Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gonna weld some new brakets on the roo bar of my 06 ute, is just disconnecting the battery sufficient to prevent problems, I dont wanna blow up the ECU or anything, any thoughts? Cheers.

2006 4.2 TDI Patrol ute

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,689 Posts
That should be alright.
Connect the earth as close to the weld job as possible.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,259 Posts
You'll be fine I welded my rear bar whilst on the car the other day. She still runs!

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
I am a boilermaker and often weld on new cars and boats and all you have to do is disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Greetings,
not only the ecu but the airbag would concern me too. I disconnect anything electrical I can see and access when I need to weld.
Is it possible to make or purchase clamp type brackets and avoid welding altogether?
truck

·
Registered
nissan
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers guys, will disconnect the earth on the battery, and no worries with airbags, doesnt have any ! I did use one of those bolt on brackets for one of the smaller UHF aeriels, but need to add an HF aeriel and havnt seen any bolt on jobs that seem heavy duty enuff, and at @ $40 a pop ,, cheaper to weld sum on, Mr Nissan only provided one bracket as standard... Will see what happens!

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Since electricity takes the path of shortest resistance, having the clamp as close to the job as possible will keep you fine.

If you're a bit worried, check your clamp to see if it has heaps of contact or not. Copper all the way through to the point of contact, and a large surface area. The more contact the better!

·
Registered
nissan
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers will make sure that earth clamp is nisse and close... I had elctricity described like water thru pipes, and that was the same example, the path of least resistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts