Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

15001 - 15020 of 15030 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,284 Posts
COVID + Online shopping = Projects I wouldn't normally tackle... ;)

We all know how the silver door finishers in a facelift GU wear when you give it as much as a dirty look. Even though my Patrol is still a very low mileage example (less than 14k) the driver's door is already starting to show signs of wear 'n tear. Also, with the position of my audio unit, I tend to rest the palm of my hand on the silver centre finisher and, although it still looked perfectly fine, the surface started to feel very smooth so the paint is wearing thin there also.

I've been looking at the Desinger Wrap kits that SCA stock and decided to give it a go. Something to kill some time at home that is relatively inexpensive and doesn't require special tools.

So here's the result. Everything that was silver is now carbon fibre. Was a bit more challenging than I thought and I probably spent 3 hours on YouTube. Could be better, but I'm happy... For now... If any of the handful of tiny little flaws annoy me enough, I'll just rip it off and do it again. Got plenty spare wrap left over.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,093 Posts
COVID + Online shopping = Projects I wouldn't normally tackle... ;)

We all know how the silver door finishers in a facelift GU wear when you give it as much as a dirty look. Even though my Patrol is still a very low mileage example (less than 14k) the driver's door is already starting to show signs of wear 'n tear. Also, with the position of my audio unit, I tend to rest the palm of my hand on the silver centre finisher and, although it still looked perfectly fine, the surface started to feel very smooth so the paint is wearing thin there also.

I've been looking at the Desinger Wrap kits that SCA stock and decided to give it a go. Something to kill some time at home that is relatively inexpensive and doesn't require special tools.

So here's the result. Everything that was silver is now carbon fibre. Was a bit more challenging than I thought and I probably spent 3 hours on YouTube. Could be better, but I'm happy... For now... If any of the handful of tiny little flaws annoy me enough, I'll just rip it off and do it again. Got plenty spare wrap left over.
View attachment 525363
That turned out great.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
That turned out great.
It does look good.

I wonder what the live span of that stuff is. I have had a roll for about 10yrs. I was going to do the flaky interior trim on my falcon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AndrieK

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,284 Posts
It does look good.

I wonder what the live span of that stuff is. I have had a roll for about 10yrs. I was going to do the flaky interior trim on my falcon.
Thx Turps.
Not sure about this wrap stuff, but vinyl manufacturers normally say decals have a shelf life of 12 months. But if you store it in a cool dry dark place, it could be longer. Ten years is long though...

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,366 Posts
Dropped mine off the other day to have rear bar made. Pretty sure I’ve examined every off the shelf model available, not one single one up to scratch, or even close.

So I’ve specified a number of design criteria, I’ve supplied hella stop/tail/indicators, stedi reverse light, heavy duty latches that will allow you to just shut it like a car door as I despise all the cheap over centre things and kaymar type handles, I want it to work like a door. It will have a recessed flush mount for a 240v input on driver’s side wing so I can plug 240 in at home or caravan parks to run fridge and battery charger if I want to. Will have brackets for mud flaps, provision for reverse camera, my swing down vice mount, mounts for shock reservoirs and also for my HF aerial. Oh... and it will be weapons grade indestructible 😎

I’ll get it coated in line-x to match the bullbar, looking forward to it being done!

A mate is doing it as he’d do a better job than me. It’s in the category of items I’d do for someone else’s car but not mine lol

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,366 Posts
AK that carbon fibre look wrap looks fantastic. My centre one is fine but I just painted the ones on the doors in dark metallic grey but you’ve put all that to shame!

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,821 Posts
We will need pictures of the finished product.

Reactions: AndrieK

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,284 Posts
AK that carbon fibre look wrap looks fantastic. My centre one is fine but I just painted the ones on the doors in dark metallic grey but you’ve put all that to shame!
Thx Lee

It's not perfect, but my OCD is well documented on here, so most would probably not even notice. And like I said, I can have another go if I ever felt the need.

I undestand your frustration with the off the shelf rear bar designs. I've been refining a CAD design on and off for the best part of two years now and it's getting very close to being ready. I just need to find someone now who can cut, bend and weld the steel for me.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
After washing off the mud from a 3000k trip and giving the Trol a nice coating of wax, I retightened and replaced missing screws from the tail light assemblies, they don't like corrugations :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,262 Posts
I use Koni shocks (oil is good) on my home road of ruts, need to stop, drop and drive out.
Do not think a wax job would stick and both of us would get as fright.:)

·
Registered
33,170 Posts
After washing off the mud from a 3000k trip and giving the Trol a nice coating of wax, I retightened and replaced missing screws from the tail light assemblies, they don't like corrugations :rolleyes:.
What sort of Polish and wax did you use?

And to be perfectly honest with you, I can only be bothered just polishing. Is there a real need to wax anyway?
I can understand a show mint car but not a 4x4..

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,565 Posts
Took it off road for the first time in ages. Went for an explore in the mountains up behind us, found a section that needed low first & second, even with the reduction gears, a 300m climb in around 1km. Made the mistake of only wearing shorts & t-shirt, was a bit cool up at 800-1000m.

·
Registered
33,170 Posts
Took it off road for the first time in ages. Went for an explore in the mountains up behind us, found a section that needed low first & second, even with the reduction gears, a 300m climb in around 1km. Made the mistake of only wearing shorts & t-shirt, was a bit cool up at 800-1000m.
So the transfer oil hadn't seized up ...

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
19,812 Posts
Outstanding!!!

940KM of motoring pleasure. Can't believe the difference! EGT's still a bit high but might have to get that Dork scoop. One of the blokes that come down his DI pulled the pin leaving Adelaide :( Up side for me he has an almost new Johnny Tig top mount... So depends what we he ends up going i could score me a cheap cooler upgrade. :D

The seagull is circling. :LOL:

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
And to be perfectly honest with you, I can only be bothered just polishing. Is there a real need to wax anyway?
I can understand a show mint car but not a 4x4..
Problem solved, you treat yours the way you wish to and I'll treat mine the way I wish to. The old DI GUII, owned since new, is now 20 years and 2 months old, been to more places in outback AU than 'the avarage bear' and still looks and goes pretty damn good (despite some early adversity), when yours reaches those milestones let me know, oh hang on, I'm 74, I might not live that long..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
33,170 Posts
Problem solved, you treat yours the way you wish to and I'll treat mine the way I wish to. The old DI GUII, owned since new, is now 20 years and 2 months old, been to more places in outback AU than 'the avarage bear' and still looks and goes pretty damn good (despite some early adversity), when yours reaches those milestones let me know, oh hang on, I'm 74, I might not live that long..... :rolleyes:
There's another in part of my post that you failed to answer..

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
There's another in part of my post that you failed to answer..
Oh, how remiss of me!!!!!!!! but, but, but, you indicated you couldn't be bothered waxing so I assumed your interest was for post content purposes only :unsure:.

All Turtle Wax products. the last being Turtle Wax Hard Shell.

15001 - 15020 of 15030 Posts