Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
3,961 - 3,980 of 4,098 Posts
so unfortunately, i gotta announce that today, I sold my Safari\MQ160 Patrol is what i did
I did not have time for the old girl lately and someone came along and snatched her up at a bargain price
hoping she makes her new owner's life worthwhile.
bought as a work vehicle to access some hard to reach areas

I'll still be around these parts for a bit, ya never know a newer model Patrol may still be in my future

I have been working on my Nissan fuel system. I have removed the low pressure pumps and surge tank and fitted internal pressure pumps.

The back tank is now fitted with two internal fuel pumps, one for the rear tank fuel tank engine supply, and one for tank to tank transfer. These can be swapped over if I have a fuel pump problem for the main fuel supply.

I still have to do the same conversion for the front fuel tank, plus redo the wiring to control the pumps as required.

Replaced front-end bushes, Panhard, Radius arms, and swaybar "D" bushes.
I had already fitted new Stabilizers to the swaybar and new springs and shocks 2" lift, so now she pretty much has all new front-end.
Huge shoutout to Garry@Nizzbits Excellent Service, Price and Communication you won me mate you will be my go to man for parts from now on.

Had to search a few pages back in history to find this thread again.... so without further ado.

So I recently started working on the never ending list of things that I need done. Latest is something that I've never done properly, so this time I did a better job fitting some diff, gearbox and transfer case breathers. I even threaded the 2 rear breather pipes through the chassis rail on the left. The only place I could find to fit the outlets, was on the inner guard behind the snorkel.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Automotive design

I also remounted the air box and created a new inlet for the airflow meter and refitted the 2 breather pipes into the new silicone hoses that I used. I made and adapter and with a few pvc 90mm bends I linked the air box to the snorkel.
While doing this I noticed that the O2 sensor wiring and plug was missing.... holy crap, I must have cut it off when last I cleaned up the wiring loom. So I had to open up the nicely wrapped wiring loom all the way to the ECU, find the places where I cut the wires. Luckily I dumped all the old wiring and plugs into a box and after an hours search, there must be kilometers of Skyline look in there, I found the OS sensor plug with the wires still attached. Soldered back and re-wrapped the loom and everything is all good again. I guess that is partly why my fuel consumption was very bad lately, the other reason is the new 2.5 inch exhaust that makes this beautiful sound..... :p

Also fitted the 2 new 7 inch LED spotties and light bar on the front. Holy crap, more light than I will need!
Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

Lastly, I finally fitted some rear recovery points onto the chassis rails under the rear bar. At least the front ARB bar come with 2 built in points.

Next month, definitely a winch. I will have to fabricate a winch mounting plate and cut a few holes in the ARB front bar which I don't really look forward to.

After that, rock sliders and then I still need to fit the front ARB locker thats been sitting on the shelf for the last 5 years... don't ask.

So that is what I did with my Patrol today, almost every day for the last 2 weeks.

Re-drilled the hole for the auto shifter linkage tonight to fix the shifter not needing the lock button pushed in to go into 1st. Now it's back to factory and much safer, for the gearbox at least. ;)

Must be getting close to adding a T suffix to the end of that RB25 :)

Must be getting close to adding a T suffix to the end of that RB25 :)
Mate don't get me started... but even before I think about adding that to my looong list of upgrades, I will have to upgrade the brakes, then think what I am going to do without a license and a crushed car... 🤪

Reactions: james008
So I kept a few things from the R34 Skyline front chop that gave me the donor RB24DE NEO engine. Today I opened one of the boxes with the panel that covers the drivers side under the steering wheel of the R34. Well, I needed a switch panel for the new spot lights and soon the new compressor for the front ARB locker. Also the the override switch for the dual battery system. 4 swithes in total. So this R34 panel has 4 standard squire switch holes, 3 on the right side and one one the left side. I had to slightly trim the left side under the steering wheel and the right upper corner where it goes under the dash. Perfect fit. Made 2 holes for mounting bolts and a bracket under the right hand side of the dash. What do you think? Even a small pocket where I can store stuff, possibly sun glasses :cool:
Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

So I swapped out the open rear diff for a LS today. Makes nice chirping sounds under power when I go around tight corners.... I call that a win :cool:

Started looking for a new starter for the sd…
Not going well so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can the old one be fixed?
Possibly, I’m thinking it might be the solenoid, so if I can replace that I might be right, but I called up a rewinder and he said he’d replace the brushes too so I dunno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brushes are easy to replace, a bit of a skim or polish on the commutator and that bit is fixed.

OK, time to cut up the original ARB Datsun front bar..... Because it's not a winch bar and I finally bought a winch.
Thanks to the engine crane it was easy to remove.
Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Grille Wheel

Now this is a view I have not seen recently... Looks naked!

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille

So the winch don't quite fit as expected. I needed to cut away the bottom lip area... just about 40mm of it.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Bumper

Tach in some 5mm angle and bar for the new bottom mount area. Test fit...

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Grille

After a lot more measuring and cutting, the view from the back

Fixture Door Wood Rectangle Material property

Bottom front with a quick paint. Will redo it later as the whole bar needs a repaint, probably powder cote or something. Not today!
Bumper Hood Wood Automotive tire Machine tool

Tested and ready to drop in...
Electrical wiring Cable Gas Electrical supply Electricity

Now this was difficult to do, not the hole, but to make sure it lines up perfectly 1st time. As I did not want to cut the whole top of the bar away, I needed to make sure it would line up, sit high enough for the lever to stick through and operate without touching anything. I got lucky! Just enough space to screw the alen bolt that holds the lever, back in.

Motor vehicle Electronic instrument Musical instrument Automotive design Bumper

Attachments

Reactions: Marko_SJ
3,961 - 3,980 of 4,098 Posts