Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im in the market for a new clutch for my GQ 4.2 petrol been looking at safari tuff n sports tuff but have found this one extreme clutches!!

can anyone tell me which clutch is better out of the tuff range
safari tuff $525
or HD sports tuff $600

then there the extreme
Heavyduty $460
DCBHD heavy duty cushon button $580

just want to know what people are running and how they go off road
cheers nisnv8

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
I think Extreme use an Exedy Safari Tuff pressure plate but their own button clutch plate.
I just run a std Exedy clutch, only had it slip once when I was bogged down to the chassis in soft sand on a dune ridge and trying to inch forward. 8psi gives a lot of grip on sand, winched out in the end.

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
i use a safari tuff, never had any issues with it so far....touch wood.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Vote goes to Exedy Safari Tuff from me too. Adequate for most punished we give our Patrols. Same as the std Exedy except for the modified pressure plate which has a slightly higher clamping pressure.
If I was doing comps and lots of water work the button clutch would be the go.

·
Registered
nissan
11,208 Posts
i really dont think a button clutch on the road is going to be very nice to drive. agree with sudso, if doing alot of comps then go for it but road use. no thanks. they are basically either on or off there is very little slip in them and very harse to launch and things like that.
i have also found places were you only want to ride the clutch very slowly to move. a button clutch would make this almost impossible

·
Registered
nissan
128 Posts
Clutch industries 4 terrain. Dual mass flywheel conversion (solid flywheel) on the zd30. Love it feels heaps better then standard.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
got the exedy safari tuff in the tow pig, very happy with it.
Got an ACS xtreme outback with increased clamping force and sprung 6 puck ceramic ready to go in the toy. It's rated for some astronomical torque figure but it's going to be a real bitch to move it around the yard and shed now. I'll probably use low range 1st gear with the hubs unlocked.

Get enough, dont get the biggest baddest one out there because it's going to be grabby.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts