Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my patrol booked in today to vet the indicators fitted, dropped it off at 8.00am and was going to pic it up at 12 as was in a First Aid course. Had a mate driving me over to get it and they had left a voice mail that my far wouldn't be ready til 2.30!!! (for a 20 min job I booked 3weeks ago). Got another phone call at 4.15 to say my vehicle was ready. Went and picked it up and started to give them a serve about taking all day to do the job and they advised that they had found water in the wheel bearings while changing my tyres. The young tosser behind the counter advised that this was a safety concern and that they "had to" change them.

I was starting to get a feeling he was going to hit me up for some coin for changing wheel bearings so I asked sternly why they'd done it without my consent. He told me that he'd tried to ring twice and that I didn't ring back. Getting pissed of by now I said that the first message was only to tell me the vehicle would be late and the second was to advise it was ready, I offered to play them on loud speaker for the uppity little sht so I could jog his memory. I then said "Your not planning to charge me for work you've done off your own back are you?" to which the little emo replied with a big sigh and "no, I suppose we can't" so I grabbed the keys and stormed out.

When I got home I found the wheel nut indicators on two of the four wheels weren't pointing to the middle like they were supposed to, so I had to fix that myself.

This was at DC motors who are notoriously ****, but I thought they'd be able to handle a 20minute job without causing any drama. Turns out I was wrong!!

My only question is how would water be in the wheel bearings when I've only driven through a puddle about 4 inches deep yesterday, other than the two weeks of rain. These wheel bearings were replaced 2000km ago at my service as they were found to be very loose. Is there something that could be causing wheel bearings to come loose and therefore fill with water?

·
Registered
473 Posts
When I got home I found the wheel nut indicators on two of the four wheels weren't pointing to the middle like they were supposed to, so I had to fix that myself.

So, How did you fix it ???

;) ;)

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
i would like to know how they found water in the wheel bearings just by changing tyres ?? , unless there was a gooey soup oozing out all over your wheel and brakes then he would have NFI with out pulling everything apart

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would like to know how they found water in the wheel bearings just by changing tyres ?? , unless there was a gooey soup oozing out all over your wheel and brakes then he would have NFI with out pulling everything apart
Just another one of the mysteries to come out of my first interaction with DC motors mate

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BAHAHA you saw the hilariousness in that too??

Adamski: did you check your wheel nut tension? Thats what the indicators are there for - did you consider that maybe the wheel nuts had moved? LOL
Ha ha, no, I didn't think that the wheel nut indicators may actually be doing there job, just assumed they stuffed up. Hopefully they hadn't moved in the 3.5kms to home but better check I guess.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
94 Posts
I actually work at dc motors as a mechanic so I saw your car up on the hoist today, the reason they found the bearings were stuffed was he was going round to torque the wheels up and one stud on def snapped which then involved removing hub away to replace stud, when removing it was pretty hard and once off the inner race of the bigger bearing was stuck on the stub axle and bearing had fell apart and you could tell just by looking at the bearings they had a heap of water through them, after repairing one side they decided to check out the other side after seeing Wat the ds was like, it had also had water through them, there was no way your car could of been taken away with out at least replacing the bearings in the ds, then it is possible the ps could have failed which then comes back on us for not checking it out when we found one side stuffed.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
That seems like a plausable explanation to how they found the problem but i guess the question now is how the bearings ended up like this if they were replaced 2000 klms ago & you haven't driven through water deep enough to contaminate the bearings

Did you give the advisor the opportunity to explain how they found the problem as if you had done this you could have made a informed decision on (i agree they should not have carried out retail work with out your ok) who should pay for the job and you could have taken the old bearings back to the previous repairer & asked for a explanation on how they ended up like that after 2000 klms od driving after being replaced

It would be interesting to know what the outers looked like as it is not unknown for dodgy workshops to just repack the outers (the visable bearing ) instead of doing the inner as well (the most important one) when repacking bearings

I assume the previous bearing replacement wasn't done by DC Motors as you said in a earlier post that this was your first time dealing with them

If what has been posted is correct you may be bagging the wrong workshop

Regards Don

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually work at dc motors as a mechanic so I saw your car up on the hoist today, the reason they found the bearings were stuffed was he was going round to torque the wheels up and one stud on def snapped which then involved removing hub away to replace stud, when removing it was pretty hard and once off the inner race of the bigger bearing was stuck on the stub axle and bearing had fell apart and you could tell just by looking at the bearings they had a heap of water through them, after repairing one side they decided to check out the other side after seeing Wat the ds was like, it had also had water through them, there was no way your car could of been taken away with out at least replacing the bearings in the ds, then it is possible the ps could have failed which then comes back on us for not checking it out when we found one side stuffed.
Thanks mate, great info. If the lad at the front counter had dished out more info and less attitude I might have been more willing to listen and maybe even pay.

I'm definately thinking about calling Campbell motors for a please explain.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,907 Posts
Maybe best to edit you post a bit, especialy how you told off a emo.

He was probably just a normal dude scared with you yelling.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
"Went and picked it up and started to give them a serve about taking all day to do the job"

Perhaps he took offence to you giving him a serve

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Indeed, worst way to address the bloke considering they have tried to call you twice.

I would have given attitude back too.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
OMG, you had to do what????

HOLY PIMPING DRUNK JESUS ON A BIKE!

·
Registered
nissan gu
166 Posts
Well done Thomo :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I made a assumption once that got me in trouble with a customer in 2002

A customer (man in his fifty's) came in with a mid 80's carby corolla complaining of a bad fuel smell & left it with us for the morning

Found that the fuel pump was pissing fuel out of the drain hole in the lower pump housing (leaking through the diaphram) and assumed it would be ok to replace it with a new one (cost was about $130 for the total job) as it was a safety issue

He came back later & went off his brain because i did this without his ok so removed the new pump & refitted the faulty old one and let him go with no charge

Make it a point now to do nothing without the customer okaying it first (if they are not able to be contacted) as it is not worth the potential drama's even though a lot of customers say when they pick up their vehicle it would have been ok to do it without asking them

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
This was at DC motors who are notoriously ****, but I thought they'd be able to handle a 20minute job without causing any drama. Turns out I was wrong!!
Yeah I have had some trouble as well.

I book the car in and they let me deliver it and keep it all day and then call at 4pm and tell me the parts didn't arrive, that happened a few times.

I once had the vehicle booked in six times to get some things fixed but they are still not done, each time they kept the car the whole day and I was assured the work was done but when I inspected it was not. And I am not talking about a wobble here or a vibration there, I am talking about significant vehicle components, all of which I had fixed else where and the parts were definitely screwed.

Received my car back from a service once with no engine oil registering on the dipstick, took me 15 minutes and a chat with the manager to convince them to have a look. I watched them top it up and I reckon it took about 2 litres of engine oil.

Another time they replaced the clutch and a synchro ($1800) but didn't machine the flywheel (a $50 job most mechanics would do as standard with a new clutch). The clutch was screwed again in 3 months. That was after I asked them to do all the wearing parts like bearings while the gearbox was out.

I have tried to sort these things out with them and each time I get shafted. I am not rude, probably a little too polite as I would rather turn away and go somewhere else. I don't think I should have to go off my nut to get things done, just explain the situation and they sort it out but obviously they don't think it is a problem or don't care.

I have lost a lot of sleep stressing about what I should do, some of these things were pretty significant. I would wake up at 3 in the morning stressing and couldn't get back to sleep.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe best to edit you post a bit, especialy how you told off a emo.

He was probably just a normal dude scared with you yelling.
I didn't know emo was an offensive word, didn't mean anything. Merely an observation of his haircut.

There was no yelling just direct questioning.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
that is a fair explanation,
now you have to figure out how water got in there in 2000 km of driving , considering i have never changed my seals (except for the inner axel seals) only cleaned up the old ones in petrol and put them back , and i have had my diffs under water for extended periods of time, yet i have never had any water in the bearings or diffs

either somthing wasnt put back together right or ....... well cant think of anything else

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Went and picked it up and started to give them a serve about taking all day to do the job"

Perhaps he took offence to you giving him a serve

Regards Don
In the two phone calls there was no mention of any further work required. Just lucky I didn't send my wife over with our 11 month old son in tow to wait there all day.

There was no yelling just direct questioning.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts