Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a big road trip a few weeks ago.
Before i left i had a mechanic fit new uni joints in my tailshaft. And a new rear passenger wheel bearing.

After spending 5 nights on fraser i got off the island and noticed at around 60-70km/h i had what felt like something stuck on my rear tyre.
It's enough of a pulse to make the coins in my ashtray noisy.

Thinking it was one of my tyres i got them rebalanced and they were balancing ok.
The drivers rear king steel rim is slightly out of round.

So i tried my spare on both sides and the pulse/thud thud thud is still there.

On the island i drove through fresh water creeks but didn't fourby hard at all.

I remember a noise/moan i was getting at around 80km/h on the sand in 4H..

Could the tailshaft be causing this?
It does feel quite surgy at low revs in 4th but still thud-thud-thuds in or out of gear at 60 ish km/h.

Driving me nuts.
Opinions?
Thanks

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
have a look at other wheel bearing and check rear pinion/yoke

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might put it on stands tomorrow and pop it in 4th gear and see if i can see any vibration.
I don't think it would be the wheel bearing.

Could the handbrake cause this pulsing?

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Doesn't sound like a handbrake issue.

Lots of things to check. I'd start with the rear lower and upper control arms, put a straight-edge on them and make sure they're dead straight. You may not have gone 10/10ths on the island, but if you've stressed something in the past then sand driving could push it to breaking. Sand is harder on vehicles than people think.

Then check the drag link (same thing, check for straightness). Suspension issues can be weird, a problem at the front can manifest as a sound/vibration from the rear, and vice-versa.

The good thing about this stuff is you get to know what's sound on the vehicle, the bad thing is that you can check 80-90% of the possible culprits and still not find the source.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
I chased a noise in my gq for mths,did everything but couldn't find it and though meh who cares it will eventually come to light and sure enough a couple mths later pulling axles to fit rear locker was a collapsed bearing.

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,195 Posts
Sounds just like mine when the auto hubs sh! T itself, take the whole hub off & drive it, if the problem isn't there anymore go spend $100 on another set.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jacked the back up and spun it up to where the vibration has been happening. Didn't do it..
The car did wobble back and forth slightly at a certain rpm.

Could only see the back drivers wheel as i was solo and didn't want to hop out of the drivers seat in gear - the tyre has a slight 3mm out of shape by looking at the rotation. Wheel bearings are fine.

Checked lower arm bushes, all good.

Car drives really well all bushes in good condition. It's just this bloody pulsing that's driving me mad.

I've got a feeling it's the new uni's not liking the 5" lift, although i have 16mm longer bottom arms and 12mm gearbox spacers to correct angles up a bit.

·
Registered
nissan
26 Posts
Jacked the back up and spun it up to where the vibration has been happening. Didn't do it..
The car did wobble back and forth slightly at a certain rpm.

Could only see the back drivers wheel as i was solo and didn't want to hop out of the drivers seat in gear - the tyre has a slight 3mm out of shape by looking at the rotation. Wheel bearings are fine.

Checked lower arm bushes, all good.

Car drives really well all bushes in good condition. It's just this bloody pulsing that's driving me mad.

I've got a feeling it's the new uni's not liking the 5" lift, although i have 16mm longer bottom arms and 12mm gearbox spacers to correct angles up a bit.
Hi,
You can certainly get vibes if the rear diff is out of alignment. If you have 16mm longer lower arms with a 5" lift, that is going the wrong way, putting it further out of alignment with the tail shaft, (increasing the angle). You will need longer upper arms as well. Best if they are adjustable, (snake racing have them). You need to reduce the angle from the diff to the tail shaft to eliminate the vibration, (that is if it is coming from there).
I have a 5" lift and have all adjustable arms, when the kit was first fitted I had a vibration too. It wasn't until I further reduced the diff / tail shaft angle by adjustment of the arms that it disappeared. It is a case of trial and error as well as compromise. You need to consider the position of your wheels in your wheel arches, and the deflection or bend in the springs, because the more you reduce the angle the more deflection you will put into the springs.
Having said all that your vibration / noise may be something else? But I know if my Patrol had 16mm longer than std lower arms and std uppers, I'd have a problem!
Hope that helps, let me know how you get on.
Ken.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,
You can certainly get vibes if the rear diff is out of alignment. If you have 16mm longer lower arms with a 5" lift, that is going the wrong way, putting it further out of alignment with the tail shaft, (increasing the angle). You will need longer upper arms as well. Best if they are adjustable, (snake racing have them). You need to reduce the angle from the diff to the tail shaft to eliminate the vibration, (that is if it is coming from there).
I have a 5" lift and have all adjustable arms, when the kit was first fitted I had a vibration too. It wasn't until I further reduced the diff / tail shaft angle by adjustment of the arms that it disappeared. It is a case of trial and error as well as compromise. You need to consider the position of your wheels in your wheel arches, and the deflection or bend in the springs, because the more you reduce the angle the more deflection you will put into the springs.
Having said all that your vibration / noise may be something else? But I know if my Patrol had 16mm longer than std lower arms and std uppers, I'd have a problem!
Hope that helps, let me know how you get on.
Ken.
Think your getting confused a bit, the higher you go up the longer the lower arms need to be to bring the angle of the pinion back in order.
I have run this setup for 5 years and never had a problem.

·
Registered
nissan
26 Posts
Think your getting confused a bit, the higher you go up the longer the lower arms need to be to bring the angle of the pinion back in order.
I have run this setup for 5 years and never had a problem.
True.:confused:

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
Doesn't sound like a handbrake issue.

... sand driving could push it to breaking. Sand is harder on vehicles than people think.

QUOTE]

The sand last week was like driving on tarseal, I was hardly in 4wd. heaps more sand on the eastern beach then there was 18 months ago. Inland roads although cut up a little weren't soft at all.

As for the problem, I can't help there fella.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts