Votes: 4 7.3%
  • engaged wtf, never!!!!

Votes: 6 10.9%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am really interested in knowing some views on this from a wide variety of different people, even if you haven't asked the question, still interested in your opinion

OK
I am a little old fashion at (33 years old), my view is that the man should buy the ring and it be a surprise for the woman

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
always been the tradition in my opinion, as what's the point if it's not a suprise :confused:, kinda kills the atmosphere if they already know and know what the ring is

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
my gf wanted the engagement ring off the crow, we struggled to even find a pic n she found a replica so i bought it, hung onto it for over a year n then popped the question

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Save ya time and money and don't bother Lindon, spend it on toys for the Patrol.
rodger on that one john already figured that one out, anyway we split, but still wanted to see what others thoughts on it :)

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
engagement ring only needs to be there to give her something to gasbag about for a few months/years while the wedding ring is chosen.

some use Herpes as a surprise engagement gift.

·
Registered
Nissan
2,879 Posts
engagement ring only needs to be there to give her something to gasbag about for a few months/years while the wedding ring is chosen.

some use Herpes as a surprise engagement gift.
Mrs. is a nurse and she had to treat a woman with a herpes ring once, apparently it didn't look all that pleasant.
It was about this time that i suggested that she should maybe look towards a new career.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
338 Posts
I thought engagement ring was the first step to,Im sorry your life is over and i can get fat now:crazy:

·
Registered
378 Posts
another option is you buy the stone (diamond or whatever) and ask her with this in hand and you design the ring together

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
The man should she will only pick the dearest one she can find
Hahaha!!! Your missus obviously has no sympathy for your wallet!!!

Mine picked a simple ring with 2 hearts linked and a tiny diamond... Cost only $300 ish... that was 10 years ago now (psst, we'er not married yet ;)).

If you're old fasioned - and she is too i suppose? do it the traditional way, but if like me- most traditions are useless and have no need in todays society, ask her to marry you and let her choose the ring.

Either way it's going to cost you a LOT of money! ;)

Good luck! and congrats!

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
another option is you buy the stone (diamond or whatever) and ask her with this in hand and you design the ring together

ooooohhh!!!

I like that idea! Go with this guys suggestion!

·
Registered
nissan
1,181 Posts
Ive always thought the ring should be a suprise as it is in tradition, that way if you do stick to tradition, her dad may think he should also stick to tradition ,and pay for the wedding !:D (he-he)

Of course that also means you have to ask permission for his daughters hand in the first place !

Unfortunatly so many marriages seem to end in divorce, so obviously marriage does not mean what it used to, well "Traditionally" anyway.:(

Really,only you know your potential wife well enough to make the call, its about what she will think not what others will, i guess ,you could just make up a story about someone at work "choosing" rings with a partner, and judge by the reaction you get ?

Best of luck if you do decide to pop the question !:coffee:

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
I plan on keeping it as a surprise, i know my partner very well and know the sort of thing she would like. Plus, you chose the wedding rings together so she will have her say in that one.

·
your mother, she's a top bloke!!!!
nissan patrol
480 Posts
pick the ring yourself, from then on you wont get any say in the wedding. i got engaged not long ago, i am so sick of hearing about the wedding. its all very expensive aswell witch takes any joy out of it

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well I did forget to mention we are already engaged, but to cut a long story short the ring I gave at the time wasn't a very good quality one as it wasn't ment to be an engagment ring, that one has two pink linked amethiset hearts and some and two small diamond chips either side

But i did promise to by A good quality one they will last.........BUt shamfully the GQ ute until recently has stole the funds for the ring ;)

BTW disregard the comment about splitting that was just another unexplained woman thing that I'll never understand, we are back on track, but yeah she said in an argument when I brought a 18K gold with a single 1ct solitare diamond ring with matching eternity ring, that she should pick her own, so you could imagine the look on my face when i though wtf ,what this ring cost could have brough a trailer load of goodies for my GQ instead :confused:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
this poll is getting rather interesting now looking at some of the replies and the poll it's self

·
Registered
Nissan
2,879 Posts
Better off going on a really good holiday on an island somewhere and eloping, it will be much more you focussed and the mother in-law gets no say in how much money get's spent on the soon to be otherwise obnoxious wedding.

·
Registered
nissan
1,181 Posts
Mate of Mine got engaged last year.
Bought her a simple 1 Diamond ring in a classical setting.
Unfortunately the Rock in it cost him $30K.
Apparently she wasn't going to say yes without being presented with something at least 1 Carat.

She did offer to sell her car and give him the money to put towards it though. He worked his ass off and paid for it himself. Now He's working about 18 hours a day at a total of 4 jobs to fund the wedding and the new home.

I hope to catch up with him again sometime when he's not at work. Might be difficult since he worked right through Christmas and hasn't had a day off since.

:shock:.....Each to their own, and no offence to your mate, but thats not my idea of a very good base for a long term happy relationship, more like a recipe for disaster :-(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts