Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

3921 - 3940 of 3969 Posts

·
Registered
nissan MK
43 Posts
Rust

The time for research is over, the time for doing is now.
Thank you all for the ideas and pics that you posted. I have decided to use metal in the rebuild not fiberglass and have come up with a design that should work using your ideas.
Will post pics when I finish, once again thank you.:D

·
Registered
nissan
338 Posts
I dropped the oil out of the manual, and replaced with this stuff. I shall see if it helps with the slightly more grinding of gears than I am comfortable with doing. Maybe it's just me haha

·
Registered
nissan MK
43 Posts
Rust

So while I have the old girl in the garage, decided to give her a critical eye over. Pulled off the wiper channel cover to find the fan cowling totally rusted out.
I have spat the dummy big time.
Now I have decided to do a total restoration on the old girl, what I have to replace I will
, what I cant I will modify, will keep her in the garage for at least 12 months and take my time doing it, I owe the car that.
Looking at a budget of about $10000 to $15000. Cheap compared to the new heaps of crap they call 4 wheel drives.

Attachments

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,843 Posts
Those cowlings do have a habit of rusting out.
Keep us updated with the progress of the resto.

I have to get some rust repaired on mine soon too. Behind the doors and quite possibly sills.

·
Registered
nissan MK
43 Posts
Well I think that figure is about right and still come out with a better truck than whats on offer brand new. Another reason is that when ever I'm out someone always says that they owned one (MQ/MK) and the worst thing they ever did was to get rid of it and buy their current truck. The current quote is "the new ones are a heap of s#%^". After a good look at them I agree.
Yes, I will keep you up to date, I will do it in three sections, engine section, cabin, back section.
First section, have already cut out all rust, painted in rust converter, welded in new metal and painted the whole section in cold Gal and over painted in rust protection paint.
Rust be buggered. The rust seems to be mostly in joins and stiffener sections, especially in the spot welded parts where the paint has not penetrated under the weld. Anyway I will keep going will post pics when I can.:)

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
Decided to check and clean the fuel strainer and after seeing it was packed full of debris, I decided to replace it with a 100 micron inline fuel strainer to hopefully give it a bit more flow and make it easier clean out next time.

Not sure if its my imagination but it does feel faster now.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ 4.2 Petrol/LPG
836 Posts
Weekend trip comming up...

Decided I need a break! Started packing today for a long weekend fishing trip somewhere along Rainbow Beach / Inskip area. :cheers:

Had to dig around to find where I placed all my camping gear.... Feels good to load all the gear back in the MQ, it should stay there. No more using it as a daily!!!! :rolleyes:
At least summer is comming so I can commute with my bike again :toothmis:

3921 - 3940 of 3969 Posts