Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
15381 - 15400 of 15453 Posts

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,279 Posts
Mine's due for an oil change early in the new year, not looking forward to it, as I need to pull the sump off to change the leaking gasket.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,516 Posts
Did a short beach run,clean dog vomit from the tray.....bloody kids had been feeding her turkey all day, mixed with sea water, it didnt end well.

Found out the nittos go great in the sand once at 14psi.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,752 Posts
Greasy oil change, ready for my trip down to NSW in a week, looking forward to getting back on the road.

·
Registered
nissan
5,310 Posts
It’s bucketing down here so decided to make a start on the Lokka install. I have the left axle out and made sure I have the right spline count with the Lokka axle gear before I go any further.
I did the rotors a couple of months ago and did the CVs 40k ago so it all came apart easily.

I’m hoping to get the third member out by this evening but I’ll have to make a cradle for the jack because I can’t handle that kind of weight anymore..

Automotive tire Tire Gas Automotive wheel system Bumper

Gas Composite material Engineering Auto part Machine

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
18,192 Posts
Hope you’ll be as happy with the Lokka as I am with mine. Great bit of kit. There is a big dune at Cape Flattery, before Lokker it would be two or three runs to get up, after Lokka, straight up.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,121 Posts
@JFF45 From your instructions you will have a thickness measurement for the body clearance, which can be adjusted via the old sun gear shims, i think its about 125 thou or so.
From experience you can adjust that measurement to make the lokka more aggressive and noisy or less shim to be less aggressive and less noisy.
The only reason the lokka can be noisy and aggressive as some suggest is because they have been slack and have not set the measurement correctly. (it important to get it right)
If you set the measurement correctly the lokka is very silent and will not generate hard steering or aggressively return to centre as most other auto lockers seem to have.
I have experienced most other auto lockers and they can be very aggressive, the lokka can be adjusted so you can have nice silent operation and have enough aggressive lock up without being intrusive. You will still need to remove power or lift off the throttle to change direction, once you have learnt the technique you will not forget, and understand why this lokka is way better than any manually locked diff when it comes to safe steering control on harder dirt surfaces..

On harder surfaces if you lift of power the lokka should disengage instantly giving back steering control. If it doesn't you will need to reduce the preload off the 4 little springs via less sun gear shims.

Even on wet slippery dirt roads at speed in high range 4x4, when set right and some technique the lokka is intuitive and feels very safe and planted to drive.
If i remember rightly i found the std measurement perfect for low speed situations and sand work with no noise. I did set a little less shim for perfect high speed hard surfaces and high speed slippery conditions.

You are a smart dude and will already understand the mechanics.

·
Registered
nissan
5,310 Posts
Cheers Peter, I’m expecting it to meet the clearances that Lokka specify. From what I’ve researched, most are able to fit it without having to change the original shims.

I’ll know tomorrow when we get the centre out. Everything is undone but I didn’t dare try to pull it out alone.

·
Registered
nissan
5,310 Posts
Hope you’ll be as happy with the Lokka as I am with mine. Great bit of kit. There is a big dune at Cape Flattery, before Lokker it would be two or three runs to get up, after Lokka, straight up.
I’m convinced they’re worth having even if I don’t use the Patrol a lot. Its also an interesting exercise to fit it myself.

15381 - 15400 of 15453 Posts