Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,585 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm MQTray, cheers but for some reason when I click on that link it takes me to a thread that has nothing to do with a winch..... Prob a tapatalk thing.... Will have another look when I get home!

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Clean it, sell it and buy one that don't fill up with water. They are a good winch, just a pitty that Warn don't fit some seals to them as standard (or do they have rubber seals at the drum but still let water in a drain hole on the motor?).

The rebuild thread by Leethal is bloody good starting place. Particularly read what he does for better drainage and to block the additional side drain hole that is often on the top side if the winch is mounted on the side.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,054 Posts
That looks cactus, give it to me and I'll dispose it for you... ;)

Follow Lee's rebuild tutorial and it'll be better than new.

·
Registered
nissan
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey mate, I will pm you my email, if you can send me the parts catalogue that would rock!

·
Registered
nissan
49 Posts
Swabio, where are you located.?

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
Looks to me like the winch was bolted the wrong way up.
From the photos, you can see the corrosion in the motor end mount plate is mostly around the bottom edge, as the water has sat there for a period of time, but its not the side that has the drain cast into it.
(the side thats suppose to face down to let the water drain out).

Kind of **** me that people bag out a product when it wasn't set up right.

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
From the photos, you can see the corrosion in the motor end mount plate is mostly around the bottom edge, as the water has sat there for a period of time, but its not the side that has the drain cast into it.

X2 definitely installed the wrong way up. Those drain slots are only catching water. Leethals thread is gold when it comes to these lowmounts. When installed correctly a warn is as reliable as they come.

·
Registered
nissan
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Swabio, where are you located.?
Canberra!

Mine looked like that.

Soak the parts in petrol to clean them.

If you need spares Amazon is the cheapest place.

I can send you a parts catalogue.

Thanks for the email man!

Yeah, it was supposed to have been sorted out in Jan after the initial install was stuffed...... silly me assumed all had been done properly second time around...........

X2 definitely installed the wrong way up. Those drain slots are only catching water. Leethals thread is gold when it comes to these lowmounts. When installed correctly a warn is as reliable as they come.
Will I have had a good look @ Leethals thread, and reckon I will be giving it a crack tomorrow! Prob have to source some bearings etc........................

Priced a replacement motor today @ ARB................. $780......... considering they are as low as USD$299 on amazon, that is absolute buuuuuulllllshhhite! well over double the price! Not likely! Have done the calculations, and if my repair does not work out......... then I will just get a new motor from amazon via a freightforwarder or fleabay......

·
Registered
nissan
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
will declare tomorrow as winch repair attempt day! LoL..... will see how I go!

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,585 Posts
If it's in a factory bar the winch is usually mounted upside down, as it comes from the factory. This turns the intended drain holes for the motor into filling holes! Pain in the ass, but true!

Do you have a factory bullbar?

Reactions: swabio

·
Registered
nissan patrol
32 Posts
If your winch is on a Nissan then the electric motor will be on the left hand side and the drain whole castings will be pointing up.

Drill a whole at the bottom of the end cap to let the water out.

Do not try to make the motor water proof.

My Warn winch is 15years old and is serviced by me every 3years.

Mickley

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,585 Posts
Gasket Goo and a fresh coat of paint is serving me well ATM!

Reactions: swabio

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Do not try to make the motor water proof.

Mickley
Why do you say that Mickey?

I have completely waterproofed my winch for about $50 with an air line into the motor and a drain line out to a bleed valve. I have run it underwater and nothing has got in yet.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts