Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello chaps,

While I had the intercooler and throttle body off for a clean today, I noticed there are two little solenoid-looking things in front of the intercooler, and two vacuum diaphragm actuators on the throttle body associated with them. See pics.
What are they for and are there any mods worth doing which can improve performance and/or longevity?
TIA,

Trev.

Attachments

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,083 Posts
Line to the swirl valve can be blocked ( closest to the firewall) leave the shut down valve.
Worth pulling the whole body off and giving it a clean. Will give you an idication of how clogged the intake manifold will be.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Don't touch the shutdown valve but you can block the vacuum line into the one at the back which is the swirl valve, if you go to the link to my build thread in my signature and look at post #17 I mention blocking it in there.

·
Registered
nissan
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks guys. I cleaned out the body while I could get to it. One side had about 1 to 2mm build up of black gunk in it. It was easy enough to clean but I might have to pull the inlet manifold off to clean it properly, although it looks like a bit of a mongrel to get off.

On a side note, when checking/cleaning my catchcan, there was lucky to be 20ml or so in it after 5000km. The intercooler inlet tube was fairly clean so I'm guessing it's doing something. How much oil is collected on average by others.? My vehicle has done 175,000kms.

Thanks again,
Trev

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
i only recommend disabling swirl valve if egr is blocked off.

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,214 Posts
Does the swirl valve stay open or shut when you block the line?

EDIT: Do you need to replace the TB manifold gasket when you remove the TB to clean it or is it a reusable gasket?

·
Registered
nissan
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's vacuum to close, so I'd say it's gonna stay open after you block the vacuum supply. And as for the throttle body gasket, mine was a steel one. I used it again. I just made sure the faces were clean and then applied a very thin smear of gasket sealer to both sides.
Tweak'e... yes it's blocked off.
Cheers,

Reactions: Softy

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
It's vacuum to close, so I'd say it's gonna stay open after you block the vacuum supply. And as for the throttle body gasket, mine was a steel one. I used it again. I just made sure the faces were clean and then applied a very thin smear of gasket sealer to both sides.
Tweak'e... yes it's blocked off.
Cheers,
Correct the spring in the diaphragm holds the swirl valve normally open. All throttle body gaskets are steel, I've had mine off a dozen times and just keep reusing it with a smear of goo.

i only recommend disabling swirl valve if egr is blocked off.
Absolutely!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts