Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Bought a 2004 GR recently. It's tachometer is acting weird.
When accelerating sharply or releasing the throttle the tachometer moves very quickly and with jerks.
Made a video to describe it better: https://youtu.be/OQv432HWz6I
Haven't noticed anything abnormal with the engine so I'm thinking it must be the tachometer.

Has anyone seen this before? What might be the cause?

One more thing. Had both indicator lights on dash come on today after accelerating. They stayed on for about 10 seconds without blinking. Is this some kind of fault indicator or an electrical anomaly?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Welcome rambutan, it could be many things, but when you mentioned dash lights as well the first thing that sprang to mind was earth strap, these are renowned for having earthing issues and one of the mods we do is add a second earth strap under the vehicle from the cross gearbox member to the body, see pic. No need to drill any holes as there are studs and bolts already there. The beauty of this is it's simple and cheap to try, if it doesn't work you have lost nothing but it does help in the long run for many other unexplained issues.

Earth Strap.jpg

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Will definitely try this in a couple of days. I have heard about it before but I guess I didn't pay too much attention to it and didn't tie the two things together. Let's see if it works for this problem also.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts