Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting to the point where i can't afford to run the stupid petrol tb42 patrol i have. I'm not going to give up 4wding but can't decide whether i should get rid of this car or not. It's in pretty good condition and i have it at the point where it's reliable and everything works.

The fuel "economy" on it is crap though. So do i just get rid of it and get a diesel? get rid of it and buy a turbo diesel surf or 4runner etc or do an engine swap?

I've been reading for about 3 hours now all the threads on engine swaps, economy etc and so far i can't see many benefits in doing this over just getting a different 4x4.

If anyone has been in the same spot or could offer some advice that would be nice.

Cheers,

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Sell it - how much will you get for it?

Engine Swap - do you have 10k to throw into a car worth 1/2 that?

There are plenty of 4b's out there that are more economical than the TB42... theres a few round that cost the same to run, but with much better power too! lets be honest, its not hard to be better.

Rock and a hard place.

But I'd say buy a cheap Corolla to get round in, and use Patrol when you need to.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
154 Posts
the cost of a swap is alot of fuel. keep it and get a bike:D

·
Registered
nissan patrol 89 tb42
86 Posts
YEP, Had the same problem 5 yrs ago with mine , so i sold the road bike be cause you cant take it camping with the family, put the old girl on gas ,one month before the gas rebate (bugger) cost me 2100 bucks cash and has been the best thing ive done for the gq i think you still get back about 1600 bucks off the grovernment for doing a gas conversion . keep it and gas it !!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
My old GQ TB42 worked out cheaper to run on gas than my wifes 2.0 turboed GT Forester, even though it was twice the weight, and twice the size in engine capacity.
Having experienced that cheap cost of running, we have sold her Forester and gone and got a Dedicated gas Falcon wagon, we are both happy, bigger car, more room, comfy and cheap to run.
I would put yours on Gas and mostly run it on gas, you wont look back once you've done it. Ask around, look how many GQ's run on gas.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
So do i just get rid of it and get a diesel? get rid of it and buy a turbo diesel surf or 4runner etc or do an engine swap?
Yep buy a diesel but seriously, a surf or 4runner? :confused:
You'd pick up a decent TD42 for under 10K and any mods on your GQ can be swapped over.
My brother in law has a 2.8 Hilux that he turbo'd and now he has a GQ TD42 with a turbo and he cant believe how much more power and better economy it has over the 2.8

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
put a huge gas tank in the back of it and work around the loss of space.

·
Registered
nissan
2,694 Posts
I know my TD42 is pretty thirsty, Approx 8km/L, just how thirsty are the TB's?

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
But I'd say buy a cheap Corolla to get round in, and use Patrol when you need to.
This is your best answer...
times a milliontytween!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
102 Posts
3.0L despite the absaloute bagging they recieve on here will give you good fuel economy and reasonable power. Just get the right model. The early 3.0 are the time bombs and the CRDs have had there fair share of problems as many people will tell you on this forum. I have an 05 3.0l Di patrol. Fuel economy is great. Power is good and Ive never been happier out of the 10 odd 4WDs ive owend over the years. Mine has 33s which gives it a cruising speed of [email protected] Which gives great highway economy.

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
I second that benno77. My 03 3L does pretty well on a tank as long as you drive it like it's a 4dw and not an ss commodore. It chews a little bit more if you need to tow something though.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
I just wanna know
How does 4x4 and economy come in the same sentence ???
Most 4x4s are dearer to run than most V8s ???
I wouldnt sell my TB42e (GQ) for anything
Wouldnt back trade to a GU or even a smaller engined 4x4
Love the car,love the power,dont love the economy
Sh*t happens
But i couldnt and wouldnt afford the fuel IF i drove it everyday
Who could seriously
Id go buy a 4 banger sh*tta
Or an older MQ/MK diesel
Sell the patrol and buy what thats similar ???
There aint much im afraid

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Keep it, fit extractors, cold air intake, an electronic distributor kit, HE coil, platnium plugs, a real set and forget set-up, fit an electronic gas injection kit and and tank under the back where the old tank was, and fit a sub tank from a GU for that splash of petrol. and start enjoying cheap motoring.

Shouldn't cost you more than say 5K which you'll recover quickly in savings, or sell yours and put that and the 5K towards a 4.2 diesel.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Sell it - how much will you get for it?

Engine Swap - do you have 10k to throw into a car worth 1/2 that?

There are plenty of 4b's out there that are more economical than the TB42... theres a few round that cost the same to run, but with much better power too! lets be honest, its not hard to be better.

Rock and a hard place.

I just wanna know
How does 4x4 and economy come in the same sentence ???
Most 4x4s are dearer to run than most V8s ???
I wouldnt sell my TB42e (GQ) for anything
Wouldnt back trade to a GU or even a smaller engined 4x4
Love the car,love the power,dont love the economy
Sh*t happens
But i couldnt and wouldnt afford the fuel IF i drove it everyday
Who could seriously
Id go buy a 4 banger sh*tta
Or an older MQ/MK diesel
Sell the patrol and buy what thats similar ???
There aint much im afraid
Why can't people expect their 4x4s to be efficient? No one's EXPECTING 2l/1000000kms. But when you see Prados getting 9l/h and Dis getting 10, wh can't people want better than 16s?

I have a CRD, and get 11 or 12s from it and am happy with the fuel usage. i use it everyday. i do over 1000km a week.

If you only have the on vehicle, it's only fair to want the best economy from it.

I still think a second chitta would be nbest - cheaper than replacing the patrol with a diesel model!

·
Registered
87 Posts
mate i have ln106r single cab 2.8d, would swap for your pootrol even throw in some $$$

i can get anything up to 600km out of a tank serviced every 5000km

bought it of my apprentice who lost his lisence and he had all seals fixed.

ive done the calipers/booster, reuilt the rad, repalced teh battery with a big crusier one.

its tows my 14ft/40hp boat perfectly.

have filled teh tray with peables done that how ever never again

hasa tourer top.

cheap yes, slow yes, under powered yes

but cheap rego, insurance, fuel bills reilable, cant get you into to much trouble

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
If it is a viable option (i know it isn't for everyone) get your motorbike license, i can ride my DRZ to work and back all week for less than a 9lt tank of fuel. works around about 4.5Lt per 100. of course i dont have to take anything except my lunch an phone coz my tools are all at work. you can pick up a great condition commuter bike for under 3K. Just an idea.

P.S if you ride with a careful mind for the people around you (ride as if you are invisible) then riding a bike is not as unsafe as most people believe.

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mate i have ln106r single cab 2.8d, would swap for your pootrol even throw in some $$$
e
Will PM you about this.

Why can't people expect their 4x4s to be efficient? No one's EXPECTING 2l/1000000kms. But when you see Prados getting 9l/h and Dis getting 10, wh can't people want better than 16s?
Exactly!

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I didn't mention before but i do actually have another car which is my daily. It's a magna VR-X on injected gas and it uses about 10 - 12 per hundred. I'm not expecting my patrol to get anywhere near that but seriously, 20l per hundred is ridiculous. I've just changed jobs and going bush on a weekend means that a quarter of my wage is gone, not to mention maintenance.

Had my bike license for a bit. Wouldn't sacrifice the comfort of the magna for a bike any day of the week.

Allot of people are saying put it on LPG. I'm thinking this might be an option and while it's on LPG i can save up for a 3ltr GU or a GQ diesel which is already turbo.

What's peoples experience with LPG? How far can they get out of a tank on the generic mixer system and on injected if anyone has it? I don't want to go out and not be able to come home and it's not exactly something you can carry in a gerry can. Have also head that they run a bit warm on gas?

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Your TB42 economy is on par with everyone elses
The TB42 are the dearest to run in the GQ
Always have always will be
TD42 GQ (4.2 diesel) are getting low to mid teens per 100Ks
2.8 GU diesels are mid to high teens per 100 Ks
3.0 petrol (RB30)GQ are between mid teens to low 20s per 100 ks
MQ/MK SD33 (3.3 diesel non turbo) 10-mid teens per 100Ks
MQ/MK SD33T(3.3 diesel Turbo) low -mid teens per 100Ks

The later GU 3 Litre seem to be getting good economy,but are they as reliable as the older engines ??
(The early 3.0L definately arent)
Goin LPG
The government throws about $1600 towards the conversion (IF still avaliable)
But you still have to throw in the extra
Depending iF the tank goes in the rear cargo area or underneath
You could be shelling out maybe 1K to 2K (Maybe even more)
Yes the LPG is cheaper at the pump,but they use 30% more volume than petrol
It could take you 12-24-36 months to get your investment into LPG returned
Will you have the car in two-three years

edit
A Fully worked carbed 351 V8 falcon gets better economy than a TB42 GQ

1 - 20 of 34 Posts