Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

water pump price

4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  BlueDiesel 
#1 ·
GQ TB42 Dual Fuel

I've been quoted $350 for a Nissan genuine water pump - I've had some horror stories on after market water pumps not sealing properly and told not to go near them.

I guess the first q is whether the Gen part price is good, and 2 whether the horror stories are unfounded...

symptoms are that I'm losing coolant, but can't trace the damn problem. I thought it had been resolved the other week when I'd id'd a badly fitting hose to the convertor

I can't see any coolant coming from anywhere on the block
rad was pressure tested
welch plugs are fine
coolant bottle not overfilled

its driving me bonkers

#2 ·
$350 for a water pump is robbery without dancing girls included. Pump is worth about $20-50 (that's what parts suppliers buy them for) and you can overhaul the TB42 pumps. If it ain't leaking at the witness hole or around the seal then why replace?

You might check for weeping just below the thermostat on cold start. I will drip down on to the pump making it look like the pump. If so you need a new o-ring and gasket.

#6 ·
It depends if the pump comes with the viscous hub or not. If your pump is stiffed the hub wont be far behind.

where your coolant is leaking will probably be a white stain.
just for a laugh make sure your recovery pipe has NO leaks. the one that goes into the bottle.
the slightest pinhole it will suck air back in instead of coolant as it cools.

#7 ·
saw a nissan GQ water pump on e-bay the other day for $69 + delivery..........
was an auto parts store selling it with 1000's of positive feedback.

I bought a non-genuine 6yrs ago for my TD42 from SMS deisel and have not had an issue with it.......

$395 is just highway robbery with a smile.......

#11 ·
re my initial problem with water loss... this was some advice I received from the internal 4WD forum at work - wondering if anyone has come across this before?

My GQ Patrol had a problem with coolant loss and increased temperature that defied all logic, much the same as yours. My experience may or may not be relevant.

My problem only ever occurred when the engine was operated above 2,000 RPM for extended periods of time. Because of the gearing the engine normally only operates above 2,000 RPM when going up hills or when towing (in a lower gear). It would happily sit on 100 KPH all day, even in high ambient temps with no problem. However climbing up Mt Baw Baw at 0 degrees ambient temp saw the engine temperature rise above normal. A check of the coolant reservoir found the level to be full when the engine was warm but it would decrease when the engine cooled and the coolant was drawn back into the engine. My problem was caused by an aftermarket water pump (from Repco) that sucked air through the drive shaft seal. When heated the ingested air eventually caused an over pressure situation in the cooling system that pushed coolant into the reservoir where it would eventually be discharged through the overflow pipe leaving no evidence in the engine bay. Fitting a genuine Nissan water pump solved the problem. Good luck I hope this helps.

#13 ·
in your original post, you mention "converter". I am making an assumption, but thinking you are on gas/lpg? If so, we had a Valiant way back in the 80's that developed a leak in the converter through poor coolant in those days, coolants were not like they are today, and alloys suffered badly. You will see absolutely no sign of leakage, because it will be small and be attomized by the lpg and burnt with the fuel bit like having a crack in a head. But unlike a head, where you have bubbles in the water/radiator, there is no sign from the converter. just a thought anyway.

#16 ·
I have an MK that was using coolant and was showing no usual head gasket signs except for slight bubbling in radiator. When I took the head off the gasket had a slight mark from cylinder to water gallery and a big area inside the rear of the head had been eaten out but none of this was apparent until it was removed. Is there any sign of coolant in cab on passenger side where heater box is? Sometimes the carpet will be wet (if you have carpet) and check where the heater pipes go through the fire wall.

#17 ·
Is there any sign of coolant in cab on passenger side where heater box is? Sometimes the carpet will be wet (if you have carpet) and check where the heater pipes go through the fire wall.
dry as a bone and no leaks near heater or in passenger footwell...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.