Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

14961 - 14980 of 14991 Posts

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
19,760 Posts
I don't miss the days of my old GQ and keeping the dual fuel tunes right!

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,424 Posts
Took it up to Kenilworth to catch up with son who's camping there, we all went out 4x4ing behind Charlie Moreland Camping ground a bit later. Some tricky stuff out there, son staked a tyre on his Pajero halfway up an steepish incline, very interesting changing a tyre on an incline with a drop off on one side, his jack broke so we had to drag my bottlejack out of the draws.

The upshot of the whole day was the old GU went superbly got a work out on the highway getting there and a good 4by work out, with the e-locker engaged the old girl treated the tracks with disdain, and performed beautifully all round, engine temps great and EGT fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I switched the 35 simex centipedes that she came with for much nicer 33" yokohama geolander MT003s. So much difference in the ride, a much nicer little truck to drive!

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,315 Posts
Bolted hinges to the solar panel and mounted to front of roof rack, normal use it sits flat, with room underneath to mount maxtrax out of the sun.

Exhibit A;

Astute observers will have noted the gas struts on the outer extremities, pull a clip out of each side and, sun position permitting, it offers a better angle. I can even drive with it like that, as it offers a perfect wind deflector when my oztent or swag or something is up there. Tent is only an RV1 so fits perfectly under there and wholly within rack.

Exhibit B;

In these pics car was facing almost directly north, and, late morning, I shlt you not the watts output was approx 30% higher with panel tilted up. Of course this will depend on both time of year and time of day (ie angle of sun).

As you can see it’s only a fairly small panel, but with 40 litre Engel on, and not tilted up, battery went in to float around 10.30am, so pretty bloody happy with that.

Exhibit C;

And that is using a VictronConnect MPPT reg. Hands down best value for money controller I’ve come across.

Exhibit D,

That is all.

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,315 Posts
Oh, and neatest way I could find to get wiring in to roof rack was with flange mount deutsch plugs. I’ve seen some truly bloody horrific wiring efforts on roof racks over the years, sends a shiver down my spine.

·
Go The Knights and Blues
32,831 Posts
Looks good leethal.. Great handywork..

You were the one to put me onto the victron mppt solar controllers and it's been fantastic.. And I thankyou again for that..👍

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,315 Posts
Ah yes... and under bonnet lights.

This one time, in band camp, I had to replace an alternator at ten pm using a phone torch.

Couldn’t wait ‘til morning, had places to go, things to see and people to do. Or something like that.

Never again, rather cover the just in case department.

So I got two small stedi LEDs, surface mount bad boys. Also found a switch that fits in a factory hole in the bonnet, and ran all the wiring inside the bonnet and through another flange mount deutsch plug.

Left myself an option to fit a third one in the middle but just the two is more than enough.

Sorry can’t post other pics, this dumb forum software puts them sideways or upside down lol

In my GQ I had the under bonnet lights on a bonnet switch to come on automatically when bonnet opened, but I preferred to just switch it manually this time.

Another item ticked off the seemingly endless list...

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,315 Posts
Troy I can’t remember how long ago they introduced it but I know you have the VictronConnect app on your phone (how good is that!), now it is built in to the smart solar models but earlier you had to buy a separate ‘dongle’ (sounds a bit rude) for the blue tooth, which version is yours? Either way glad you’re happy with it, I had fitted a few for other folks and was impressed, hence I recommended it to you, and the ongoing good reports from folks such as yourself made it an easy choice when I had to buy one for my own car, so for that I thank YOU lol

·
Go The Knights and Blues
32,831 Posts
Troy I can’t remember how long ago they introduced it but I know you have the VictronConnect app on your phone (how good is that!), now it is built in to the smart solar models but earlier you had to buy a separate ‘dongle’ (sounds a bit rude) for the blue tooth, which version is yours? Either way glad you’re happy with it, I had fitted a few for other folks and was impressed, hence I recommended it to you, and the ongoing good reports from folks such as yourself made it an easy choice when I had to buy one for my own car, so for that I thank YOU lol
The one I purchased was the mppt 74 / 10..
And yes I had to buy the Bluetooth dongle separately.. The app is great I love it..
Recommend it fully to anyone looking for a solar controller..👍

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,378 Posts
Had similar idea for when i get a solar panel, using is as a wind deflector as well.

Really need to sort under bonnet lights.
On the ever growing list of jobs i should do to old patrol.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Bolted hinges to the solar panel and mounted to front of roof rack, normal use it sits flat, with room underneath to mount maxtrax out of the sun.

Exhibit A;
View attachment 524932

Astute observers will have noted the gas struts on the outer extremities, pull a clip out of each side and, sun position permitting, it offers a better angle. I can even drive with it like that, as it offers a perfect wind deflector when my oztent or swag or something is up there. Tent is only an RV1 so fits perfectly under there and wholly within rack.

Exhibit B;
View attachment 524933

View attachment 524934

In these pics car was facing almost directly north, and, late morning, I shlt you not the watts output was approx 30% higher with panel tilted up. Of course this will depend on both time of year and time of day (ie angle of sun).

As you can see it’s only a fairly small panel, but with 40 litre Engel on, and not tilted up, battery went in to float around 10.30am, so pretty bloody happy with that.

Exhibit C;
View attachment 524935

And that is using a VictronConnect MPPT reg. Hands down best value for money controller I’ve come across.

Exhibit D,
View attachment 524936

That is all.
So many things I like in you post.
I have an 80w panel on a slide under the rear of my roof rack. But thinking of mounting another 80w on the front similar to what you have.
Just wonder what you used for the hinge?
And you don’t happen to have a part number for the rams do you?

Last question are the Victorian rated for under bonnet. As I’m not happy with my CTEK dcdc. So thinking about putting the redarc VSR back in. And using a stand alone solar controller.

Oh and that door card looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,315 Posts
You’ll be happy to know the hinges were just off the shelf stainless steel ones from bunnings, I used nutserts (aka rivnuts) and countersunk head stainless Phillips head M6 bolts to secure it. The struts were also bunnings, pretty sure they are 150n but that depends on your chosen pivot points, 300n may work better.

I don’t think the Victron has a sufficient IP rating for under bonnet use from memory, maybe you could mount it up near top of passenger kick panel area so it’s close to engine bay grommet but safe from the elements?

As for the door card, thanks, it was a lot of work. The drawers were in my GQ, so I had to mount them as far back as possible to fit, even though I’d intentionally made them too short for just that possible future purpose.

As a result, the soap dispenser could not go on outside of trim like in GQ and had to be recessed. I picked a spot to minimize amount of material to cut from door frame and mounted new holder behind it. Proudly finished it, proclaimed figjam and went to shut the door. Bad news... the one obvious thing I’d ignored was the steel sliding limit strap in the door that hit it.

Pretty pissed off... so I cut hole in ally trim bigger, and mounted it from the outside, and attacked the limit strap with a die grinder. Still not quite enoug, close but no cigar. Hence the otherwise unnecessary pinchweld around it, and also painted door trim gunmetal grey and soap holder the same gold/beige as the car, the combined effect makes it look like I meant that and I wasn’t just covering an incompetent f$&@ up 😇

Don’t tell anyone turps, it’s our secret 👍👍👍

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,315 Posts
Here turps, this was a progress shot of plan A;

Until the strap made its presence known;

Pfft

And to give you an idea of the clearances I was dealing with... the water tap and outlet? Check out the clearance with the door closed, you’ll see how much I had to have it millimeter perfect 👌

That time I got a cigar 😇

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,240 Posts
@Leethal
Is the water stored in the door cavity aswell, or piped from somewhere else?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
@Leethal that's a laundry list of stuff! Nice work, you were busy. I don't understand a lot of it, but it looks good.. :)

I'm probably the least handy person on here, and have never really worked on cars before. So all of this is a learning experience and quite fun. Bought new seats, pulled out the interior as the carpet is filth - will gurney it on a warmer day this week, see how it comes up.. Might just replace it. There is literally inches of mud stuck to it. Seller had done a lot of suspension/engine/audio work, but hadn't really cleaned the car, ever.

Old seats ready for the rubbish...
mw6.jpg

Carpet ready to be removed. In the below picture, the black ply box is a custom battery box for a 45kg marine auxiliary battery. Seems like overkill, so removed that too.. will put a normal second battery in the engine bay. Had to then look at the wiring, some very interesting choices had been made. When I bought her a few weeks ago I was told she weighed 2600kg, leaving me only 100kg of payload. So have reduced a lot of the weight and will then run her over a weighbridge again. Stock weight is around 1950kg apparently.
mw5.jpg

mel1.jpg

Assessing the VERY interesting wiring choices.. These are from the head unit to the amps and sub behind my seat. All this wiring was sitting just under the carpet, exactly as you see in the pic.
mw4.jpg

Bit nicer. Still thousands of kms of wiring (well that's what it feels like) to be fixed.. Floor plan of the entire car is in very good condition, which is a relief. Couple of tiny spots of rust starting but the floor pan looks almost new. Will treat the small spots before re-installing carpet.
mw3.jpg

New seats! Nice deluxe velour ones. Not installed just yet, will do that sometime today.
mw7.jpg

And here's me the day before with my new plates :D :D Sorry for the photo essay.. here endeth my weekend activities.
mw2.jpg

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,315 Posts
@Leethal
Is the water stored in the door cavity aswell, or piped from somewhere else?
I don’t think you’d get much water in that door Trev.,, 😆

Nah mate it’s plumbed from a tank between the rear seats and the drawers. It holds about 45 litres.

I was outside and took a couple of pics for you, while I had a brick in my hand waiting for a serial early morning horn-beeper, but that’s another story.

Tank;

Surprise surprise it’s sideways, sorry mate you’d think after all this time the forum could get basic shlt right.

Behind the tank is a small water pump, 4.5 lpm which does a great job.

And that gets to the door via a braided section that follows the wiring harness, it’s about as discreet as I could get it.

There ya go. Not a five minute job (what ever is?) but not rocket science either, so anyone could do something similar.

Running water for washing hands etc is bloody magic, one of my most commonly used camping mods over the years.

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,315 Posts
Oh, and possibly in a stroke of boredom, I made a small drop down butane cooker thingie for the other barn door. Still have to make a small stainless table to go next to it but Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Great for cooking snags and chops on day trips, or when you’re away from the camper for the day. When secured upright it fits nicely in the gap between door and fridge when closed, saves the space of having it in the drawer so pretty happy with that!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
That looks pretty darn good. I didn’t even notice the water tap. Once I get around to buying a water bladder to hang off my cargo barrier. I plan to run the hose to the small door.
I have pics of others setups using a fold down spout that has tap which incorporates a on/off switch. And they have mounted it to the bottom of the window sill.

Might have to keep on researching solar controllers. Don’t really want to spend money on a redarc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14961 - 14980 of 14991 Posts