Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My GQ is a high roof, no sunroof. Roof seems in excellent condition but I get this small leak where water finds it's way where the electrical wire for the map lights (near rearview mirror) comes out of the body.

It happens when the truck is parked, not only when driving. I doubt it was the issue but I still re-sealed the top portion of the windscreen and over the top corners. Under heavy rain overnight I'll find maybe 3-4 tablespoon of water pooled by my shifters. When driving it can come out all at once when turning to the right, wife got a surprised last night!

Any ideas where the water could be coming from? Next step will be to remove my headliner but I doubt I'll be able to put it back (good excuse to insulate the roof!)

Thanks,
Mr. D

·
Registered
nissan
11,162 Posts
have you got anything running thru the roof like a gromet or anything like that.
also its not leaking in at the back somewhere and running to the front???
apart from that there is no rust around the roof gutters or underneath windscreen seal?

·
Registered
nissan patrol 95rx
73 Posts
benos
because it is a high roof it may have some goodies we missed out on here, does it have any air conditioner plumbing above the headliner that may be leaking ?
its the only explanation, the doors and windows are well below the roof line on that model so apart from a hole in the roof there is very little chance for water to find a way in let alone find map lights
were is the arial on your car if its up there it could be it

mick

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Id say water in threw the screen and just excess in there

Water only travels down stream

Bein a sorta cavity (this section of roof frame)it could be filling up then spillin over
Rip the mirror and light out , (could be a pool of water there)
Then reseal the screen

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,785 Posts
Id say water in threw the screen and just excess in there

Water only travels down stream
Not so. Capillary action will cause water to run uphill a long ways. in this case the water could be running lateral and then vertical or some combination. I wonder where the wire for the map light is run?

David, I will spend some time looking at my other rigs in an attempt to visualize your leak. Did you have this leak before you drilled that ugly hole for the roof top tank?

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
just in regards to the wiring in a roof liner. they are usually taped to the top of the liner itself so they dont move around.
are your windscreen rubbers sitting hard up against the body or have they pulled away slightly.
also another theory, your rear windscreen washer, is that mounted to the roof at the rear, because this line could also run through the roof liner and may be leaking. (don't think they do but never know.
if i think of any other options ill be back.
best of luck, water leaks are very fun to trace.

·
Registered
nissan/gq patrol
589 Posts
I would go X2 with condensation. I had some rust spots on the roof I repaired the other week. In the fixing work I found that there is drainage for condensation the runs down inside the windscreen pillars. Maybe these drainage holes are blocked. Not sure how you'd check though. I was lucky as I had holes in the roof that I could work through. Mine is not a high roof model.

·
Registered
nissan
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks fellows,

To answer a few of the questions...

Water was leaking prior to running fuel lines against windscreen pillar. Rear washer is on the door so again non issue. As per initial post, I've already resealed the top part of the windscreen. Again, nothing drilled through the roof (arial on fender...)

As for condensation would it only happens when it's raining? Not convinced...

I've only resealed the outer part of the windscreen and the top part up and slightly below the corners. If water was only coming in while driving that'd be a strong possible but since it's also happening overnight then it's probably something else.

And yes, it's pooling up there then when the pool is full it starts to leak or if driving and only when turning right it will spill out on passenger's side. Wonder if that means it's pooling on the right?

Anyone with picture on the roof without headliner?

Cheers,
Mr. D

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
i used to have the same problem, it was comming through the top of the windscreen, after i put some silicone between the window and the seal and there was no more leaks. mine only came about when i got the windshiled changed though

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,785 Posts
Hmmm, David you sealed the seal to the frame. Might want to try what nethergate did.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Just had a look at a few roofs here withour lining (even a front roof section without roof skin)
This part of the roof is higher than the sunvisor area (The roof tapers down both sides)
Theres is a wee indent in this section,but the visors are still lower
The roof frame section is about 5-6 inches wide
Now why it would pool there ???
Has there been any roof repairs in this section previous to your knowledge ???
It could,maybe,be some bog or similar creating a wall each side to create a dam effect
By why it gets there ???
I just sealed the screen in the MK
Cut the sealer nozzle and do the windscreen seal from the top then from the bottom all the way around
Dont have 1 drop in the ute even after all this rail we have had
If ya need any roof pics send me a PM

·
Registered
nissan
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi all,

Quick update. Here's a picture of where the water is coming from. Seems like the windscreen seal isn't doing it's job. It's coming from the area where I'm pulling the rubber.

Funny how before I removed all my roof and pillar liners the water would travel and exit at the rear view mirror. Now it just runs down against the A pillar.

It's rain season now so it started again last week. I'll try sealing as suggested. The top was done, just need to do the sides (I can see speed pushing the water up from the side and into a entry point at the top).

Cheers,
Mr. D

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts