Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Ways to increase GQ 4.2D N/A power, ECU Mod?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Batt's 
#1 ·
I am interested to know if there is a way to increase the power of a naturally aspirated GQ 4.2 diesel engine through the ECU. Can it be reprogrammed or upgraded? My GQ has a 2 1/2 aluminized exhaust with extractors and the engine breathes well via a snorkel.
Apart from a decent turbo install costing at least $5K what else is there?

#5 ·
I have had excellent results playing with advancing the injection timing and increasing the fuel just until black out the back. The long and most prudent way is to measure your injection timing so you know where it was as compared to factory and go from there. This can be a pain. The other way is to advance until increased diesel knock then back off. Warning, you can burn pistons up doing this. Best just take it to a tuner with a dyno.

#7 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure you can get a turbo for way under 5 grand even if it's from someone selling they're old factory turbo off a 4.2 but it helps if you or friends can fit it and there's nothing wrong with using your current exhaust to keep the cost down you don't have to go larger it will run fine.
If your running larger tyres that will make a difference to your current set up. Replacing the air filter with a K&N or simiar will make a small improvement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.