Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Are you using Water Methanol Injection?

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Are you interested in using WM Injection?

Votes: 3 37.5%
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
@Zd30 Steven
How do you find the pre IC injection in regard to performance and egt?
Would love to hear your feedback
He hasn't done the mod yet, I'm still waiting for his feedback to compare against my experience with it, his IC makes it a bit more difficult to do it in a manner that gives the highest effect. But I can tell you from my experience so far it is worth every bit of effort.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
348 Posts
90 degree elbow arrived today, just waiting on nozzle. @speedy_1 will be posting feedback and water/methanol used also.

Reactions: speedy_1

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
348 Posts
Got some of it done today, need the nozzle for final assembly. Here’s how it looks like with a different size nozzle I have as example. The nozzle sits just past the bead of the IC inlet .

Attachments

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Got some of it done today, need the nozzle for final assembly. Here’s how it looks like with a different size nozzle I have as example. The nozzle sits just past the bead of the IC inlet .
Look forward to reading your report.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
348 Posts
FIRST TEST DRIVE:(second nozzle at IC inlet pipe on a HPD IC). After some boost leaks and a faulty clamp and a family emergency we had our first drive .First thoughts and observations are very promising, there’s definitely an improvement when the injection starts and very noticeable. Used straight water, maybe a 50/50 mix would definitely give more pull. EGTS were around about the same in normal street/main roads.But there was a 5–10degree drop in EGTS on hill climbs. Did notice a drop in TPS %. This seems more evident in a double hill climb on my test track I drive when I carry out tests . Previously I would use 22% TPS and now getting up at 20% , does fill like l’m using less throttle also. Did back to back runs for confirmation. As for water consumption it’s not that much more, need more testing for accurate results. Will be posting more updates on this setup. Just a big thanks to Ross and Peter for the advice and knowledge.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
FIRST TEST DRIVE:(second nozzle at IC inlet pipe on a HPD IC). After some boost leaks and a faulty clamp and a family emergency we had our first drive .First thoughts and observations are very promising, there’s definitely an improvement when the injection starts and very noticeable. Used straight water, maybe a 50/50 mix would definitely give more pull. EGTS were around about the same in normal street/main roads.But there was a 5–10degree drop in EGTS on hill climbs. Did notice a drop in TPS %. This seems more evident in a double hill climb on my test track I drive when I carry out tests . Previously I would use 22% TPS and now getting up at 20% , does fill like l’m using less throttle also. Did back to back runs for confirmation. As for water consumption it’s not that much more, need more testing for accurate results. Will be posting more updates on this setup. Just a big thanks to Ross and Peter for the advice and knowledge.
Good work, I know exactly what you describe, it is doing more with less. Wait until you do the inlet manifold points, man that makes a difference. Along with the little mod I did to the airbox lid, blending from air filter into the Cobra Head, it is like everything is coming together.
Will be interesting to see if you notice any fuel eco improvement.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
348 Posts
More with less is exactly what came to mind, will be doing manifold points at a later time. Just want to complete this trial before I move on. Helping Theo install his snow performance system in the coming days.I think a #2 in inlet might give a bigger hit when injecting start point is activated . I’m using a snow #1 60ml/min in inlet and DO 4 at TB progressive setup start at 7.5 -18 all out. I’ve got a HPD air box lid, with BMC , currently using K&N filter.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
More with less is exactly what came to mind, will be doing manifold points at a later time. Just want to complete this trial before I move on. Helping Theo install his snow performance system in the coming days.I think a #2 in inlet might give a bigger hit when injecting start point is activated . I’m using a snow #1 60ml/min in inlet and DO 4 at TB progressive setup start at 7.5 -18 all out. I’ve got a HPD air box lid, with BMC , currently using K&N filter.
Cool, that centre section is what mine looks like now with a radius. You have had it all along but after doing that small mod to mine I couldn't believe the change in driveability. Funny thing was (and I may have mentioned it in another thread) I did the same thing to ram tubes on the various Weber's I used when I was racing, had completely forgotten about it until reminded by OldMav.
I'm using a CM3 in the IC inlet, 250-300Ml/Min, but mine doesn't start until 16psi (had it at 15 for several day then put it back where it was before) all out at 20psi.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
348 Posts
I purchased a second hand air box to modify but had a stuffed lid , so I liked the look of the HPD air box lid mainly for its polished aluminium look. Very expensive but did suit the BMC extremely well, nice fit for the k&n also. I’m confident a Snow or CM #2 would work very well in IC inlet. Every little bit helps.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I purchased a second hand air box to modify but had a stuffed lid , so I liked the look of the HPD air box lid mainly for its polished aluminium look. Very expensive but did suit the BMC extremely well, nice fit for the k&n also. I’m confident a Snow or CM #2 would work very well in IC inlet. Every little bit helps.
The criterion is set by tank size and distances travelled, it is no secret that bigger the nozzles the better the result, only limit is tank sizing, I would love a 20-30L tank but still finding it challenging to achieve.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Just returned from an 800+K trip again covering highways and back roads, for the second time in a row the old girl achieved L/100k in the 10's and I wasn't driving for eco, just normal. I think pre IC and into manifold is one of the best mods I've ever done, cruising at 102k on the highways and byways the turbo is sitting a few psi under my set injection point, when it comes in it comes in strong but the thing is it is doing more with less overall, BTW got WM usage down to 1.3L/100k so I can work with that on trips no worries.
Still working on re introducing the TPS/solenoid control of Manifold Injecting, have the basics setup, awaiting a few more AN4 200 series fittings and need to tweak the TPS controller I built a few years ago. Going on another road trip next week so it will be after that, will have more raw data as well.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
348 Posts
Good to hear it’s all going well mate, l went for a short drive today as the weather in Melbourne is terrible, Lots of road works on the freeway didn’t help, spent most of the time doing 80klph. Can confirm tps% between 9-11% at 3.38-3.42mafsv. Boost at 4-6psi and EGt between 160-180 in 5th gear on fairly flat road on the freeway.Usage of water is still looking good so far. Should be able to squeeze another drive before topping up with a 50/50 mix.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
348 Posts
Finally ran out of the last ten litres of water in tank , l travelled 116.3 klms with the 10 litres of straight water. My system pretty much sprays not stop as it comes on at 7.5 psi all out at 18 psi. Two nozzles DO 4 in throttle body and SNOW #1 at IC inlet.Next test will be 50/50 mix and raise starting point to 9psi .

Reactions: geeyoutoo

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
6,056 Posts
Keep your eyes on your catch can if you have one, and also on your engine oil dipstick. I found with constant use that you can see signs of condensation in the engine. I have adjusted my system to avoid this.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Hmm! Never have had that issue, but I suppose with higher injection rates and a lower injection setpoint this could quite easily happen.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
348 Posts
Keep your eyes on your catch can if you have one, and also on your engine oil dipstick. I found with constant use that you can see signs of condensation in the engine. I have adjusted my system to avoid this.
Yes, those are the thing’s I check all the time as I mostly drive my truck once or twice a week these days. Check before start up and cool down and look at fluid level in tank also. All good

Reactions: GQshayne
61 - 77 of 77 Posts