Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
3981 - 3994 of 3994 Posts

·
Registered
Datsun Patrol MQ 1982 RB25DE NEO
864 Posts
Thanks to the engine crane, it took about 2 minutes to have it back in the frame rails.
Tire Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

What to do with the ugly number plate? And I need to hide that red cable...

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel

And what to do with this red spider now living on the battery?

Automotive tire Computer hardware Electrical wiring Auto part Electronic device

Top view

Motor vehicle Bumper Car Automotive design Automotive lighting

Needs a repaint, but I would like to keep that sticker...

Automotive tire Bumper Electronic instrument Audio equipment Automotive exterior

Overall I am happy. :cool:

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,234 Posts
@Johan Safari if possible, could you take a straight on photo of that sticker, and post the dimensions of it.
I am looking to get a few made up, but the one I have is pretty far gone.

Good work with the winch install, a worthwhile addition. Have you considered a Hawse style fairlead? It'll sit in a bit further and I believe they are recommended for synthetic rope.

Also with battery cabling (we appear to have the same +ve terminal), I will likely use a MIDI fuse panel for all accessories so there is only one accessory cable running from the +ve terminal. I'd also like to replace the fusible links in the interest if tidiness. I had considered using MIDI fuses for those as well, but since just larger regular fuses and fusible links are a slow burn "fuse" I'll likely look into another option.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,895 Posts
Put some black split tubing over the red wire, will help protect it and camouflage it.

Reactions: Johan Safari

·
Registered
864 Posts
@Johan Safari if possible, could you take a straight on photo of that sticker, and post the dimensions of it.
I am looking to get a few made up, but the one I have is pretty far gone.

Good work with the winch install, a worthwhile addition. Have you considered a Hawse style fairlead? It'll sit in a bit further and I believe they are recommended for synthetic rope.

Also with battery cabling (we appear to have the same +ve terminal), I will likely use a MIDI fuse panel for all accessories so there is only one accessory cable running from the +ve terminal. I'd also like to replace the fusible links in the interest if tidiness. I had considered using MIDI fuses for those as well, but since just larger regular fuses and fusible links are a slow burn "fuse" I'll likely look into another option.
Great idea, something like this? Will look into this MIDI fuse thing. I would also like to run shunts across the individual lines so I can monitor power usage same as on my second battery. I still have an allmost empty R34 fuse box right next to the battery. Was thinking of installing a copper buzz bar in there since I already have a thick cable from the battery going there. But I like the individually fused MIDI IDEA. Maybe combine the 2?

Office supplies Circuit component Writing implement Electronic device Font

Yes again the Hawse style fairlead is a neater finish. Will see what I can find online.

Automotive design Office equipment Grille Rectangle Bumper

Attachments

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,234 Posts
Great idea, something like this? Will look into this MIDI fuse thing. I would also like to run shunts across the individual lines so I can monitor power usage same as on my second battery. I still have an allmost empty R34 fuse box right next to the battery. Was thinking of installing a copper buzz bar in there since I already have a thick cable from the battery going there. But I like the individually fused MIDI IDEA. Maybe combine the 2?

View attachment 536223

Yes again the Hawse style fairlead is a neater finish. Will see what I can find online.

View attachment 536225
Yep, just like that.
Been a while since I first looked into them, but from memory there are water resistant/proof options as well.

Adapting a small fusible link box and using plug in fusible links is another option, it seems a little harder to find a suitable box though as a lot of vehicles seem to combine the links in the fuse box. If the R34 box suits, or can be modified to, that could be a good option.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,895 Posts
How was the maths exam?

Reactions: geeyoutoo

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
113 Posts
How was the maths exam?
Bad, it was a response-type exam where each of the questions was a written response mixed in with some actual maths, yesterdays part 1 was much better, it had some multiple choice and some normal solving problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
864 Posts
Mounted new doorpanels. Looks like a 5min job but I actually spent half a day on it. I bought some brown interior parts as they match better with the leather I believe 😄

View attachment 536347
Now that is just mint. Very very nice. Mine is all black, but I need to redo them and make it look at least half as good as yous ;)

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
113 Posts
Mounted new doorpanels. Looks like a 5min job but I actually spent half a day on it. I bought some brown interior parts as they match better with the leather I believe

View attachment 536347
Looks awesome, I wish mine looked that good

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
113 Posts
Mounted new doorpanels. Looks like a 5min job but I actually spent half a day on it. I bought some brown interior parts as they match better with the leather I believe

View attachment 536347
I do have a question, did you get those custom made, or are they actually mass produced by a company?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for the compliments. I made the panels myself, it isn't hard to do. I used the old ones as a template to cut it out with a jig saw and a and router to make the holes for the plug and door handles etc. Then I glued some foam onto a sheet skai-leather and made 2 seams in it to make it look a bit better. This is then glued to the panel a put against the door. The hardes thing was that I used the wrong clips to secure the panel. They were to short, making the clips to pop out again. Using aftermarket speakers which do not properly fit didn't help either 😄

Finding new parts is very hard over here. You barely see any Patrols (and 4x4's in general) over here, most of them are the Y60 (2.8) and Y61 (2.8-3.0), so there isn't a big market for spare parts, especially not for cosmetic parts. Most of the MQ's are rotten and already scrapped or sold to foreign countries. And the thing is, if you can find 2nd hand parts, they are often as tatty and worn as the parts you want to replace so a lot of things need to be custom made.

3981 - 3994 of 3994 Posts