Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
15401 - 15420 of 15453 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
5,310 Posts
Got the centre out this morning with one of my boys helping on the jack. I think the thing weighs about 40 kgs.
Took a quick backlash measurement so I can recheck when I get it all back together.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Lokka is in and all clearances fall roughly in the middle of the required specs.
I’ll refit the crown-wheel tomorrow and hope to get it back in.

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Rim Automotive design Audio equipment

Aldi impact wrench is a great tool for this kind of job. Can’t remember the last time I used the air impact wrench.

Pneumatic tool Saw Handheld power drill Motor vehicle Tool

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,279 Posts
Replaced the radio antenna, not really too difficult, just awkward for us old folk. An old pillow placed over the disk & hub made it a lot less painful.
Quite a lot of dirt in the bottom of the panels.
Composite material Gas Concrete Machine Wood

No sign of rust luckily, testament to Nissan's rust proofing, also found the hex bit I dropped down there about 10 years ago.

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
10,003 Posts
Washed and parked up on front yard again till next needed.

·
Registered
nissan
5,310 Posts
I’m now the happy owner of a twin locked GU. Rear diff is factory locker.
The Lokka seems to work as expected, drove around the yard in 2WD with hubs locked and it clacks when turning left or right.
Slightly heavier steering but nothing to worry about.
I believe it’s worth doing if you can do it yourself.

Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,751 Posts
Packed it ready for the road trip.

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,325 Posts
I’m now the happy owner of a twin locked GU. Rear diff is factory locker.
The Lokka seems to work as expected, drove around the yard in 2WD with hubs locked and it clacks when turning left or right.
Slightly heavier steering but nothing to worry about.
I believe it’s worth doing if you can do it yourself.

View attachment 538145
All good for a trip to Fraser. Show everyone how easy the Ngkala bypass track is.:)

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
18,192 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,296 Posts
Wasn’t there talk of having a forum meetup on Fraser?

·
Registered
nissan
5,310 Posts
It was suggested by Oscar after the high country meetup

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
18,192 Posts
And I do believe that I replied. 😉

Reactions: JFF45

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
11,761 Posts
Personally I prefer Fraser. It’s more challenging than Moreton and more to see like Lake Mackenzie. That’s something you have to see and float down Eli creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
nissan
5,310 Posts
Used it to bring down a big foxtail palm beside the pool with younger son at the wheel while I cut it. Small space to get it through between the gazebo and pool fence. Missed the gazebo by a good 100mm ;)

Automotive parking light Plant Tire Vehicle Car

Cloud Plant Sky Property Plant community

Plant Tree Fence Wood Grass

Yes, I know, roof needs cleaning.. :)

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,565 Posts
The one time I had a drive in a Lokka equipped car I found it had characteristics I didn't like on a steep descent. There was a mixture of bare rock and decomposed granite which the Lokka had performed well on heading up but now heading down in low first it would have been nice to turn it off because the only way to get it to unlock was to put the clutch in or give it a quick stab on the throttle both of which were undesirable in the situation. It may have been lack of experience but I was left not wanting to own one.

·
Registered
nissan
5,310 Posts
The one time I had a drive in a Lokka equipped car I found it had characteristics I didn't like on a steep descent. There was a mixture of bare rock and decomposed granite which the Lokka had performed well on heading up but now heading down in low first it would have been nice to turn it off because the only way to get it to unlock was to put the clutch in or give it a quick stab on the throttle both of which were undesirable in the situation. It may have been lack of experience but I was left not wanting to own one.
I did a fair bit of research before buying it and the consensus is clearly that the pro’s far outweigh the con’s.
People generally equip their vehicle to suit the intended use and adjust their budget accordingly.
You certainly can’t beat it on price if you do your own install..

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,700 Posts
After owning one for a few years (my previous patrol) with a lokka, it was amazing how it changed where I could drive safely.....

You definately learn to drive it slightly differently to cater for the change in handling.

OB an option you could consider in the above scenario (when you might want to turn off the auto lokka) is to unlock just one of the front hubs (assuming manual hubs). I never actually tried it but always had it as an option in the back of my mind. I'd love to hear from others that may have tried it out

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: JFF45

·
Registered
nissan
5,310 Posts
It’s recommended to modify the auto hubs if you fit a Lokka. I did mine a long time ago so I could move the caravan around in low range.

I read many times about unlocking one hub in certain situations.

15401 - 15420 of 15453 Posts