Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys noticed a water leak on the mav the other day looked to be coming from under the car were the engine and gearbox meet up only thing i could think of was welch plugs
Any other things it could be ?
And if it is a welch plug im better to replace them all at once yeah
And is this a big/costly job or would i be able to do it myself i
have a little mechanical experience

·
Registered
413 Posts
Its a dead set c**t of a job. There are 2 or 3 welsch plugs on the back of the motor, you have to pull motor, or pull gear box out to get to them. Mine were leaking at one stage, i put a bottle of stop leak in it, i got another 2 years out of it, then i had to change the clutch in my car, so i did the lot, then changed the welsh plugs too. Be warned if yours is a manual, the leaking coolant may if it hasn`t already, gotten into your thrust bearing and stuff that up too.

Its a big job, and you need the equipment to either pull the motor or pull the box, they are very heavy, a patrol is like a truck, and not your average back yarder is capable of doing a job like this. I would say you need to pay a visit to a mechanic work shop, and they will charge a fair bit due to the labour which is involved. Expect to pay 1K up.

·
Registered
nissan
109 Posts
$2400 to fit an exedy clutch...
$800 for clutch kit, $80 for machined flywheel, $60 for the rear engine seal, another $50 odd for a couple broke bolts and some clutch fluid...leaving near $1400 for labor and no vehicle for a week an a half. they are an absolute DOG to get at, let alone get out!

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
If you've taken the motor out in the past, then it's a straight-forwards job.
Plenty of how-tos on replacing them on the net, you just need to be a bit careful when putting the new ones in.
It also depends on where they all are. On the old 3.3 diesel in the MQ's there's one hidden behind the oil cooler.

If you're keen and confident, you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
48 Posts
agree with wogboy not the kind of job to do in ya backyard on jacks definently worth payin someone i just recently did my own cluch but i work as a mechanic in a well equiped workshop so one sat arvo was all it took god knows how long without the right equipment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts