Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Am starting to see a wet spot under car sump and looks like the water pump. How easy is it to replace, and what pump is recommended OEM, or after market.
A step by step pull down if necessary would be nice, replaced the alternator myself so reckon it was just a few more bolts.

thanks in anticipation.

caged:):)

·
Registered
nissan
2,994 Posts
I'm guessing it's a ZD30?

It's not too hard to replace, though it's a bit fiddly to get to (or maybe that's just my ham-hands). I did find I had to go out and get a 1/4" drive socket set because I just couldn't get anything bigger in there.

Edit: I was also advised to use a hex socket, not a multipoint socket.

I paid the bit extra and went OEM. I figured if it's lasted 11 years OEM will last another 11 (Though turns out there was nothing wrong with mine).

My memory is a bit hazy, but I think it went something like this:

1. Dump coolant
  2. Remove lower fan shroud
  3. Remove upper fan shroud
  4. Remove fan (Unbolt 4x bolts connecting fan to fan clutch)
  5. Remove belt
  6. Unbolt water pump... Can't remember how many bolts but there are a few and some are quite fiddly. I seem to recall removing the belt tensioner to make access to the bottom bolts easier.
  7. There is a metal pipe that get's in the way (Vacuum line?). May need to unbolt a bracket so you can push it out of the way
  8. Remove water pump (prepare to get a face full of coolant if doing it from below, but I was doing it from above)
  9. Don't forget the seal
  10. Installation is reverse of removal
  11. Fill with coolant (REALLY make sure you bleed the system of air, some guys have had issues with air in the coolant. See the coolant sections in the archive for more info)
  12. Drink beer

I'm sure I have missed something... Best bet would be to grab a workshop manual if you don't already which should have the steps in it.

I swapped mine because I thought the fan clutch was buggered... Turns out it was fine and the radiator was blocked due to different coolants being mixed.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
I'm guessing it's a ZD30?

It's not too hard to replace, though it's a bit fiddly to get to (or maybe that's just my ham-hands). I did find I had to go out and get a 1/4" drive socket set because I just couldn't get anything bigger in there.

I paid the bit extra and went OEM. I figured if it's lasted 11 years OEM will last another 11 (Though turns out there was nothing wrong with mine).

My memory is a bit hazy, but I think it went something like this:

1. Drink beer
  2. Dump coolant
  3. Remove lower fan shroud
  4. Remove upper fan shroud
  5. Remove fan (Unbolt 4x bolts connecting fan to fan clutch)
  6. Remove belt
  7. Unbolt water pump... Can't remember how many bolts but there are a few and some are quite fiddly. I seem to recall removing the belt tensioner to make access to the bottom bolts easier.
  8. There is a metal pipe that get's in the way (Vacuum line?). May need to unbolt a bracket so you can push it out of the way
  9. Remove water pump (prepare to get a face full of coolant if doing it from below, but I was doing it from above)
  10. Don't forget the seal
  11. Installation is reverse of assembly
  12. Fill with coolant (REALLY make sure you bleed the system of air, some guys have had issues with air in the coolant. See the coolant sections in the archive for more info)
  13. Drink beer

I'm sure I have missed something... Best bet would be to grab a workshop manual if you don't already which should have the steps in it.

I swapped mine because I thought the fan clutch was buggered... Turns out it was fine and the radiator was blocked due to different coolants being mixed.
Better

·
Registered
nissan patrol
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
water pump

Hi guys,

thanks for the response, sounds easy, yes will get a manual and have a go.

thanks

caged

1 - 5 of 5 Posts