Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2.8 gr
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi is it possible to change the water pump on a1999 2.8 without removing the cam belt and crank pulley.

Thanks Dave E

·
Registered
757 Posts
to be safe i think you should remove the harmonic balancer. If you were really good you might be able to leave it on and hold the belt in position while you changed the waterpump over but i think the risk of jumping a tooth make it not worth the risk.
Removing the cam belt and harmonic balancer doesnt ad a lot of time to the overall job and at least you can be sure when you put it all together it will be right

·
Registered
nissan
11 Posts
Hi Dave E, if you can remove the water pump without removing the lower cover, then in my opinion you don’t need to remove the harmonic balancer. What you don’t want is to move the position (turn) the crank when the belt is off. If it were me, I would a line the marks on the injector pump & the cam, & I would make a mark on the balancer & the lower cover. The belt can just sit to the side, it’s the timing marks that you don’t want to move. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2.8 gr
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all thanks for you help on this looks like I have two options hear so I will have a closer look .I should have replaced the pump when I fitted the cam kit last year cash was a bit tight at the time only my self to blame .

Dave.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts