace with ARB or swap winch to XD9000...

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Why not just the inner plate on the bumper and relocate it. Is the motor touching the support plate vertical? When I put my COMEUP in the GU8 OEM bumper using the OEM winch plate we had to do alot of cutting of the plate just to get it to fit. The bumper is metal so I don't see it been a big issue?

·
Registered
Nissan
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The motor hits the chassis. (Airbag crumple section) Could relocate the front plate and sit the winch off centre but that doesn't seem like the best idea, plus I have done my fair share of modifying and I just want a bolt up fit for this car.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
Just FYI for anyone in future, this does NOT fit a standard bar. The motor is about 15mm too long.

I tried to search beforehand but couldn't come up with any answers so here it is for anyone in future!

Now, to sell the bar and replace with ARB or swap winch to XD9000...
Where did you buy the winch from? When ever I was looking at winches in ARB and other stores, they always told me that the 9.5XP would not fit a factory bar. It is quite common knowledge.

I have a XD9000, but with a 6hp motor (same as 9.5XP) in my factory 3 hoop bar, it was quite simple to move the mounting bracket the 15mm required and you wouldn't be able to tell it is slightly off centre. As for the physics behind pulling from slightly off centre, if it comes down to the difference in forces for that small of a change you were bound to break something anyway that close to the limits. Also Most of the time you never have an anchor point directly centre either.

I had the same problem, bought the same winch and found out that it didn't fit in the Nissan bar, ended up changing the winch for the Warn XDC 9.5. It has the same motor as the XP without the heatsink on the end. Patrol King detailed his install http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/new-warn-xdc-winch-12343/.
If this is the case why not simply remove the heatsink off the 9.5xp? It is after all only a cover.

·
Registered
nissan
1,482 Posts
I cut the ends off on mine. Those crumple sections are part of a system that includes the factory bar ie not bullbar. Once a bullbar is fitted their use is negated. It is wrong to cut them off. I cut them neat in case I ever have to refit them. And I needed a solution on the spot.

·
Registered
Nissan
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The XDC9500 and XP9500 do not use the same motor, the XDC is a 4.6hp and the XP is a 6hp. Also, to clarify, the line speed is not the same. The XP is faster. I went with the XP because they use the bigger more powerful motor.

So it would not be as simple as removing the heat sink, which of course if I did would void any warranty.

Bought the winch directly through a supplier, who I rang today and as I was starting to tell him the issue he realised he had made an error and new it would not fit.

Not to worry, I'll just change it over to the XDC.

As for relocating he mounting plate I have other things I want to be doing more than cutting and removing plates in the bar etc. I'd rather just swap the winch over.

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
Hey Mate.

It is actually possible to do it, two of us in the club both fitted them in the same way and each ran them for a year or two doing some big recoveries of loaded Patrols in Tassie mud. Admittedly we are both now running modified high mounts in tube bars but this wasn't due to any issues with the XP setup.

It requires some 50x8 flat bar inside the winch bar, drill it out to suit the two winch mounting holes in the bar, also drill another hole above these two at the same spacing. The winch is then mounted with the bottom winch mounting holes in what were the top holes on the bar, either weld the flat bar in or just add bolts through the Nissan bar and flat bar where the bottom winch bolts would usually go. this sits the winch clear of the chassis rails and only requires some minor trimming to the bar on the motor side.

I don't see any major downsides to this approach, yes it does sit the winch higher and may increase leverage on the chassis, it still sits lower than my highmount currently does though.

·
Registered
Nissan
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks mate, I'll have as squiz but from memory that doesn't look like it will work either. Yours is a cab chassis which may be different. It's the airbag crumple part that gets in the way. To clear that the winch needs to go up by 4", which won't happen. Only way for it to fit is to move it to the passenger side by about 1".

·
Registered
nissan
382 Posts
Thanks mate, I'll have as squiz but from memory that doesn't look like it will work either. Yours is a cab chassis which may be different. It's the airbag crumple part that gets in the way. To clear that the winch needs to go up by 4", which won't happen. Only way for it to fit is to move it to the passenger side by about 1".
Yep, mine's a cab chassis, no airbags but it does have the crumple zone.

Just measured a spare winch end cap and it was 4.5" higher that mine was mounted, what were the top bolt holes on the bar is where I put the bottom bolts through.

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
I've got the xdc9500 (same reason ) just read on Arb website warn section xtp might be faster but a bonus with the xdc it will cut out before over heating, sounds good to me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts