Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Green Machine
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thought I would show you a few pics of the bar I designed and made on friday.

Took me one day to make from scratch, Cost me about 150 all up. Nearly finished painting it, just need to do one more coat then I will put it on the patrol and take some more photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,833 Posts
What the others have said! Give yourself a pat on the back.:cool:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Good on you for giving it a go but it's very weak around the sides and the tubing is likely to get pushed back towards the guards/tyres.
Most tubular bars are double main tube constuction to give them strength as each tube supports the other.
In the event of impact from the front I can forsee the whole structure failing alongside the chassis mounts where the tubes join the angle iron frame as that area will act as a pivot point for the bar to rotate around.
I think you should have looked a bit closer as to how some of the comp trucks build theirs with lots of triangulation back to the chassis from all directions.
Regards Andrew.

·
Green Machine
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Here is a pic of it finished and on the car.

I still have other plans to improve it and I just planning on not hitting anything serious yet lol. You probably cant see it, but on the bottom i have strengthened it. I will be running more bracing from the side mounts to the outside and some box or the like from the mounts to the top bar. But it will do for now, because im not going to hit anything.....I hope :shock:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Good effort. Just hate the fact that nissans have this useless little sheet metal plate on front of the wheels. Think I may just grind mine off soon
Again though top job
Hmm I was thinking the same thing ay.....As im currently building up one for my Q, im considering chopping it off.

Anyway great looking bar mate!!!

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,552 Posts
In the event of impact from the front I can forsee the whole structure failing alongside the chassis mounts where the tubes join the angle iron frame as that area will act as a pivot point for the bar to rotate around.
I think you should have looked a bit closer as to how some of the comp trucks build theirs with lots of triangulation back to the chassis from all directions.
Regards Andrew.
That's ok for comp rigs but ADR's for road going vehicles specifically state that bracing from the outer corners of the bar and back to the chassis is a big no no. Hit a car and someone gets injured or or killed, and the crash investigator see's that the manufacturer could end up in jail.
I'm more worried about the rutile strength of the welds, looks like he used gasless wire which is weaker than solid wire welds or electrodes, and leaves lots of slag intrusion in the weld making it weaker.
The bar looks nice though.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I believe the original question was:

What do you think of my home job tube bar?

Honest answer? I think you'd probably get a job with Arnott's biscuit factory, designing pretzels! But fortunately we all have our own tastes....
:p;)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm more worried about the rutile strength of the welds, looks like he used gasless wire which is weaker than solid wire welds or electrodes, and leaves lots of slag intrusion in the weld making it weaker.
The bar looks nice though.
Sudso do some research on different type's of mig welding, if welded properly gasless mig welding is actually stronger than solid core gas welding, my fiancees father is a 30 year veteran professional welder and works doing major construction welding, which they now use gasless mig welding to do, as they can't justify the cost of running gas out doors anymore and changing to gasless welding has no problem pass the stringent quality expected on the site's and by the structural engineers that have to pass the work

on a tube bar like this the tube is going to fail long before any welds will, the bar looks good, but design wise very weak and I wouldn't snatch,winch or push with it

·
Banned
75 Posts
It's all out of alignment with the grill & indicators. take a close look except for the sides the rest of the bar looks as if its sitting to far to the pass side. To answer your post, No it looks like crap.:shock:

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,552 Posts
Sudso do some research on different type's of mig welding, if welded properly gasless mig welding is actually stronger than solid core gas welding, my fiancees father is a 30 year veteran professional welder and works doing major construction welding, which they now use gasless mig welding to do, as they can't justify the cost of running gas out doors anymore and changing to gasless welding has no problem pass the stringent quality expected on the site's and by the structural engineers that have to pass the work

on a tube bar like this the tube is going to fail long before any welds will, the bar looks good, but design wise very weak and I wouldn't snatch,winch or push with it
TP there are many grades of gasless wire, what they use on structural members would be high grade low hydrogen stuff like Tensi Cor or Fluxofil 42 etc. The stuff generally used at home is Shield Cor etc which is for thin mild steel or galv sheet etc single pass only kind of stuff, medium strength only and no way are the welds as strong as solid wire or CO2 shielded flux o fil wires.
Do some research on the different welding wires available and their uses and you'll see what I mean. I been welding for 30 years too.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
TP there are many grades of gasless wire, what they use on structural members would be high grade low hydrogen stuff like Tensi Cor or Fluxofil 42 etc. The stuff generally used at home is Shield Cor etc which is for thin mild steel or galv sheet etc single pass only kind of stuff, medium strength only and no way are the welds as strong as solid wire or CO2 shielded flux o fil wires.
Do some research on the different welding wires available and their uses and you'll see what I mean. I been welding for 30 years too.
wasn't intending to make you look like you don't know what your talking about, was just correcting your statement that gas less is weaker than shielded gas welding, which as we have both stated isn't always the case depending on wire types and technique used to apply the weld. ;)

I also thought it looked a bit off center, but thought nope maybe it's just me or the photo's making it look that way, I don't see what is **** about the design, I think in that regards it looks good, I picture it with a winch cradle in the middle, jeez seen some worse looking attempts than this looks wise, still say has no real strength, looking at the whole GU front end all I see is dodgy front mount install and dodgy weak mounting design for a tube bar, if it was me I would be adding some 6mm plate in a lot of the gaps between the tubes, as well as redoing the mounting design

but then what do I care it's not my front end in the danger zone when it gets ripped off or pushed back into the panels

·
Registered
174 Posts
Moral to the story , dont post your homework on here, you'll get burned everytime :)

P.S Good to see people giving it a go i say, maybe some constructive critisism not the usual attacks aye people....

·
Green Machine
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will be adding braces like these when I get around to it.

That was the piping that came with my intercooler kit, ive never hit it so it will be fine where it is. Im not keen on cutting **** to run piping through.

I personally think it looks great and for not even 150 its awesome. The winch cradle between the chassis could not possible be stronger. Im thinking of running more pipe from the side mount brackets to the outside but I dont know if im going to bother.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts