Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
15421 - 15440 of 15453 Posts

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,566 Posts
I guess everything is a compromise. Disconnecting one of the hubs would probably have done the job since the vehicle was a Cruiser with manual hubs. Knowing that you need to do that beforehand only comes with experience. I do like my auto hubs though. Saved me from muddy or wet feet more than once.

I will agree that as far as traction goes this car was unstoppable and in no way inferior to any locked vehicle l have been in, and at a price that can't be beaten. It was just the downhill behaviour under heavy engine braking that had me worried and wishing the damn thing had an off button.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,121 Posts
I am sure there are situations where the lokka can make steering somewhat heavy or not responsive. I have at times unlocked one hub on steep down hill situations. Thats was in a very hilly gold field, shale rock at Palmer river (lone Star area) I only unlocked the hub because it was more than an hours drive from camp so got a bit tiering fighting the wheel on steep descents, no issues coming back which was mostly uphill. Oddly enough the first time i did that same track a year or so earlier was with a ARB air locker, i can assure you, you don't want to activate a air locker in that situation. In very hilly country like that area its near impossible to unlock the bloody thing. No amount of reversing up or down hills will the thing unlock, you need a bit of flat area to get it to unlock. Maybe the newer versions are better or the electric versions may unlock easier i dont know. Switching a air locker on or off quickly in situations is not really a option as far as my ARB version was concerned. Besides that it was more broken than working due to it would break the dog locking ring if you tried to lock it on the fly in rocky hard surfaces like in gold fields. So there are pro's and con's for both systems. But in the end i find the auto locker is way more versatile and very few short comings compared to a manual lock system. A few operational techniques you need to learn and they become a set and forget system.

I find with a warmed up TD42 you mostly use high range 4x4 so you quickly get use to flicking the leaver between H2 and H4 on the fly if you feel the steering is intrusive.

Just my experience and opinion from using manual and a few versions of auto lock systems. For the Lokka being adjustable i have set the preload on the little springs a little less so heavy steering on descents is not an issue anymore.

·
Registered
nissan
443 Posts
Got the factory Diff locks working again.

A dab of WD40 on the solenoids under the bonnet saw the lock actuating more freely, then the same on the diff lock warning switch mechanism on the diff it self. Engages and disengages well and the warning light works on the dash now after the switch has been freed up

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,516 Posts
Well this happened

Begining of bar upgrades
My one annoyance of the milweld bar was not being able to fit decent spot kights in middle hoop.
It will still be triple hoop bar but will fit spot lights finally.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 3.0 GR, 42" tires, ARB lockers, central tire inflation system, some other bits and bobs.
14 Posts
Slowly digging my way down to replace the injection pump... timing chain came off today.
First time I'm taking a ZD30 engine apart this far so I am taking it nice and slow, making sure I document where everything goes. With luck I'll be finished before the weekend!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,516 Posts
Today i shaved down the winch cradle

First measure and marking my line

Lining up new top plate....10mm was bit of over kill

Finished so far untill i start hoops

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,279 Posts
Gave it a good wash, polish & wax, almost looks like a bought one now. Also took off the driving lights to see if it makes any difference to the engine temperature.

Reactions: Gamma and geeyoutoo

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,753 Posts
Gave it a good wash, polish & wax, almost looks like a bought one now. Also took off the driving lights to see if it makes any difference to the engine temperature.
Groan! Wanna come and do mine when I get home?
Interested to hear what you think about driving light removal and temp, when I took my big round D lights off and replaced them with a low profile 22" light bar I saw no difference.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,279 Posts
Drop in on your way through on Tuesday & I'll let you use my hose.

• Haha
Reactions: geeyoutoo

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
313 Posts
Finally got around to install my coolingmist solenoid today, still kept check valve even though it’s not required

Attachments

Reactions: geeyoutoo

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,297 Posts
Took an oil sample today in preparation for the 12-month service. It’ll be Service No. 8 and I still only have 15,800km on the odo. :ROFLMAO:

I was in two minds about ordering an oil filter from Nizzbits but thought, for only a filter, I’ll probably break even if I just go to the stealers as Nizzbits would have to charge me for shipping.

So begrudgingly off I went to Werribee Nissan, only to arrive at a closed workshop and parts division. :mad: Apparently they are now only open every second Saturday and only till 12pm.

So I decided I’ll order 5 oil filters from Garry on Monday. Bulk buy to justify the shipping. :sneaky: I'd much rather support him anyway.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,753 Posts
Drove it over some nice flooded dirt roads, one being Carrai Rd, interesting. With all the rain they had in Armidale area last night the rivers are rising again.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,279 Posts
I've done a couple of good trips up that way. Drove some back tracks from the Armidale-Kempsy road, down through Werrikimbe NP, through Pappinbarra area (where my mum grew up) then to Wauchope. We camped a couple of nights at Brushy Mountain camp ground in Werrikimbe NP. Can also recommend a visit to the Wilson river nature reserve.

Reactions: Yeti's Beast

·
Registered
102 Posts
Drove it over some nice flooded dirt roads, one being Carrai Rd, interesting. With all the rain they had in Armidale area last night the rivers are rising again.
Sometimes driving your 4wd off road if it doesn't get used very often reminds you why you have spent so much on the bloody thing!!! Gave mine a service couple days ago then took it camping and a coupla long drives up the beach and its very satisfying!!! Parked up again for another 2 weeks now while I go earn some more money to chuck at it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,516 Posts
Sometimes driving your 4wd off road if it doesn't get used very often reminds you why you have spent so much on the bloody thing!!! Gave mine a service couple days ago then took it camping and a coupla long drives up the beach and its very satisfying!!! Parked up again for another 2 weeks now while I go earn some more money to chuck at it.
Yep, i find myself questioning to sell the old gq, then i go offroad and remember why shes sticking around for a long time still.

15421 - 15440 of 15453 Posts