Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
2012 Y61 LWB 4.8L Auto Patrol.
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So since I've had the car there has been a slight wobble at around 100km/h.. wasn't too concerned about it as both the tie rods on the track bar and the drag bar looked like they were on Thier last legs..

Ordered them straight away, but shipping took a while, so started with the basics first.. wheel balance, nope.. alignment (can't do alignment as there was a lot of play in the steering) - fixed that, new steering damper.. didn't do jack.

Removed shims from the knuckles.. didn't do jack..

Then my track and drag bar arrived..

Off to the alignment shop.. swapped out the track rod first as that was completely shot..

I wanted to swap the drag bar too but the bloke obviously wanted to do as little work as possible, so I told him to go for a smoko and swapped both bars myself.. easy peasy..

Did alignment and test drive between swapping the track and drag bar.

After swapping the track rod, no difference..

But after swapping the drag bar (which actually looked still ok) HUGE difference.. just HUGE..

So I'll chock that down to a win. No more wobbles at around 100.. :)

Edit: the track bar was OEM nissan. And the whole thing was around 150 bucks.. thought that was cheap. I got an aftermarket HD drag bar from Oz, (wasn't aware these things came in high definition, not sure if OEM is 480p or 720i but there you have it)

Lolol..

I've got some offset caster bushes that I'll still need to install, but that specific wheel alignment shop didn't have a shop press, so I'll do that some other 30 seconds or so.. the aactual radius arm bushes that are in there are pretty good.. but as before, just because it looks okay doesn't always mean it is okay..

Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
So since I've had the car there has been a slight wobble at around 100km/h.. wasn't too concerned about it as both the tie rods on the track bar and the drag bar looked like they were on Thier last legs..

Ordered them straight away, but shipping took a while, so started with the basics first.. wheel balance, nope.. alignment (can't do alignment as there was a lot of play in the steering) - fixed that, new steering damper.. didn't do jack.

Removed shims from the knuckles.. didn't do jack..

Then my track and drag bar arrived..

Off to the alignment shop.. swapped out the track rod first as that was completely shot..

I wanted to swap the drag bar too but the bloke obviously wanted to do as little work as possible, so I told him to go for a smoko and swapped both bars myself.. easy peasy..

Did alignment and test drive between swapping the track and drag bar.

After swapping the track rod, no difference..

But after swapping the drag bar (which actually looked still ok) HUGE difference.. just HUGE..

So I'll chock that down to a win. No more wobbles at around 100.. :)

Edit: the track bar was OEM nissan. And the whole thing was around 150 bucks.. thought that was cheap. I got an aftermarket HD drag bar from Oz, (wasn't aware these things came in high definition, not sure if OEM is 480p or 720i but there you have it)

Lolol..

I've got some offset caster bushes that I'll still need to install, but that specific wheel alignment shop didn't have a shop press, so I'll do that some other 30 seconds or so.. the aactual radius arm bushes that are in there are pretty good.. but as before, just because it looks okay doesn't always mean it is okay..
Years ago we had many long threads on 'death wobbles' (just a name) they went all over the place, so, from that a list the top 10 were itemised and put into a poll for people to vote on, here's the link, pretty well if one of these don't fix it nothing will, you will notice that wheel balance isn't included, we take that as an absolute basic that should be done straight off.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate, appreciate the leg up, however been through that whole thread with a tooth Combe already.. it鈥檚 funny, very difficult to pin point as it could be as simple as an alignment issue, however if your alignment guy is inapt, could be as simple as that..

mine wasn鈥檛 really a big deal.. I鈥檝e had the 鈥渄eath wobbles鈥, in the MK I used to own a Long time ago, it ain鈥檛 pretty, these were so bad that it ripped the front shackle mounts straight from the chassis..

this is/was nothing like that, there was a slight nibble in the steering, and if I hadent known what to feel for it would probably have gone unnoticed.. not saying I鈥檝e solved it as I鈥檝e got to weld up the steering damper mount, but the drive home last night was pleasantly un eventful, even with no steering damper..

ive got a whole bag of bushes and crap I still have to replace, but we鈥檙e on a good road..

gonna buy a shop press I think鈥

thank again GU2 ;D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I started the replacement of bushes yesterday, thought I'd tackle the front first.

Bought a **** load of bushes from Transgold, via an eBay seller.. it's been hit and miss I must say.. first off all, I ordered a track bar , specified as grease-able, and was sent non grease-able.. easy you say, just return it.. can't, shipping alone back from DXB would be more than I payed for the bloody bar.. hmm so they offer me 30 bucks off...

Hmmm.. sure, cos your bending me over a fence and I got no undies on, what else am I supposed to do...

Then frikkin yesterday, I start on the radius arms, great.. then the sway bars.. not so great, wrong bushes, yep both sets wrong, front and back.., but correct sway links... Weird

Then I start on the panhard bar... And after removing the first bush... **** !! Here we go again, wrong ****ing bush.... ****!!!!

Luckily I have an old panhard bar at home, so I get the missus to drop it at the workshop that I am ****ing renting by the hour...

Bastards... Pretty pissed off.. even gave them my bloody vin number..

Anyways, got the offset radius bushes in.

The rest was a bit of fluff fluff running around trying to get the car drivable to get home at 7pm.

Wood Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool Metal

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Rim Circle

Office supplies Bumper Gas Writing implement Font

Wood Gas Engineering Building Machine

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Household hardware Font

1 - 4 of 4 Posts