Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
22281 - 22300 of 22306 Posts

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
3,157 Posts
The misso's bloody Falcon. Pile of garbage.

Couple of months ago, it chewed an intake gasket, I'd just moved into my new joint and tools were still packed away.
So that was an expensive trip to the mechanic. Had to preserve the engine though, didn't want it leaning out and packing up since I have first dibs on that Barra and XR seats once the rest of the car is junk. Which is now, but anyway....

Last week the battery packed it in. Only battery I had that came close to fitting was out of a little Kia or something, I don't remember. But that was too big and due to the design of the battery hold down and plastic protector condom thingo it will only accept one specific battery size. So now the much too large battery out of the much smaller vehicle with an engine half the size is held in with what can only be described as a work of zip tie art. Mainly cause its disturbingly close to welding the bonnet shut.

This week a bloody wheel bearing has packed it in, only 220,000km on it and it is violently bad. Sounds like a blender full of rocks above 20km/h. That may be because its full of water and i'm pretty sure the spindle is also rusty.
Can't buy the bearings either, the whole bloody hub has to be replaced.

Oh, also one of the door latched is rooted, can't open the door from the inside, it doesn't lock, and opening it from the outside will unlock the rest of the car. WTF.
And the drivers window is sloooooooow to roll up.
And its now due for a service as well.

Despite the list of issues and broken crap longer than all of my Patrols combined, the missus is somehow not interested in upgrading to an MK as a daily??

Mind boggling.
  • Intake gasket isn't one I've heard of letting go.
  • The battery box is to protect it from the heat of the engine bay; that's why it has that little air duct feeding into it from under the headlight.
  • One of my wheel bearings to let go about the same mileage, so not really surprising considering they're a non-serviceable item. Probably ahead hours wise compared with removing and repacking a Patrol's bearings ever 20,000km.
  • The design is to make life easy for the stealership monkeys, because there's not many proper mechanics these days. Not much material wastage, even though it seems a strange setup to those of us used to more conventional bearing designs.
  • Which door latch? Sounds like the door needs pulling apart and checking the mechanism hasn't become disconnected.
  • Reg is on its way out. Factory it's a motor/reg unit; aftermarket you can get reg only for half the price.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,234 Posts
  • Intake gasket isn't one I've heard of letting go.
  • The battery box is to protect it from the heat of the engine bay; that's why it has that little air duct feeding into it from under the headlight.
  • One of my wheel bearings to let go about the same mileage, so not really surprising considering they're a non-serviceable item. Probably ahead hours wise compared with removing and repacking a Patrol's bearings ever 20,000km.
  • The design is to make life easy for the stealership monkeys, because there's not many proper mechanics these days. Not much material wastage, even though it seems a strange setup to those of us used to more conventional bearing designs.
  • Which door latch? Sounds like the door needs pulling apart and checking the mechanism hasn't become disconnected.
  • Reg is on its way out. Factory it's a motor/reg unit; aftermarket you can get reg only for half the price.
Yeah I know why the battery box is there, but its dimensions didn't much help me at the time.

The prod at the wheel bearings lasting 200k was a bit tongue in cheek. Much quicker to change but being a vehicular luddite I still prefer serviceability.
There's something to be said for not blowing the entire front hub assembly and being elbow deep in grease, granted.

Drivers rear latch is gone. Passenger rear had a similar issue earlier this year, couldn't open the door from the inside but it didn't unlock the rest of the car.
From memory something had seized and bent in the latch, but it wasn't too hard to fix. Hopefully similar this time, we'll see.

Yeah figured the reg would be gone. That's in the fix it later basket.

I have simmered down after my post now. But I've not yet forgiven the Falcon.

·
Registered
2x ford mavricks
210 Posts
Yeah I know why the battery box is there, but its dimensions didn't much help me at the time.

The prod at the wheel bearings lasting 200k was a bit tongue in cheek. Much quicker to change but being a vehicular luddite I still prefer serviceability.
There's something to be said for not blowing the entire front hub assembly and being elbow deep in grease, granted.

Drivers rear latch is gone. Passenger rear had a similar issue earlier this year, couldn't open the door from the inside but it didn't unlock the rest of the car.
From memory something had seized and bent in the latch, but it wasn't too hard to fix. Hopefully similar this time, we'll see.

Yeah figured the reg would be gone. That's in the fix it later basket.

I have simmered down after my post now. But I've not yet forgiven the Falcon.
take the batery condom out unless you live in a hot area or flog the car

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
3,157 Posts
Depending on the model, opening any door from the inside when the vehicle is locked may be correct behaviour. I know that's how it is on my BA. Can't comment on other models.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,234 Posts
take the batery condom out unless you live in a hot area or flog the car
Its currently being used to hold parts. It may go back in the car once the correctly sized battery is sourced.

Which it will be, given the selling the car alternative will apparently result in the purchase of a Jeep.

Depending on the model, opening any door from the inside when the vehicle is locked may be correct behaviour. I know that's how it is on my BA. Can't comment on other models.
Yeah I believe that is normal behaviour, this is also a BA.
I don't think opening one rear door from the outside while the vehicle is locked, and having all the other doors unlock is normal behaviour though.
This failed rear latch is doing just that, the other side that I fixed didn't cause the other doors to unlock.

I'll figure out the cause when I get around to fixing it.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,234 Posts
Bearing replacement went better than expected, neither of the races had siezed to the spindle which was nice.

These ones had worn in just enough to come apart so now they're pretty much serviceable bearings lol.

Body jewelry Natural material Creative arts Automotive tire Bangle

May as well clean them up, grease them and slap the old hub back on.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22,289 ·
When you miss repairing a stone chip on your windscreen and this happens😪😱🤬
Yes, luck can be with you sometimes though, a while back I got a stone chip while out on a back blocks trip, it was heading skywards slowly into direct vision line, but then it did an unexpected U turn and headed for the bottom, which means no rush, lol.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
890 Posts
Yes, luck can be with you sometimes though, a while back I got a stone chip while out on a back blocks trip, it was heading skywards slowly into direct vision line, but then it did an unexpected U turn and headed for the bottom, which means no rush, lol.
Remembered that i have RAC insurance windscreen replacement for $100 booked in for friday between 12 and 4 pm.🤗

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22,291 ·
Remembered that i have RAC insurance windscreen replacement for $100 booked in for friday between 12 and 4 pm.🤗
Lol, for some very strange reason my vehicle doesn't have that in insurance?????? Wife's car is though.....

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
18,809 Posts
Shannons cover 2 a year.

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
27,518 Posts
Lol, for some very strange reason my vehicle doesn't have that in insurance?????? Wife's car is though.....
My Patrol was with Budget and then Coles insurance and windscreen was included.

Foo

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yeti's Beast

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,481 Posts
I've put two screens in my Patrol in 11 years but I'm happy to live with a chip or two if they are out of the way. Consequently, I don't pay the extra premium for excess-free glass replacement.

I want insurance for the events I can't afford to deal with, not to even out the costs of events I can afford. I expect that in the long run I will lose money with insurance but I'm happy with that situation as it provides me protection against possible financial disaster. If some of you are financially in front by paying the extra surcharge for excess-free glass replacement then there will be more of you that are behind because there is one thing for sure and that is the insurers are not going to offer any service that loses them money overall.

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,955 Posts
Would I be correct in assuming that clicking on this is bad juju?

View attachment 536752

It’s from a mobile number I don’t recognize and I’m assuming it’s a new scam type compared to what I’ve seen before.
Nah click on it. They are offering you a free pub lunch.

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,828 Posts
Been up since 3am myself... Heading up the river this morning and guess I'm too excited to sleep. But first I have to load the patrol up without destroying my shoulder.... The Engel will be the biggest challenge to get up on to the draws I think

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

22281 - 22300 of 22306 Posts