Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at changing my ratio as I have smashed my 4:11 on 35's. I want to run 37's but unsure if to running 4.3 or 4.6 I will still have 35's running got a few months till the new 37's get here. So what would be the bet all rounder ratio on 37's and 35's ? Not worried about speedo as I have a correction unit.

I use the ute as a daily at the moment, but I also use the ute to tow with.

Ute gets used in the mud, dunes, rocks, hill climbs basically anything I point it at I will give it a shot.

Have been thinking 4.3 with. Reduction gears to keep speed down for crawling but would lose the speed in the dunes.

Ute is making plenty of power to turn the 35's on stock gearing and has no lack of power up hills.

Any opinion would be great and suggestions

·
Registered
nissan
2,015 Posts
I run 4.6 gears with 36" tyres and the speedo is just about spot on.

I put the 4.6 gears in as I was going to use 35"s as daily tyres and I reckon 3.4 is too high for 35"s.

I am still running 33"s on some trips, it revs too hard on the open road but is still drivable. ( I am only still doing this because I am a tight arse and there is plenty of tread left on my KM2's.)

So for 37"s 4.6 gears will be ideal and a pretty damn close for 35"s

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
What power are you running will ultimately affect the decision on this!

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
i read the word 'plenty', lol
plenty for some is not enough for others.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
yes you are lacking...lol

·
Registered
nissan
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I guess plenty for me at the moment only running a billet UFi 20g and cc intercooler on the stock pump till I get some more cash, making around 200 hp forgot what torque figure it was making

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
200rwhp is enough to turn most combos.
Wow that would be laggy though wouldn't it!?
If you are upgrading your pump soon I wouldn't think it would matter all that much on ratios.
You will probably net 300rwhp, I would stick with 4.3 to keep highway cruising at low 2k rpm

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
I ran 4.3 with 37's a 20g billet and stock pump. Was very nice to drive. Now have 35's, 4.3's, dc6 and 20g and its perfect.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
4.3 and 37's should be the same as 3.9 and 33's( what im running) and its fine.
i am putting in 4.1's though when my cousin pulls his finger out and gets them out of his truck..

·
Doing It My Way
nissan
1,774 Posts
The thing i miss most about the higher gears is how much the 42 would wind out through the gears on the road not having to shift as often , probably more fun to drive. But had down sides like riding the clutch on hills and off road, Towing would suck taking off up a hill (probably be worse with a 20g )& big tyers as would going down a steep hill in 4wd but like I said, I don't have reduction gears.
It's hard to have the best of both worlds eh.
A Dc6 will make it so much more responsive ,a whole new animal. I would get the pump first then decide on your gears, i had my gears long before I had the big power upgrades and may have gone not as low but I do tow a lot and on the beach aswell. Ps you never have enough power. Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts