Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just today got my cat insurance bill. $160 last year $320 this year!
Yeah, I know, it's only a friggin cat. But from now on she's on the MCC Insurance (My Credit Card)...I have no doubt that every other form of insurance will skyrocket too.

Interesting to see the impact on otherwise reasonably low cost insurance like boats and Third Party Fire And Theft.

Suggest keep an eye on the bills...could be some BIG surprises.

Of course we can't carry huge risks, like the house or car, but maybe some of the lesser ones could be dumped.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just an ordinary cat. And, as you can see, she doesn't know WTF to make of it either.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
How many decades since insurance went down? When I first got insurance back in the 80's, you were rewarded with a lower premium the following year if you didnt make a claim. That was how No Claim Bonus' worked back then.

Now it doesnt seem to make **** difference, 'the only way is up'...

FWIW 10mins ago made my first insurance claim since ~1991-3 something like that.

Watch them bend me over next year...

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
vet bills can be very expensive!
x googolplexianteen

you can insure any pet... it will easily pay itself off in 2 visits.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah. I did insure her. Vet bills can make your eyes water.
Besides that I read as a kid that Winston Churchill said: 'If I could write one word over the front door of every house in England, it would be: Insure.'

Being a conservative, I took it to heart. Who needs a severely burnt arse if it can be prevented?

However, with the prices now it comes down to this: 'Do you want your arse burnt regularly? Or, would you rather risk no burn at all...or at the very least an infrequent burn?

·
Registered
NIssan
882 Posts
Insurance will go up unfortunately due to all the disasters etc that has happened lately. Premiums are based on the cost of claims, the more claims there are and the more they cost the higher the premiums are going to be. I work for an insurance company and just in the past 2 days I have done the final payments for 5 customers to complete their claims = over $120,000 for 5 customers alone (and I don't deal with building claims!) Figures like that push up the average cost and the money has to come from somewhere. Plus there is assessing costs and the normal costs for running a large business. I dread to think of the cost of the cyclone for insurance companies, can guarantee the insurance companies will be tapping their own insurance for it.

Insurance companies have insurance as well (the excess is scary - I know of one where the excess is 250 million dollars, others are probably similar) and their premiums go up also. Insurance companies also need to make money to stay in business (they need money in order to cover joe citizen for what the policy says they are entitled to) Shareholders have a big say also like any other privatized company - gotta keep the shareholders happy.

It sucks bigtime but unfortunately that's the way it works, Insurance needs to have enough money for paying claims, insurance excesses on major disasters and keeping the shareholders happy. I don't like it either, I have insurance on my house and contents, car, bike, boat, trailer..... it's a fair chunk of change, and not going to get better any time soon :-( When I think of the amount I have spent on car insurance alone in the past 10 years I could have bought myself a fairly decent car, and the only car claim I have ever had the costs were claimed back from the guy at fault

As an aside, with all the crap that's been going on, just watch what happens to the share cost for your insurance company of choice.....

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Insurance needs to have enough money for paying claims, insurance excesses on major disasters and keeping the shareholders happy.
And despite all the claims and whineing the insurance companies will do, you can bet they will still post huge profits.
x eleventytrillionteen

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
My friggin cat has cost me $400+ twice in three months - for ticks. You can believe I check the little bastard every day now! Will have to look into insurance.

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,555 Posts
I paid 700 bucks last year for the vet to stick his finger up my daughters cat's bum - goddam furballs - so insuring your pussy aint as stoopid as it sounds

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
My friggin cat has cost me $400+ twice in three months - for ticks. You can believe I check the little bastard every day now! Will have to look into insurance.
How'd you cat get ticks? Do you walk it or something? Surely you don't let it wander the streets pissing on everybody's doorstep, ****ting in their garden beds and working up their dogs... do you?

Other than that, ticks are EASILY prevented... Avantix or similar, fortnightly during summer (monthly in winter) and a monthly worm chew. the only thing i've had to take my dogs to the vet for is chew marks from each other... but i've spent alot more on vet fees in one year than i paid for each of the dogs.

I think i will be looking into insurance:confused:. SOOO 'spensive though.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Vets have a lot in common with insurance companies, they like to screw you over for whatever you can pay.

I had a kitten that got mauled by a dog a few years back. Took it to the vet and he gave me a long and grim explaination of how sick teh thing was and he'd need this and that totaling in excess of $1200.
I said there was no way I had $1200 for a kitten as I had been sick myself and out of work and things were tight enough keeping the family fed. I asked if there was any other alternative or would I have to put the thing down. He said there was anotehr treatment but it wasn't as good and would take longer and the results may not be as good. I asked if the thing would be in any more pain and he said no. The price for the second treatment, $130..
Similar..
Our dog ate something it couldnt back out.. took it to Vet as it wouldnt eat, they took an xray and told us they need to do exploritory surgery. $1200. Then once they did that they could do the real operation $2500 + treatment afterwards + this + that. Then told him we didnt have that money spare for us let alone a dog we got free 2mths earlier from the pound.. Then I asked why do they need to operate twice? he couldnt have given a ****. Same vet ****ed us over with our cat too, with 1000+ in bills or die.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Checked out some of the other insurers (my company was Petsecure) and the best deal seems to be offered by Petplan in their 'budget' cover. About the same cost as my last year's cover at $167.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts