Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i'am going to be painting my GQ in the next few months but can't deciede on what colour...if you had the chance to paint your what would you paint it

i'am thinking

Gunmetal Grey
silver
white
white with silver pearl

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,299 Posts
I had the same quandary when i stripped the GQ down to bare metal....What colour?

To be honest it had been a Maverick with the White over metallic grey along the bottom of the doors.

Out of all the colours i couldn't go past the same colour again and very pleased.

Nissan Arctic white or Polar white i think.

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
My $0.02 - there are only two colours to paint a car - white or black and only a fool would paint their car black. White is cooler, doesn't need clear coat, doesn't fade, is easier to touch up and when was the last time you saw a white car with peeling paint?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
I'd go with white for the above reasons.

That white your talking about with a silver pearl is actually a 3 layer pearl and they are twce the price of a normal metalic to do and twice the work to touch up if you scratch it. Stay away from 3 layer pearls unless it's going to be a shopping trolley.

Cheers mick.

·
Registered
nissan
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd go with white for the above reasons.

That white your talking about with a silver pearl is actually a 3 layer pearl and they are twce the price of a normal metalic to do and twice the work to touch up if you scratch it. Stay away from 3 layer pearls unless it's going to be a shopping trolley.

Cheers mick.
i dont mind white my last GQ was white. whats 4L worth $50-100??

·
Registered
nissan
1,194 Posts
Im thinking of painting mine when the body gets a bit more worse for wear , have sun spot on roof , forest scratches etc , dents . Im thinking gunmetal grey , succ a nice colour and suits everything, it is a bit easier to keep clean then most colours too.
gunmetal all the way ! whats the cost of a respray anyways ?

·
Registered
Nissan
232 Posts
+1 on the cost of a respray.

I've got a 88 maverick swb im considering doing, its red, looks okay, but might/might not come up alright with a cut and polish.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Resprays vary a lot when it comes to price.

Done through a run of the mill panel shop a straight up 2 pack respray of the same colour (dont have to spray door jams, door insides, under bonnet/boot etc) with minimal dent repairs i would suggest $3k as a dead set minimum... in fact you'd be lucky to get away with if for that.

If you are looking at changing the colour i'd say $5k - 6k is ballpark, owing to the fact that it almost doubles the area that you need to paint so you dont end up with say a black car with white door jams.

You can get backyard jobs done that can turn out ok but if you want a good finish i'd say go through a shop as they have booths and all the gear to do the job right. that is unless you know someone trustworthy.

One Reccomendation. DONT EVER PAINT A 4WD BLACK !!! Mine is black over grey and let me say i'm lucky that i dont care what it looks like, coz it gets dirtier quicker than half the girls i've met in the valley. Personally i'd paint it bright orange or snot green.... just to be big bright and obnoxious :)

Note: prices are based on what i know... may i remind you that aint much at all.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Black, if this floats your boat:

White, if this does:

Cheers

Ray

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,849 Posts

White, if this does:

Cheers

Ray
Now Yom wants to paint his jeep Black... Gudonya Ray!

Paint it gold. Is Nice! Doesn't show the dirt bad and looks swoit!

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts

Cheers

Ray
U r just jellus because that dude operates "On a smoother level of sophistication and taste."

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
i dont mind white my last GQ was white. whats 4L worth $50-100??
Anywhere from about $300 up for 2 pack with hardener and enamel probably about $150 for white. I'm really only guessing though.

+1 on the cost of a respray.

I've got a 88 maverick swb im considering doing, its red, looks okay, but might/might not come up alright with a cut and polish.
Starting price for a basic respray on a red would be about $4500 and for inside and out up to $10,000 or more depending on the body.

Cheers Mick.

·
Quickest Tyre Deflator On The Market
nissan
3,026 Posts
Mate, seriously I think you should paint it "nipple pink" that way you would get all the suckers in!!:D

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ ute
362 Posts
enamel gun metal grey

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
just had my gq ute resprayed the factory gold color they came out in. done it just because the clear coat was blistering and dont want it to rust anywhere. didnt get any panel work done, dont care about dents. more will just get put in it. anyway i payed $1500 and i took all the door locks and handles grill mirrors etc off it myself. came up good. i guess there is double the ammount of panels in a wagon tho.

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
half way through painting the mav
narrowed it down to 2 colors both ford colors 2010 year model
1st choice ego dark charcoal /grey black or
edge black/ dark blue under tones - dark may as well be black
your thoughts please
andrew

1 - 20 of 32 Posts