Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the info, no just after knowledge,

In neutral, input shaft and gears spin freely. Also in neutral, trying to turn the output shaft, no go, what could be binding it up? Not locked solid, turns a bit then excessively tight. Don't want to force it.

In addition, getting new bearings, checked gears, all good, what else does one look for when inspecting these ones. Any weak bits or tricks to check? What do you look for re worn sincros?

The shaft spline failure in fifth, is that only early gu, of can it affect gq boxes as well?

Lastly any good quality bearing/seal kits? Oh and how does the little bearing behind fifth gear get removed, the one that goes in the extension housing, or is it a full output shaft strip and re assemble?

PS THIS IS GOING BACK BEHIND A 6BT CUMMINS SO ONLY WANT TO DO IT ONCE.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advise, can't afford to do that, we tow a van and the engine is a 6bt cummins so it eats gearboxes. The box in the car is coming out this week, this is just a spares box for if we need parts or if we need to put it in instead. I'm just doing the 5 main bearings and the 2 seals. I'm hoping that's all that is needed in the other box. I guess this tear down and inspection is practice and preparation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts