Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to splash out tonight an buy one, just trying to get thoughts on direction to go with, eg superior $350ish or the ebay road runners $195???

what are you running?

happy with the post??

has it lasted??

·
Registered
nissan
472 Posts
The roadrunner sell three types of drag link. The budget HD one you mention will be the one with male tie rod ends, they also do a XHD and 38mm chrome moly versions with HD female tie rod ends
I bought the XHD drag link from them for that little bit of extra strength. and its still doing its job after a year so no complaints from me. I find there great to deal with and are one of my favorite mail order company's. cant fault them

·
Registered
nissan
425 Posts
Hollow ones are easier to bend back. Mines still got a 15mm bend in it after I tried to straighten it with the winch. Superior one.

·
Registered
nissan
885 Posts
Note: all steering arms bend if you hit them hard enough no matter what, it's better to have them the engineered fail point then to snap off the cast knuckle flange. Seen it happen a few times now.
This.

If we're halfway up a hill in the middle of nowhere most of us can ghetto-fab a draglink/tierod repair to get home. On certain trips I've even carried a spare.

Not saying you want a weak part but I agree with Jamie, but if your unbreakable tie rod breaks the knuckle off, or the sector shaft in the steering box, we're pretty much stuffed.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Mines a 3rd's Productions Rockcrawler draglink. Had it in for about 4 yrs now. Still on the same rod ends and they are male thread ends. I got nothing negative to say about it and I dont smash through rock gardens etc I tend to pick a line and hope not to break anything but it's good to know it's there and lots stronger than the factory one.

·
Registered
nissan
1,729 Posts
I got the XHD road runner and found the tie rod ends to be fairly poor quality. The rubbers just ripped a part within a couple of weeks. Been pretty much just running the bare joint waiting for it to wear so I can bolt some genuine ones on.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
My Road Runner female female ball jointed one is bent, but my Superior HD one isn't

·
Registered
nissan
885 Posts
I got the XHD road runner and found the tie rod ends to be fairly poor quality. The rubbers just ripped a part within a couple of weeks. Been pretty much just running the bare joint waiting for it to wear so I can bolt some genuine ones on.
Actually, now I think about it, mine at the Pitman end is the same.

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
I run a road runner hd one on my wagon, have done for the last 4 years and the ends are still good.

My mate utes that I bought and am currently wrecking was running the same and a comp spec superior tierod. Guess what it snapped the knuckle. The drag link is as straight as a dime

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
I run a road runner hd one on my wagon, have done for the last 4 years and the ends are still good.

My mate utes that I bought and am currently wrecking was running the same and a comp spec superior tierod. Guess what it snapped the knuckle. The drag link is as straight as a dime

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
Any good heavy duty Drag link will do its the Tie rod I would be concerned with. Fairly small easily carried spare if your standard ones are still in good condition,.

I have 3 bent Tie rods, 2 heavy duty, one being a comp spec Superior and a standard arm. Drag links are all straight touch wood.

Gassed was that a GQ or GU knuckle ?, as I have a swivel housing here also from GU with standard tie rod straight as but snapped off knuckle. I'll be Farked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts