Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1058 Posts

·
Banned
5,323 Posts
Chit that cab burnthrough some water.

my 12l tank can easily last main and sub.
Ive tried all sorts of inj start points etc and with the efr it doesn’t need a whole lot of water.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,189 Posts
Haven't touched it since I blew the pressure switch. My new one rocked up yesterday but instead of the 1/4" bsp tapered like the previous it's a 1/4" straight thread process fitting so I need to go out and grab some copper washers for it to seal. There's always something slowing down my progress lol.

I do plan on testing flow rates at various pressure though when I have time. In the little testing I did do, maybe 1hr total driving time I've already had to refill my 50L tank once so I'm pretty sure I won't be stay at 1200psi for much longer either lol. Although I was testing and was on boost pretty much constantly so doesn't really replicate normal driving.
Wow! I think Petes tank is something like 120L, mine is a measly 10L, lol.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Got around to installing the new pressure switch over the weekend and also mounted the solenoid directly onto the nozzle which is performing much nicer than the previous/lazy setup I had. My initial setup only had about 300mm of tubing between the solenoid and nozzle but it still dripped more than I liked so I spent a bit of time getting it as close as possible and it made a big difference. System seems to be working well now so i'll go ahead and fix up all the temporary wiring and excess tubing to make it more of a permanent system.

Did some testing of my nozzles seeing what flow/pressures I get with different combinations and I've decided that 550psi is as low as I'll go. Anything less than 550psi just didn't look as nice in terms of water atomisation and you could start feeling the water droplets hitting your hand. Whereas pressures above this just felt like really cold compressed air hitting your hand and the cloud/mist looked much nicer more spread out with much less throw distance before evaporating. I think I'm ready to start adding the meth now so that should be fun, still haven't decided whether to get a second tank for the meth and still use the big 50L tank for drinking water too...

IMG_20190913_071117.jpg

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,189 Posts
Yes having solenoid as close to the jet as possible does help in a few ways. Especially for pre turbo.

·
Banned
5,323 Posts
Got around to installing the new pressure switch over the weekend and also mounted the solenoid directly onto the nozzle which is performing much nicer than the previous/lazy setup I had. My initial setup only had about 300mm of tubing between the solenoid and nozzle but it still dripped more than I liked so I spent a bit of time getting it as close as possible and it made a big difference. System seems to be working well now so i'll go ahead and fix up all the temporary wiring and excess tubing to make it more of a permanent system.

Did some testing of my nozzles seeing what flow/pressures I get with different combinations and I've decided that 550psi is as low as I'll go. Anything less than 550psi just didn't look as nice in terms of water atomisation and you could start feeling the water droplets hitting your hand. Whereas pressures above this just felt like really cold compressed air hitting your hand and the cloud/mist looked much nicer more spread out with much less throw distance before evaporating. I think I'm ready to start adding the meth now so that should be fun, still haven't decided whether to get a second tank for the meth and still use the big 50L tank for drinking water too...

View attachment 514128
i just removed about 1m of tube between the solenoid and injector..., now have about 70mm. just zip tied the solenoid to the power st

View attachment 514128
My hose was originally ran along the fire wall. With the solenoid near the wiper motor, so essentially had near 1m of hose.
It’s now ran radiator side with the solenoid(zip tied to the power steer hose..lol) about 70mm from injector in the last bend before the intake manifold.
Haven’t tried it yet.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My hose was originally ran along the fire wall. With the solenoid near the wiper motor, so essentially had near 1m of hose.
After seeing how mine carried on spluttering and dripping for a few seconds after the solenoid closed I couldn't imagine how bad 1m of hose would be on my setup especially since this is for my pre turbo injection. My nozzles currently don't have any check valves either so purely relying on the solenoid to stop dripping.

Whereas my inlet manifold injection I'm not running any solenoids or check valves as I kinda like the fact it still injects for a couple seconds after the pump stops before the lines fully drain. EGT stays up at the peak temp for a few seconds after backing off so it kinda seems fitting to still be injecting the water at this time. I might re look at this when I start adding meth into the equation and put some check valve in then. But with just the straight water it's working great and EGT levels are staying very stable.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
272 Posts
I'm running a Pumptec 113C positive displacement high pressure pump. It's only rated at a max continuous 1200psi but In my testing I've been well over 2000psi and she's still going strong lol.
View attachment 513703
That pump is crazy! Wish I'd known about it before ending up with my puny 200 psi unit!

Sent from my Patrol using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
That pump is crazy! Wish I'd known about it before ending up with my puny 200 psi unit!

Sent from my Patrol using Tapatalk
Lol yeah it's a pretty solid unit, I'm seriously impressed how well it's performing even after the torture I've put it through well above the rated max psi. It's super quiet too, if it wasn't for my extra tubing length coiled up in the engine bay vibrating against the firewall I wouldn't even know it was running. I also have connected to the same tank a shurflo water pump for drinking water/washing etc and that thing is annoyingly loud and vibrates like crazy

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just went for a drive in the lovely 40 degree day we're having and felt the biggest difference between water injection on vs off I've ever felt. I could always feel when the pre-turbo nozzle kicked in but today when it kicked in it seemed to have Soo much more of an impact. Fu(k I love this system and how much it's changed my performance from something as simple as plain tap water :cool:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Just went for a drive in the lovely 40 degree day we're having and felt the biggest difference between water injection on vs off I've ever felt. I could always feel when the pre-turbo nozzle kicked in but today when it kicked in it seemed to have Soo much more of an impact. Fu(k I love this system and how much it's changed my performance from something as simple as plain tap water :cool:
Any chance you took it for a run down the strip at diesel assault last night?

·
Registered
682 Posts
The fastest td42 i saw was high 15s.
Pretty funny watching patrols with 4" lifts and 35s trying to take off.
First outing for gsl's luv ute (4jj1 in a chev) on a small single turbo ran mid 9s.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,851 Posts
The fastest td42 i saw was high 15s.
Pretty funny watching patrols with 4" lifts and 35s trying to take off.
First outing for gsl's luv ute (4jj1 in a chev) on a small single turbo ran mid 9s.
I drove that heap of crap ute its simple madness. The turbo is unusually tiny and the turbine housing is even more so tiny. but its closed scroll so thats probably the key here.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Didnt they blow up their compound setup during the week while tuning?
They reckon they will be in the 7s once the turbos are sorted.
I saw a video of it on fire when they were installing one of the turbos, not sure if it's related to why they could only run the single turbo setup?

Screenshot_20191208-213604.png

@OldMav how tiny is this single turbo setup you were mentioning? Saw a pic of the initial compound setup they were trying and they look quite large. What I find the most interesting is the choice of a full blade compressor on one and a split blade on the other. Very little info going around on how and why you would choose one design over the other but it seems these days most companies are going with the split blade design.

67338122_2395597174048082_6824584333332840448_n.jpg

·
Registered
nissan
10,915 Posts
alright ill bite haha.
ive read bits and pieces of this thread but dont really have the time to read the whole thing from scratch.
looking to put w/m on my beast. want to run past what im thinking of doing and if someone can confirm or flame out my ideas that would be great.
no idea which brand to go. was thinking devils own controller as its very simple but it seems id need to fit come kind of maf to make this work. i do want a progressive controller for post turbo injection. the snow and coolingmist controllers seem a little more complicated and expensive.
not sure which is the best pump to run so open to ideas. must last a long time as vehicle is mainly a touring vehicle.
preturbo nozzle just looking to go with a hobbs switch activated setup to come on at about 17-18psi which is just above normal cruise boost. unless i go a very small nozzle and have it injecting constantly above say 5psi but id imagine this will be heavy on usage.
want to have a 20-30l tank so i can do a few thousand km trip without running out. though id assume clean water would be better than nothing but not as good as the water meth. could probably mount this either in cab or under the car somewhere. this is easy enough to figure out. ill build a tank for that.
obviously injection nozzles is something that id probably just grab a few but some guidelines on which ones to look at would be good.

i think ive got a grasp of the installation. hardest part seems to be making the nozzle holder for the preturbo nozzle. making sure all solenoids are as close to nozzles as possible. pump close to tank to avoid head pressure issues. whole system will have an isolator switch inside to turn on and off when not needed. i cant imagine it being of much benefit poking around a property or 4wd track.
with the post turbo nozzle can this be injected into an intercooler pipe just before the inlet manifold or does it have to go into the manifold itself. my though it at least in the piping its got a better chance of mixing with all the air at least.

anything else i should know about before i embark on this.

i was tossing up whether to do this or look at building an interchiller system but i think this is cheaper and should give a good performance boost without the complexity of the interchiller setup.

going onto a roughly 200hp td with ufi 18g billet turbo, 12mm pump. not a daily drive

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,611 Posts
I'm not a fan of injecting water into a diesel. Water/Meth has been proven to increase EGT's. I suppose it boils down as to why you want to add water/meth?
I'm old School and I always look towards what's been done elsewhere.
For example, I'm yet to see a factory water/meth setup in a truck.
If you think anywhere it would be beneficial it would be in a 600hp signature Cummins hauling 62.5t or more up big inclines.

You do see it used in performance diesels but I see our patrols more closely related to a truck hauling gear as to a 1/4 mile dragster or hill climber.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm not a fan of injecting water into a diesel. Water/Meth has been proven to increase EGT's. I suppose it boils down as to why you want to add water/meth?
What rubbish, have you actually tested this yourself? When my injection turns on my EGT drops 150 degrees nearly instantly!

1021 - 1040 of 1058 Posts