Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
22041 - 22060 of 22108 Posts

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,567 Posts
Being stuck behind a BT50 towing a camper for almost 1 1/2 hours on a narrow dirt road. No way of passing & the ar$ehole wouldn't pull over when he had chances.
Did you give Brad a ring, he has blue tooth in his BT50.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,567 Posts
Know that road well, never had a problem with mobile reception when I used to travel it regularly, in the early 1980’s.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
11,503 Posts
Being stuck behind a BT50 towing a camper for almost 1 1/2 hours on a narrow dirt road. No way of passing & the ar$ehole wouldn't pull over when he had chances.
Doubt it
If it was a BT, you wouldn’t be able to catch it in your noisy truck like over heating smog hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,171 Posts
If he had a 200 he wouldn't have needed to. The dirt would have bypassed that troublesome filter and continued on its way to super happy fun land.
Its a feature not a flaw.

Extends air filter change intervals.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
627 Posts
#$%&€£ any manufacturer that gives a 2 year warranty then goes to the end of the earth to get out of a claim after just 13 months.....
Well known Aussie battery manufacturer.....

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
11,503 Posts
#$%&€£ any manufacturer that gives a 2 year warranty then goes to the end of the earth to get out of a claim after just 13 months.....
Well known Aussie battery manufacturer.....
What was the excuse?
I recently had a chat with the ACCC and turns out there are no rules for warranties. Each product can have what ever warranty put on it and there is nothing we can do besides mediation and law suits which is why most people simply give up.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
627 Posts
They charged and load tested the battery and said it was fine.
I had it on a 7 stage smart charger Friday night, till Saturday morning. Charger said it was full.
Monday morning I had to jump start the car to get to work. Just a click click, did not even crank.
How can it possibly test as OK.?.
Then they said it's not designed for a dual battery system....
I pointed out it was sold their " super heavy duty 4x4 battery

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,128 Posts
Are you sure it's the battery, sounds like it could be the starter. Have you tried another battery?

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,893 Posts
Are you sure it's the battery, sounds like it could be the starter. Have you tried another battery?
X2 had same issue told battery stuffed and ended up being starter motor.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
11,503 Posts
Ok YB. Tell me the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help you god.
I work with batteries day in day out.
I hear it all and I see it all.
What brand and model battery is it?

Did the shop tell you what the cca was when tested and which shop?

Did they test the car?

Have an amp clamp? Check to see if something is draining.

While someone holds a multimeter on the battery, start the car and take a note of the lowest voltage it falls to while cranking.

I know the good , bad and the ugly ones.
If you still have the battery, check it’s volts after it’s been sitting
Peace Out

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22,055 ·
We knew it had happened but there has now come confirmation that the Taliban sympathiser that shot the 3 Australian soldiers within the 'safety' of their compound has been released from jail. Personally I think he should be hunted down and killed, I'd even contribute to a crowd fund :mad:

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
627 Posts
OK. The whole truth.
It was the auxiliary battery, not the starting battery. Using projecta 140 amp vsr.
Tested 12.87 volts
840cca. On the report.
I have dual battery guages in the pillar pod,
For weeks before it was only getting to about 13.8 or less in the 20 Min drive to work.
I have identical starting and second battery and rotate them every 6 months or so to share the load.
Haven't had a working winch for at least 6 months now.
Glow plugs and starter motor were recently replaced.
It's a century 810cca 185 res
N70 zzxmf
Every second weekend I'd put the solar panel on it for the day with an mppt solar controller for a bit of a maintenance charge.
Tested by century's mobile unit. I dropped it in so no test on the patrol.
I don't have an amp clamp...
I'll do the starting volt test when I get a chance. But from memory, about 11.8 or 11.7 when I looked at the guage when starting, but it's the auxiliary battery, but will do it properly and look. But it's disconnected ATM.
That is the truth the whole truth & nothing but the truth.

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
27,273 Posts
OK. The whole truth.
It was the auxiliary battery, not the starting battery. Using projecta 140 amp vsr.
Tested 12.87 volts
840cca. On the report.
For weeks before it was only getting to about 13.8 or less in the 20 Min drive to work.
I have identical starting and second battery and rotate them every 6 months or so to share the load.
N70 zzxmf
Every second weekend I'd put the solar panel on it for the day with an mppt solar controller for a bit of a maintenance charge.
I'll do the starting volt test when I get a chance. But from memory, about 11.8 or 11.7 when I looked at the guage when starting, but it's the auxiliary battery, but will do it properly and look. But it's disconnected ATM.
Likely story!

Foo

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yeti's Beast

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
11,503 Posts
OK. The whole truth.
Tested 12.87 volts
840cca. On the report.
N70 zzxmf
Thankyou for your presentation of the evidence.
First off, a winch requires power like the starter motor does so that it spins at the required speed and torque, so a winch is best connected to a start battery and not a deep cycle.
Having two identical batteries is perfect in theory because they will share identical internal resistance if they are of the same age.
The solar panel is good, I do the same too.

Hopefully your not running a fridge off your aux battery or you will be up the proverbial creek because they are not designed for it.
Not saying they can’t do it.

For 12 months I used my start battery in the BT to run my fridge on weekends.

If you were, don’t tell the battery shop.

In conclusion you said in the beginning that your car wouldn’t start and went click.
It doesn’t sound like a battery problem.
Check all your connections.

Could be a crook relay or similar.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
627 Posts
😲☹

Just tested the good starting battery & resting at 12.87v and just saw a glimpse of 10.9 as it started.
The sus battery is resting at 12.79 so I'll start the wagon with it tomorrow & see what it drops to. I've disconnected the battery guages in the pillar pod a week ago just in case they were causing any issues.
Appreciate the input yeti.
And I have a deep cycle for the fridge and the fridge alone.
I spent a weekend going over all the earth connections to rule them out.
When it went click, I just grabbed the smart charger, hooked it up, hit the volts boost and it fired right up. No time to test anything, had to get to work.
And I've connected the winch to the second battery, but the vsr has them linked long before the winch is used, which it hasn't been for months...
Dam solenoid. And the winch is on an isolator so it's not powered up all the time, just when you need it.

Reactions: Yeti's Beast

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
11,503 Posts

Just tested the good starting battery & resting at 12.87v and just saw a glimpse of 10.9 as it started.
The sus battery is resting at 12.79 so I'll start the wagon with it tomorrow & see what it drops to. I've disconnected the battery guages in the pillar pod a week ago just in case they were causing any issues.
Appreciate the input yeti.
And I have a deep cycle for the fridge and the fridge alone.
I spent a weekend going over all the earth connections to rule them out.
When it went click, I just grabbed the smart charger, hooked it up, hit the volts boost and it fired right up. No time to test anything, had to get to work.
And I've connected the winch to the second battery, but the vsr has them linked long before the winch is used, which it hasn't been for months...
Dam solenoid. And the winch is on an isolator so it's not powered up all the time, just when you need it.
It all sounds pretty good, best test for batteries is a carbon pile test as the electronic tests don’t give a good indication of a batteries capacity.
Next time look at Amaron Batteries.
I’ve been shocked by their cranking performance and by the amount of requests we get for them.
They really have a good reputation

22041 - 22060 of 22108 Posts