Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son has brought a 2004 GU ST 3.0l manual with 100k on it, noticed since he's had it that when starting it in the mornings it runs rough as hell and misfires a bit then it clears and she shes all good till the next morning, warm or hot starts she's perfect so got this feeling about glow plugs and if it is how can I be sure, is there a test I can do at home.

Are they easy to install, would I have to buy a whole set ??, would appreciate any feedback, thanks guys.

Cheers
Mainey88

·
Registered
50 Posts
Son has brought a 2004 GU ST 3.0l manual with 100k on it, noticed since he's had it that when starting it in the mornings it runs rough as hell and misfires a bit then it clears and she shes all good till the next morning, warm or hot starts she's perfect so got this feeling about glow plugs and if it is how can I be sure, is there a test I can do at home.

Are they easy to install, would I have to buy a whole set ??, would appreciate any feedback, thanks guys.

Cheers
Mainey88
Hi Mainey88
Yes, could be the glow plugs; I have had a similar problem up in the snow this season (my car has done 170k then and it was really hard to start and at times not possible at all. Turned out that 3 of the glow plugs where gone alltogether and only 1 good. Once changed spot on and no droubles at all anymore. The business which changed them are friends of mine and they told me that it is fairly fiddly work to take them out and put them back in again. A lot of mucking around apparently.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Giggi

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback Giggi, if anyone else has had a similar issue I would like to hear about it and how the problem was sorted, thanks in advance.

Mainey88

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
helms'y I will check the primer tonight when he brings the wagon home, good call mate. I will bleed it anyway just to see if it makes any difference. Bleed off at the injectors ????

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've got a 2.8 gu and i would find it hard to start of morning and it would sound horrible and was rough till it warmed up. Pulled the injectors out and tested them only one was working out of six. In the 2.8 pretty easy to to. They are connected by a single rail with power across it you unbolt that and then take the glow plugs out. To test them you need to test the resistance but i have found it just as easy to hook them up to a battery to see how long it takes to glow or see if they glow at all. Just out of experience if it is glow plugs prolly go genuine. I have put genuine ones in second time around because i bought non genuine and they lasted 12 mths and the same thing happened with my mate. Not sure if its the same on the 3.0l. They are double the price but they are great. Paid 60 bucks each for genuine. But my recommendation is to contact nizbits he is very helpful and cheaper than nissan on genuine parts.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guch88 will throw the bonnet this weekend and have a good look around, have used Garry quite a bit for bits and pieces, low prices and fast service too.

Cheers
Mainey88

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
731 Posts

Cheers
Mainey88
Hi, I'd change the fuel filter, reason - I had a filter on a Rodeo that overnight, fuel would drain back to the tank and drawing a small amount of air in past the crimped area on the top of the filter.

No doubt you have made certain the filter is fitted OK.( o'rings, tight, etc)

You could look at getting a cheapie faucet pump off EBay ?? or somewhere else and fit into the inlet side of the filter... power it up before first start of the day an see what the result is.

I had glow plug issues on my 2004 unit - I disconnected the power lead at the glow plug rail to see what the result would be .... was on the starter for a lot longer and when started was a bit lumpy but quickly smoothed out as temp came up.

Due to members noting that ceramic NGK plugs were losing tips I fitted metal tip plugs... maybe not a great advantage as I feel these may burn out in a short time - reason, the 2H Landcruiser had metal g/plugs could be fried if shorted out for i/2 a minute or so while checking them.... the ZD30 glow plug power stays on for some 5 minutes after starting, for emissions reasons, so maybe I'll be replacing them sooner than I think.

Nissan supply NGK plugs as standard... Repco were a supplier also, however I have since found out that NGK no longer will supply Repco, or from all phone calls anyone else....????

SMS Diesel Spares have HTK CP73 ceramic glow plugs at $35 ea -- Repco have Bosch at $22 ea and Engine Aust at $40

Hope this is of some use

My 2 bobs worth

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply q8160, the filter is new and on correctly, dont think its the injectors as power is still good with no excessive amounts of smoke. Will pull the glow plugs out when I get a chance and post result...................

Mainey88

·
Registered
nissan patrol 99 gr 2.8
2 Posts
I have had exactly the same problem on a 99 2.8td. Extended time to get the thing running with a smoke cloud to follow!

As i had no service history i have just had the local garage replace everything including the glow plugs and for me, the car now starts straight away and with no smoke.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have had the identical problem with a 4.2 turbo i owned. i changed glow plugs, relays, probes and sensors and god knows what. i had a couple of stealerships look at it and even a diesel shop who all claim to have fixed the problem.

i eventually traded the thing in and got rid of it with the problem never solved... the car dealer that sold it to me totally ripped me as clearly he knew it had the hassle. it started fine when i test drove it which obviously meant he was pre running it of a morning. ahahah crazy kids, ripping off the people ahahaha

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
did mine.. 2 hrs all out and in.. i would do all 4 at once. mine was very hard to start but ran fine.

Is it that easy to replace them Vince...........nothing special I need to know ??

Thanks to the others who have shared their views, I am convinced its glow plugs, no harm in pulling them and if they are ok I will put em back in after testing them then look elsewhere.

Mainey88

·
Registered
nissan
170 Posts
I have a problem starting my 2.8TD when cold (or been sitting for a day or two). I need to glow it three times, else it doesn't fire and the battery will give in. I just changed all glow plugs with no noticeable difference (not a cheap experiment) so I was think that it could be a battery fault.

Maybe the battery doesn't have enough power to light up those glow sticks enough.

Thoughts?

Will try a new battery next weekend.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I've got a 2.8 gu and i would find it hard to start of morning and it would sound horrible and was rough till it warmed up. Pulled the injectors out and tested them only one was working out of six. In the 2.8 pretty easy to to. They are connected by a single rail with power across it you unbolt that and then take the glow plugs out. To test them you need to test the resistance but i have found it just as easy to hook them up to a battery to see how long it takes to glow or see if they glow at all. Just out of experience if it is glow plugs prolly go genuine. I have put genuine ones in second time around because i bought non genuine and they lasted 12 mths and the same thing happened with my mate. Not sure if its the same on the 3.0l. They are double the price but they are great. Paid 60 bucks each for genuine. But my recommendation is to contact nizbits he is very helpful and cheaper than nissan on genuine parts.

Cheers
Dave
Do it this way & there is a chance you will bugger a working glow plug

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
11,234 Posts
try getting out a test light and make sure there is power getting to the rail while the glow plug light is on. if your not getting power. then glow plugs wont make a scrap of difference.
and most glow plugs only run 9 or 11v so hooking them up to a battery to test isnt the best thing. but i have done it before at work a few times and no dramas. all that were working before are still working now.
another way though is the resistance test. you can do it with them still in the car. you just need to disconnect the power rail across the top and test for resistance between the top pin of the glow plug and any good earth close by. then compare them to a spec or even each other. if 3 are around the same and one isnt then id be pulling them all then.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have 4 glow plugs on their way and will put them in on Thursday, will let you know what I have found and if it fixes the problem...........ova.

Mainey88

nissan patrol y60
434 Posts
i have a problem starting my 2.8td when cold (or been sitting for a day or two). I need to glow it three times, else it doesn't fire and the battery will give in. I just changed all glow plugs with no noticeable difference (not a cheap experiment) so i was think that it could be a battery fault.

Maybe the battery doesn't have enough power to light up those glow sticks enough.

Thoughts?

Will try a new battery next weekend.
for all the 2.8 owners they did have a hard start problem which lead to being a worn injector pump body causing air to enter and would drain back to tank so if glow plugs dont fix the problem then id look at pump as for the 3.0 l glow plugs were common for burning tips off i generally allow 3 secs to glow red if they dont then replace them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.