Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day guys, I am 4k km away from home on a trip in my 08 patrol. I just discovered water in the passenger footwell, and I mean a lot of water, the whole insulation is filthy soaked, I pulled the whole thing off and it's drying at the moment. I have two wires coming around the AC drain plug but the insulation starts to be wet only half way to the floor after that. (Assuming that I understand where the AC drain is)
Question is, can I continue with my trip and keep an eye on things or is it dangerous to have all the wiring exposed to water?
Do I need to find a solution here or can I keep going another 4 or 5 thousand ks?
Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it seams like it's not from the AC, but isn't the heater core on the driver side? Also I've picked up dirty condensation water, wouldn't the coolant be green?🤔🤔🤔

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,028 Posts
If the coolant in your expension tank is green then any leakage would be also. With aitcon on check the condensate spill line under the bonnet, passenger side firewall about 1/3rd up, it is not unknown for the condensate tube to have retracted and allow spillage into the cabin in the pass footwell.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,144 Posts
The heater hoses go into the firewall on the passenger side, so I presume the heater core is also on that side. AFAIK it's all in the one HVAC box behind the dash.

You might not see the colour of the coolant at first, but you'd smell it. Is it happening while driving? If it is you'll have steam coming out behind the dash. Just to be sure, check your coolant level.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I have actually topped up the coolant yesterday since the expansion box was completely empty, would that have coused the problem? The water in the cab is clear ish, and has no smell at all tho.
I kinda played with the ac drain and its out, im going to leave the carpet out and monitor it tomorrow while driving, do you think I can keep going or am I risking something? 🤔

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,028 Posts
What colour is the water on the floor does it compare to the colour of the coolant? As said it is not unknown for condensate to collect on th floor if the drain becomes blocked or moves back, if you decide it is coolant then don't drive until it is fully checked out, if it is only condensate then you will be fine.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,144 Posts
If it's the a/c, I don't think it's a big deal. As long as you get it dried out ASAP, else it might start growing mildew or start rotting.

If it's coolant you'll overheat the engine if you're not careful. If the expansion bottle was completely empty, you have a leak and need to get that sorted quickly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The water is clear with a bit of dirt (from the carpet I suspect) if it's not going to hurt anything else I'll keep the passenger quarter carpet out and try to monitor where and when it comes out, the missus will have cold feet but at least we can keep going aroud WA and head back to SA when we can 😅

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Does it happen after rain? Since moving to QLD i have noticed a smell in my car after rain but still can't find any water.

·
Registered
Nissan
2 Posts
I chased a wet footwell for months a while back starting with a few creek crossings thinking the grommets in floor were leaking so I sealed up every potential hole I could find. Still water everywhere which I traced to the panel between bonnet and windscreen had plastic clip/screws that go through into air intake which when they leak allows water to go down vents through your a/c and heater fan onto floor. After fixing these I was still getting water after rain and luckily made the effort to remove windscreen and found rust starting there allowing water under windscreen and down the pillar. This is on my 06 GU Ute

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I chased a wet footwell for months a while back starting with a few creek crossings thinking the grommets in floor were leaking so I sealed up every potential hole I could find. Still water everywhere which I traced to the panel between bonnet and windscreen had plastic clip/screws that go through into air intake which when they leak allows water to go down vents through your a/c and heater fan onto floor. After fixing these I was still getting water after rain and luckily made the effort to remove windscreen and found rust starting there allowing water under windscreen and down the pillar. This is on my 06 GU Ute
That was my experience in my 99. I ended up curing the leak (which became obvious after a couple of days long driving in heavy rain) by sealing the plastic clips that Heno mentioned and then by carefully smearing lots of sikaflex over the grommet on the firewall about half way down on the passenger side. I had run a heap of wiring through there and although I had applied lots of sealant previously, the many kms of outback travel since then had opened up the seal. I had to lie right over the guard and apply the sika at the full stretch of my arm and slather all over the joint. Not pretty but it worked.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, just a quick update
Carpet is still off, I'm about 3.5 k km away from home.
I shovved a rod and blew some air up the AC drain in case it was blocked and it's now draining. I still have some random water in the fowell tho.
I have a couple of days of full on driving and that will tell us if it's actually still leaking
Thank you all for your help! 🤙🤙🤙

·
Registered
Nissan
6 Posts
Good day guys, I am 4k km away from home on a trip in my 08 patrol. I just discovered water in the passenger footwell, and I mean a lot of water, the whole insulation is filthy soaked, I pulled the whole thing off and it's drying at the moment. I have two wires coming around the AC drain plug but the insulation starts to be wet only half way to the floor after that. (Assuming that I understand where the AC drain is)
Question is, can I continue with my trip and keep an eye on things or is it dangerous to have all the wiring exposed to water?
Do I need to find a solution here or can I keep going another 4 or 5 thousand ks?
Thank you!
Hi Mate
I’ve had that, it took a few go’s and lots of fiddling to cure it. Is some good forum links here.
Condensation off the aircon lines ? It could be, just follow it on a hot day with the aircon going. If it leaks then, that’s the source.
Coolant ? Would be green or brown colour and hot. Seems unlikely.
Water leaks from rain ? If it leaks when parked at an angle and/or in rain, could be this. If yes, check the firewall grommets and also the securing plastic screws and nuts that fasten the grille under the wipers. Very fiddly and get new screws/nuts online if the old ones are in crappy condition. Also, seal them with silicone or grease to be sure.
Fiddly, but important to get right. Good luck !
Peter

Are you 100% sure it's a/c condensate and not coolant from the heater core?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys, a month has gone by and it was the aircon it's now sorted.
I found a leak from rainwater from the outside tho, not sure if it's same or another one. It leaks from the joint just in front of the footwell, should I seal it off there or should I try and find where it actually comes from up top? Do you guys have any idea where it might be? Thank you all so much

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,028 Posts
I found a leak from rainwater from the outside tho, not sure if it's same or another one. It leaks from the joint just in front of the footwell, should I seal it off there or should I try and find where it actually comes from up top? Do you guys have any idea where it might be? Thank you all so much View attachment 517032
Thanks for feedback, aircon is a constant source of leakage seeping inside. I would be trying to find the source position of the other first rather than just seal there if you feel it is coming from somewhere else, what about windscreen, not unknown for leaks to occur there and dribble down.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I found a leak from rainwater from the outside tho, not sure if it's same or another one. It leaks from the joint just in front of the footwell, should I seal it off there or should I try and find where it actually comes from up top? Do you guys have any idea where it might be? Thank you all so much View attachment 517032
My GQ had a fairly bad leak, it was rust that started under the cowl panel, right where the three panels (firewall, front inner guard panel, and A pillar) join. Caused, I think, by leaves and crud blocking the drain holes in that region. Pull the glove box and the fan motor/fan intake housing off, and then look up into that top corner under the dash and look for rust holes.
I hope that’s not the issue for you, because it’s a major PITA to fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts