Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Are you using Water Methanol Injection?

• Yes

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Are you interested in using WM Injection?

Votes: 6 50.0%
121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
6,265 Posts
The benefits of water injection are numerous, so you could argue a few individual reasons for it-

Makes power in its own right without altering fuelling.
Can be used as a control if you want to wind the fuel up even more.
Can help control EGT's.
Keeps engine internals from clogging up with carbon.
Helps keep engine oil clean, and can extend oil service intervals.
Decreases diesel usage.
And it is free once you have paid for the installation.

In my case, my engine makes enough power and torque as it is, so my reasons for using it are reduced fuel consumption, and its benefits in keeping the engine running clean.

·
Registered
1998 Nissan Patrol DX Wagon TD42+T
103 Posts
The benefits of water injection are numerous, so you could argue a few individual reasons for it-

Makes power in its own right without altering fuelling.
Can be used as a control if you want to wind the fuel up even more.
Can help control EGT's.
Keeps engine internals from clogging up with carbon.
Helps keep engine oil clean, and can extend oil service intervals.
Decreases diesel usage.
And it is free once you have paid for the installation.

In my case, my engine makes enough power and torque as it is, so my reasons for using it are reduced fuel consumption, and its benefits in keeping the engine running clean.
Sounds like an impressive list of benefits.. even just the egts would nearly be enough on their own.. might have to look at a simple setup👌

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Just to add to my earlier writeup, my water tank is small compared to many, 10L, therefore my system is not designed for max Hp or max eco, it's designed to extract the best of both that I can get but still be able to get out on the backroads and have a tank of water last as long as the main tank of diesel, for trips I can very easily lean the WM system out via the CM controller start points. Last consumption numbers were 1.05L/100k, down from an earlier 2.3L/100.

After more drives to ascertain an average L/100 it is quite likely I will do a switcheroo and have the IC inlet connected to TPS control and the inlet manifold injection controlled simply via the CoolingMist controller and do it all again, I may even be able to go to a larger nozzle in the pre IC?

It would be very nice to have a larger tank but finding a nice home for it is the problem. Under the vehicle is out of the question.

·
Registered
1998 Nissan Patrol DX Wagon TD42+T
103 Posts
Just to add to my earlier writeup, my water tank is small compared to many, 10L, therefore my system is not designed for max Hp or max eco, it's designed to extract the best of both that I can get but still be able to get out on the backroads and have a tank of water last as long as the main tank of diesel, for trips I can very easily lean the WM system out via the CM controller start points. Last consumption numbers were 1.05L/100k, down from an earlier 2.3L/100.

After more drives to ascertain an average L/100 it is quite likely I will do a switcheroo and have the IC inlet connected to TPS control and the inlet manifold injection controlled simply via the CoolingMist controller and do it all again, I may even be able to go to a larger nozzle in the pre IC?

It would be very nice to have a larger tank but finding a nice home for it is the problem. Under the vehicle is out of the question.
What's the average cooling effect you believe to be getting with 1/100km ? Just curious as I have a wagon aswell and water storage isn't realy big on the list for uses of space

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
What's the average cooling effect you believe to be getting with 1/100km ? Just curious as I have a wagon aswell and water storage isn't realy big on the list for uses of space
As mentioned earlier there is no difference at cruising, 290-300c, because WM isn't firing up but on 2 long hills I've been testing on for years I normally hit 400c on them it only hits 350c.

·
Registered
2005 TD42Ti ute
357 Posts
Also if you do a setup that supports meth you can have some more noom power if you can be bothered to mix up some water and meth 50/50 by weight or volume, doesn't matter so much with us being diesel. (I just do by volume)

Water only seems to help a little a few ways but it seems to need to be at a "sweet spot"

I am not doing a lot of experimental measuring with mine just playing with mapping till it seems right with all of my indicators. (Fuel economy, boost response, egt control ect ect)

Interesting to see everyone else's gains with doing this and doing that.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Yes for sure, it's a no brainer that a 50/50 mix adds grunt, that is the safe level re flammability where you may not actually see the flames, indeed you can run a higher mix if you wish and get even more grunt, the only issue is injection point V evaporation point and cost, meth can be bloody expensive at the moment.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
$430 for 205L here atm.
The issue with 205L is transport and storage, I can get it off a guy for under 300$ but the aforementioned is the issue, so I buy it in 20L.

·
Registered
nissan
792 Posts
Thats a really good price.
I made a trolley that I lie the drum on, then I fork it onto the mez at work.
It lasts me quite a while cause I dont drive it much anymore, its just my hunting/camping rig.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Thats a really good price.
I made a trolley that I lie the drum on, then I fork it onto the mez at work.
It lasts me quite a while cause I dont drive it much anymore, its just my hunting/camping rig.
If I had a place to store it easily and safely I'd be into a 205 like a rat up a drain pipe.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
6,265 Posts
I have changed my two injector system in line with current trends, and put my second injector into the inlet of the intercooler on a bit of an angle. A few years ago, I removed my pre-turbo injector and placed it in the manifold with the first injector. Not ideal, but better than damaging my new turbo. So finally I have it in a more useful spot. My two injector system was already set-up to work as it needs to now, so no major changes are needed. I will just test the boost switch set point for the second injector (the two injectors have different operating points) next time I drive it. Now with the auto gearbox, it drives different to the manual, so the secondary boost switching point may need to be a but lower. See how it goes next time I drive it.

So during the re-jig, I had a sharp corner to turn my water line around. I like to have the push in fittings lined up well with the water line so there is no sideways pressure on the fittings. No chance in this case, and I was not keen on having three joiners in about 200mm of line either. I cannot say where, but in the past I have read that plastic air line can be bent by heating. So I got the line and coiled it up nice and tight and put a couple of cable ties around it. I then boiled the kettle and poured it over the line. When it cooled down it had retained the shape, and it fitted nicely where I needed it to go.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 · (Edited)
Just finished a 2091 trip around the traps, Hebel, Lightening Ridge, etc, etc, and I've got to say this angled pre IC and angled direct injection into manifold is one of the best mods I've done. I'll write up more info in my build thread as I'm still working through the info. This pre IC setup absolutely kills pre turbo, no doubt about that, the manifold injection is the icing on the cake, I cannot believe how the old girl performed on this trip which covered all sorts of terrain, flat as and including many roads across the ranges. Forget pre turbo.

Edit: My removable extra 10L tank (which gave me 20L overall) allowed me to do the 2091 trip and still have a few L left, I think I can up the injection rate, will lower manifold injection threshold.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
376 Posts
Drilled and taped manifold today , at least one done so far. Getting correct angle was challenging and time consuming.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Drilled and taped manifold today , at least one done so far. Getting correct angle was challenging and time consuming.
Slow and steady mate, looking good. BTW, I don't use the filter takes up to much room, I use a tiny inline bronze filter, think I bought it from Enzed, will take a pic tomorrow and post it, JIC.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
376 Posts
Slow and steady mate, looking good. BTW, I don't use the filter takes up to much room, I use a tiny inline bronze filter, think I bought it from Enzed, will take a pic tomorrow and post it, JIC.
Thanks Ross, it’s a snow performance #1 nozzle and the filter doesn’t come off but I’m going to use there nozzle holders for both nozzles,( 2nd nozzle is a ultra sonic new snow performance # 1.5 as all available at the time.)otherwise my DO nozzles are all #3 and above. I post a picture tomorrow once other side is done. Will be drilling EGR side slightly lower . Don’t have an IC FAN so shouldn’t be any issues.

Reactions: geeyoutoo

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
I'm still thinking about where to locate my nozzles. My manifold is a much bigger more open plenum. I don't want to have it feeding a lot more into one port than the others, so think that on the inlet pipe might be better than into the plenum. I have seen other set ups into a plenum type manifold but with one injector per port. I only have two.

They are new style AEM and can be changed for different flow rate by changing a little plastic flow restrictor inside the nozzle. But they do stick out further than I would like.
Not bent 90 degrees like I think yours are @geeyoutoo.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I'm still thinking about where to locate my nozzles. My manifold is a much bigger more open plenum. I don't want to have it feeding a lot more into one port than the others, so think that on the inlet pipe might be better than into the plenum. I have seen other set ups into a plenum type manifold but with one injector per port. I only have two.

They are new style AEM and can be changed for different flow rate by changing a little plastic flow restrictor inside the nozzle. But they do stick out further than I would like.
Not bent 90 degrees like I think yours are @geeyoutoo.
The nozzles in my inlet manifold had filters that also held the fluted seat in place, I cut the top part of the filter off so that only the thread that held the seat in place was there, I cut a screw driver slot into it to secure it in place, this allowed me to get a low profile. The thing to remember is spray the walls, also I used a larger nozzle to feed the back valves.

121 - 140 of 142 Posts